I’ve had this ad up for a few months advertising myself as a (free) ad-hoc coder, for anyone who wants a little bit of help around specific parts of their game. I am now re-framing this ad towards picking up entire game projects (not for free).
- Anyone who would rather focus on their writing and have someone else handle all the code and ‘building’ of the game.
- Anyone who is struggling with choice script and would like some assistance building the game mechanics they would like.
- Anyone who would like some additional support (i.e. collaboration) on their game.
- Anyone who would like a thorough code review, quality assurance or bug fix of their game.
What I can offer:
- Complete coding and testing of your entire game (from choices and control flow to complex mechanics). For examples of my code, see: (Random choices, Gender selection, Quest/event hub, Relationship checker, Clock and time tracker). You can also see much of this (and more) in action in my Hobby Project - Check out the code to see the levels of complexity going on.
How would this work?
Every project is different and the first thing would be to agree a pattern of work between us (e.g. emails, discord, github and how to best collaborate).
We would meet and discuss the game and story, what your goals are and which areas you need help with (and what you would like to achieve in terms of game mechanics). From there we can agree the best approach to take and consider the level of effort required to achieve that (from us both).
I would only look to take on projects that I feel have a good chance of being completed and released as a HG.
At that point we can discuss the best way to manage payment. Essentially, I’m open to whatever methods work best for us both.
What do you need to do?
I am not looking for ‘paper projects’ - that is, an idea that you have in your head and have not even begun planning or writing.
Completing a HG is an incredibly difficult and lengthy process and the majority of ideas never progress beyond the idea stage, or one or two chapters (including my own work!)
To that end, you should have made a substantial start on your game and be able to demonstrate your motivation to see the project through to the end.