Choice of Games vs Hosted Games

@Samuel_H_Young, Well five months is a long time! I knew yours ran into some delays but I didn’t realize it was that long.

I guess the only positive spin I will put on it for myself is that by October/November, everyone who likes superheroey stories will have bought Herofall and may be jonesing for another.

@Cataphrak
Yeah, definitely. I don’t expect Judgement of the Fallen (which I’m very, very, very close to finishing) to be published for a while, either.

@Goshman
It took me 14 months to write TotDH, and 5 months for it to be published. It’ll likely take me about 6 months to write Judgement of the Fallen, and hopefully 2 months for it to be published.

@HornHeadFan
Hopefully :slight_smile: I’m actually enjoying Community College Hero a lot more. Either way I’m sure it’ll be a hit.

@Briar_Rose, just in case you’ve not seen it, the CoG business model thread at the top of the forum might be of interest–some of the questions you’re asking have been discussed there.

And the number of hosted games is low relative to the number of WiP threads on the forum, but that’s because most WiPs are never finished, not because they get rejected.

Yeah, I’ve only ever heard of one gamebook getting rejected from HG, and that was a rumor. Supposedly someone got rejected, so they go around giving low ratings on all the CoGs and HGs.

I have never heard that CoG has ever rejected a single HG. Has it actually happened?

EDIT: Sam ninja’d me with an answer.

@Havenstone, I think that was one of my first questions when I joined the forums: What the heck happens to all these WIPs and why don’t we have 200 Hosted Games at this point?

I see now how many of them get shelved by the authors.

@HornHeadFan
It’s pretty sad. I think it’s a waste of effort :confused:

2 Likes

@Samuel_H_Young It’s not sad nor a waste of time or effort, in my opinion. I have been quitting on many of my WIPs since I started writing gamebooks. That experience made me a better writer and the one I have been writing lately is going great. I might use that experience to return to the abandoned WIPs at some point in the future.

@DSeg
Good point. I didn’t mean to offend anyone; all I meant was that I wish everyone had succeeded in finishing their WIPs :slight_smile:

1 Like

And you didn’t offend anyone. I simply disagreed with what you said.

Well, I’ve learned a whole lot. Thanks for the advice guys. Guess I should get to work on my game :stuck_out_tongue:
Another question out of curiosity. The prices of the Hosted Games seem to vary a lot. Do the authors decide the price or the site owners?

1 Like

It mostly depends on the word count, I believe, but yeah, CoG determines prices.

1 Like

@Briar_Rose
Jason told me it was a compromise, but I think it’s really up to them, as I wasn’t asked. I’d have chosen $1.99 anyway :slight_smile:

Generally, though, CoGs are priced higher.
Take this for example
NOLA Is Burning: 70,000 words - $2.99

Trial of the Demon Hunter: 86,000 words, 8 illustrations, 35 minutes of music - $1.99

Illustrations and music? Awesome! I thought the games couldn’t have art or music in them. Is this only allowed in the Hosted Games or do Choice of Story Games sometimes have illustrations too? (Besides cover art).

1 Like

@Briar_Rose
Mine is the only one with music and Zombie Exodus, Way Walkers and mine (all HGs) are the only ones with illustrations. I think CoGs can, just not many poeple worry about it.

@samuel_h_young to be fair, we had to create sound support for you. So five and a half months is a little deceptive.

@jasonstevanhill
True. I was probably too non explanatory xD

@Jasonstevanhill Now that sound support has been added once, will it be easy to implement for future games? Blackraven also has a soundtrack ready to go (although I’m still a way from publishing).

@andymwhy
I think it’s included in the CS files somewhere, so it should work for anyone who wants to add music

Glad to hear that :slight_smile: