Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

@Sneaks, water is fluid and shifting, and the ocean in particular is terrifying, untameable, in constant motion. Like Golgot said, creation is often portrayed as a process of bringing structure to the primordial chaos-ocean. Especially in the ancient Near East, the king-god (Marduk, Baal, YHWH) killing the evil chaos-monster from the sea (Tiamat, Rahab, Levyatan) is a common myth, and the Great Flood is a common horror story where creation nearly gets swallowed up in water again. So land comes to be associated with order, creation, and life, water with chaos, unmaking, and death. Rituals of total bodily immersion in water are a symbolic death or burial – being pushed down into the flux and then raised up, a new creation from the chaos-ocean.

See here for an example of a modern devotional writer (one of my favorite religious bloggers) drawing out the resonances of the old water myths for our contemporary chaos.

@Wonderboy, as it happens, I’ve just been writing dialogue about Shayard before the Hegemony. To sum it up a bit more dryly: 300 years ago Shayard was the region’s growing empire. Its conqueror kings and queens had knit together all the continent’s richest farmland under a single crown, and gone on to assimilate more marginal regions like the mountainous Rim and Reach. They were also culturally dominant, with the fastest-growing religion, the veneration of the Angels of Xthonos. Its canonical texts hail from different bits of the hill range that spans contemporary north Shayard, Karagon, and west Erezza, but many of the key ones were from Shayard (hence today’s heresy of the Shayardene Codex, which denigrates the Karagond texts, especially the later ones).

The Shayardene monarchy might well have incorporated the Wiends – then entirely fragmented into mountain tribes – or the rival civilization of Erezza, had not the desert backwater of Karagon to the north discovered Theurgy. Hera the Thaumatarch conquered Erezza, then turned to Shayard, and the rest is history.

The Xaos-storms from the far west started during the wars of conquest, and the first Wards were created to fend them off. You’ve heard stories about the soulless folk of those lands whose evil consumed them, taking the form of great vortices of Xaotic power that utterly wracked their land and would have destroyed the others too had it not been for the Thaumatarchy. (Last week, I wrote an eyewitness account of a Xaos-storm for Ch 3; so that’s something you’ll get more info on in the next update).

The stories suggest that the storms would have spread everywhere. However, there’s some sort of land corridor connecting the Xaos-lands to the Abhuman Federation down south, and the Abhumans don’t seem to have been destroyed. So there’s clearly some geographic limit to the storms.

That said, the storms aren’t the only things the Wards keep out. In the East, the elites value their protection from Halassurqs and Corsairs, and the Nyr are quite happy not to have to contend with the Unquiet Dead of the Ice-lands.

3 Likes

@Havenstone So the Xaos storms weren’t a thing until shortly after thaumaturgy was a thing? And they happened to pile up on the border of the nation that would have been Karagon’s strongest rival? Has this ever struck anyone as suspiciously convenient? It seems unlikely that the Karagon’s could have engineered such a thing, but it would be an easy bit of conspiracy minded demagoguery for someone trying to undermine the current regime. And the idea that the storms are a natural or divine reaction to the reality bending effects if thaumaturgy seems less far-fetched.

Also, while I obviously don’t know how implacable a threat the undead are, the eastern and southern wards seems like a crazy overreaction to the existence of neighboring nations. I’d think that a sizable standing army, an unparalleled order of blood mages, and a reputation for xenophobic brutality would be enough to stave off the threat of invasion. It makes sense, given the Hegemon’s apparent political culture, that they’d opt for a maximalist approach like that, but its hard to imagine that there aren’t better uses for all that blood.

2 Likes

Well, I can only imagine that that’s because the “4 wards” are actually “4 parts of the biggest friggin ward ever imagined” sort of deal and perhaps not having wards on the east would bring them down/vice versa. Then the problem with only having it in that west half of the empire is that you couldn’t bring weapons from the eastern portion of the empire in… a big no no for obvious reasons. Or perhaps these other two empires area bigger threat than the hegemony leads u on to believe.

@havenstone Not sure how the ward stops a lich tho? does it give undead walking through the barrier true death?

Oh, helot sacrifices to the undead for an alliance?!?! Seems totally legit haha.

"The Xaos-storms from the far west started during the wars of conquest, and the first Wards were created to fend them off. You’ve heard stories about the soulless folk of those lands whose evil consumed them, taking the form of great vortices of Xaotic power that utterly wracked their land and would have destroyed the others too had it not been for the Thaumatarchy. (Last week, I wrote an eyewitness account of a Xaos-storm for Ch 3; so that’s something you’ll get more info on in the next update). "

Of course this is all very likely to be mostly lies, propaganda and fearmongering on the part of the Thaumatarchy. More likely that these people, in their desperation and entirely justified efforts not to be conquered by the vile Karagonds, resorted to their equivalent of the nuclear option. If we can, in fact, come to some sort of an accomodation with the leader of the Xaos lands in the final game it is very likely that official history will be rewritten on this point to cast the evil Thaumatarchs as the villains and the people of the Xaos lands as brave and heroic defenders willing to make the ultimate sacrifice.

For the Rebellion’s effort it seems potentially more fruitful however to hint at the possibility the Storms were instead created by Hera’s successor as a false flag operation to both avoid having to face a nation (s)he knew (s)he could not conquer and simultaneously provide both justification for the wards themselves as well as an excuse to bind the recently conquered empire together through fear (remain with us or face certain annihilation) to shore up the credibility of the collaborationist elite in the eyes of their subjects. (Edit pre-empted by @Wonderboy, still it’s comforting we think alike)

"That said, the storms aren’t the only things the Wards keep out. In the East, the elites value their protection from Halassurqs and Corsairs, and the Nyr are quite happy not to have to contend with the Unquiet Dead of the Ice-lands. "

Nothing that a strong navy couldn’t potentially handle. As for the Halassur I’m still holding out hope that peaceful coexistence and trade that will enrich both societies is ultimately possible(worst case a “cold war” type standoff, but even that would still be better than the constant “hot war” the Hegemony seems to be fighting mostly for cultural and ideological reasons.)
The undead sound intriguing and present the largest unknown and unpredictable factor. Still even here there has to be a better option for dealing with them than the wasteful ,blood guzzling, wards.

Finally please write in a way for our characters to devise some new rituals associating water with both hope and change (or indeed hope for change) instead of the current religious nonsense. Especially since you’ve already given us the option to (attempt to) make a mockery of the religion by allowing us to quite openly calling our magic Goethy.

“300 years ago Shayard was the region’s growing empire. Its conqueror kings and queens had knit together all the continent’s richest farmland under a single crown”

This neatly confirms my character’s suspicions of the Lacconiers and other Shayardene nationalists. After all one does not risk life and limb on a rebellion merely to change one’s legal status from one type of property to another (helot to serf).

@idonotlikeusernames

Makes sense. I get the feeling Havenstone is going to pull a fast one on us though.

“You thought it was just a regular old evil empire? PSYCH! It was all a necessary measure to fend off an unstoppable cosmic horror! Have fun kids!”

2 Likes

Speaking of unique terminology, something I’ve been thinking about for a while… noble characters who have old Shayardine names and who have their band speak Shayarine are still referred to as kyrios/kyria – could be interesting to have an option for a Shayarine equivalent, like you do with the magic stuff.

I mostly play very Karagonized characters, but once in a while it’s nice to play the nationalist.

@Sneaks Havenstone would never do that to us…would he? :-S

1 Like

I don’t think it fits with the storyline.

Cthulhu type shit :slight_smile:

@Havenstone

“…the desert backwater of Karagon…some sort of land corridor connecting the Xaos-lands to the Abhuman Federation…”

What other geographical secrets is that blasted Karagond cartographer Hextor George-O-Graph hiding?

2 Likes

I don’t want to mess up the creative vibe going on right now but I’m just wondering if there was a change/update log somewhere. :smiley:

@Havenstone Thanks for the answer. Cant wait for the next segment!!!

@Lazerith, your character also has no idea of how a ward would stop a lich.

@idnlun, there will definitely be a chance coming up this chapter to devise rituals that go against the received religion. I don’t know about hope and change, though… that’s so 2008.

I can promise that the Karagond Hegemony is not holding back Cthulhu or anything else that’s more than three centuries old. @Player’s right: it’s not where I want to take the story. “It’s all a necessary measure”?.. well, we’ll just have to see.

@Incompatibility, No, my apologies: no change/ update log, and as you implied I’m too stuck in to the story to focus on making one right now.

@Havenstone
That’s cool, could you tell me when roughly when the last update was though? The last I read was several months ago and I want to see if anything has happened.

So no Vorpal Bunny being held back by the wards

Phew thought this might have ended up as a change from “Choice of Rebels” to “run! Godzilla is through the wards!!” :wink:

@Incompatibility

Do you remember there being an option to raid the Architelone? If you do then you haven’t missed any updates. If not you might have missed it, but the last update was quite awhile ago so I think you haven’t missed anything.

1 Like

@WinterHawk
That was one of the options when you needed to get supplies for the rebels right? If so you’re probably right. I’ll do a quick skim and see if anything changed.

@Incompatibility

Yes it was. I imagine the forum will finally explode with excitement from all the building anticipation when the update is complete so I dobut any one will miss it.

1 Like