Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

Just to clarify, I didn’t mean to state that the Harrowing process removed all nasties – “refine” and “purify” are not the same thing. And Mara made a suggestion above which I liked about getting a toxin into the blood supply, so idnlun’s comment is not off-base.

@HavenStone Well yes they may not be the same thing but refining is a way to remove impurities just think of the refining of gold you refine gold to remove impurities. But you are wright it’s not off base but the contamination of the blood would have to happen after the unlucky “volunteers” have been harrowed. That poses another question what is the security like on the blood? And another question can we come up with a name for harrowed blood please like: Harrower’s harvest, or maybe theurges’ crutch as it might be called by the helots, or have you already given it a name and I’m just rambling on?

One question are theurges sworn to celibacy?

Since the church is nothing but mouthpiece for a corrupt regime, I doubt it matters if theurgists are supposed to be celibate, they probably act like a fraternity.

The only in game thing we hear about celibacy from the church is forbidding the herb mullow for non-married couples and helots, and pre-marital celibacy for all. There hasn’t been any mention of a Theurge, Zebed, a Diakon, or Olyna having a spouse however so it’s open to interpretation.

@stsword what kind of fraternity?

One who’s members hurl fireballs at their rivals.

You should add an elite Hegemonic troop division called the Athanatoi. You should look up the definition :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I just picked this game up…and it is excellent. It’s on a short list of my favorites so far.

Just wondering, but is there anything available beyond the encounter with the two travelers in chapter 3 and/or how fleshed-out are the alternate choice-paths in the chapter?

Lots written, but not yet available – too many bugs still being worked out. I’ll circulate it as soon as the complete code for Ch 3 holds together…

Glad you’re enjoying it so far!

Speaking of bugs Havenstone, I found one a while back. If you force Breden to leave your camp you still have the option to use her for some(or was it one?) of the missions, even though she isn’t in your camp.

Belatedly answering some questions from the past couple weeks: no animal sampled so far has blood that can fuel Theurgy.

You don’t know whether Abhumans have Theurges or not, nor do you really know enough about them to answer WulfyK’s questions. The Thaumatarchy certainly considers them something between alien and animal, but you’d be inclined to take that with a grain of salt.

Combat in Ch 4 should bring together lots of stats visible and invisible: morale, anarchy, arms, various henchperson skills, etc. It won’t just be a COM or INT check.

Refining doesn’t necessarily stop with a 100% pure product, though – nor is any purification or refinement process foolproof. There will be a way to send poisoned helots in to spoil a Harrower-full of blood. Just not in this bit of the game.

And the product of a Harrower is called aetherial blood – which people take as a vague reference to the spiritual qualities endowed upon the blood by the Angels through the rite of sacrifice.

Chastity before and within marriage is valued by the Karagonds, but celibacy is not; neither Theurges nor Ecclesiasts are expected to remain unmarried. Many Ecclesiasts do, however, as their vows of commonality (holding no wealth of any kind in their own right) make them less attractive marriage partners. Most Theurges are married, including incidentally all the ones you’ve met thus far.

Yes, I know who the Athanatoi were. (: [Edit: or at least I knew the Herodotus/Persian ones – the Byzantine elite troops were new to me.] I wonder if they’re a bit too well known for me to borrow them?

Thanks for the bug catching, all. Will try to fix that for the update…

1 Like

The Byzantine Athanatoi are difinitely not too well known - You didn’t know them and neither did I.

I think an elite guard of the Thaumatarch would fit well in the world of the Hegemony. Their members could be distinguished veterans who have access to life-prolonging theurgy, both to reward them for for thier past actions and to ensure their loyalty, that’s why they’re called Athanatoi.

I was referring to the Byzantine Athanatoi who were heavy cavalrymen by the way. I liked wulfyk’s idea too, that would be cool for later in the game. If you look up “Immortals” it will take to to the Persian Immortals, but if you look up “Athanatoi” it will bring up the Byzantine Immortals.

Speaking of bug catching if you beg to the helots and raid their grain barns you won’t receive a penalty if you do them in that order. You do receive a penalty if you do it the opposite way.

@Havenstone when you say theurges are married does that mean we can use that against them by kidnapping their husband and or wife

Did anyone else think that robbing the elites would cause double the damage to the harlots because they would be the ones assumed to have taken it? I was thinking maybe there could be a way we stole from both with the help of the harlots then we discreetly gave them back there own. That way the aristocracy would be severely weakened. Obviously we would give them back portions at a time that way they don’t get caught.

Dont know if anyone else knows this but their used to be a Greek city state on Asia Minor named Xonthos and when the Persians came to conquer it the men burnt down the acropolis, killed all the women and children and launched a suicidal attack against the massive Persian army.

Jesus. I get the suicide attack but slaughtering the woman and children is just dark and doesn’t seem like it’d accomplish much.

Do you get the connection to the game?