Choice of Games and Hosted Games Recommendations -- Consolidated Thread

Any games similar to Nothing left (to burn) or any other edgy or depressing games

I liked VTM - Night Road a whole lot. Despite the shared settings I did not enjoy VTM - Parliament of Knives due to the lack of any kind of equipment or skills. What games do you think I might enjoy based on that?

3 Likes

World of darkness hosted a Jam in Ichio this month for doing games based on WoD. Eighty-eight entries so you can try them.

In Choicescript, there are two Entries. @dwsnee https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/vampire-the-masquerade-blood-frontier-submitted-vampire-jam-21

And mine https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/vampire-jam-project-morgue/110405?u=poison_mara

Could you give us feedback? That would be useful for us to learn to do better games.

4 Likes

Does the setting matter? Or do you just prefer games with skills and stats?
For the latter you might want to try Zombie Exodus Save Haven or Tin Star.

Greetings!

Pardon me if this question is already answered, but I can’t find any! Also, I wanted to put Choice & Hosted Games in the category but it can’t so I put it in General.

I don’t want to mull over some heavy choices that will either kill me or my journey, or some dark and wild ones, but rather I want something to just relax to, and enjoy how the scenes fold out.
From the title, I want to take a rest for a while because I get pressured with these options too easily, haha. I love light-hearted novels, could you help me? Games with a light romance are welcome, too!

I have already read books like Tally Ho, Jolly Good, A Sensei’s Story, Cat’s Choice, My Day Off Work, etc. And I loved them!

Thank you very much :blue_heart:

6 Likes

I like Curse of the Black Cat a lot! It’s a heist game and is a great deal of fun - sometimes higher stakes but more of an adventure romp than anything grim or stressful.

7 Likes

I would say The Parenting Simulator might be good if you haven’t checked it out before. Lighthearted is one of its main keywords. And if you have checked it out before, feel free to buy many more copies. Now that they’re vaxxed, one daughter is about to start jiujitsu and the other cello and dance lessons (not at the same time, though that would be interesting to see), all while my bank account gently weeps.

I would also waitlist CCH 2.5: Fun and Games. It’s a really neat exploration of the Community College Hero world, and while I only tested the D&D campaign section of it I thought it was a great way to get a gaming experience where the stakes are simultaneously nonexistent yet enormous, depending on the importance you place on the game within the game.

5 Likes

Hey, guys! I am a big fan story with Japanese, Korean or Chinese elements culture and I want find something new. Please, recommend what you know. I will be really welcome

1 Like

An Invincible Summer is a WiP set in China. I have no idea how accurate it is to Chinese culture, since I don’t know Chinese culture very well. I also don’t know if it’s still being worked on or not.

1 Like

Samurai of Hyuga is an on-going series. There are some Japanese elements, I believe (the setting is not!Japan, and there’s a marginalized group that I think is a stand-in for the Ainus or Ryukyuans). The plot is a bit based on some japanese legends, though it seems to lean a lot into the anime-ish side of things for the characters and such.

It’s also, uh… rather ‘mature’, so to say. It deals with some heavy subjects (not all of them perfectly, imo), so I’d recommend taking a good check at the content/trigger warnings if you decide to give the books a try.

There’s also First Year Demons, which I think takes quite a good bit of inspiration from chinese folktales and the like. You play a demon hunter in training from a family that dedicates itself to said job. It’s rather short, and I believe it was partly made to help with some university studies (I’m a bit fuzzy on the details, do forgive me), but I remember having a pretty good time with it.

1 Like

Hi! Do you know about some games with romance with older lady? I really liked Affairs of the court because of the queen. And I am playing Parliament of knives and I am not sure if I can date Eden but I like her. Is there some other game with a lady like that? Or if not, simply a woman in power?

6 Likes

Hi, i think there is one in Double/Cross

Raquel from Breach: The Archangel Job is a good one! Age is unknown but she is most definitely in power. Hard to romance though

1 Like

There’s an easy way to achieve it. During the interrogation just keep switching between the two threats (the gun and the melee) repeatedly. Every time you do it it increases her romance.

1 Like

Like them cougars and and power women eh? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Well, I like them too. Except I’m not much help because I haven’t played enough to have one that specifically comes to mind. However, I came across these two that might fit the bill.

In the second one, you can romance your lady, whom you serve.

And I liked Eden in Parliament of Knives too. :relaxed:

6 Likes

Ahh, good to know thank you!

This is a lovely review of both Weyrwood and Choice of Games generally.

9 Likes

I really enjoyed getting that one in my inbox. I’d recommend the whole list; it’s been really interesting to read about the history of the genre.

1 Like

I have played these games for years and am new to the forum and was wondering what others favorite/suggestions would be and why?

Me personally my favorite interactive novel would be fallen hero for the fact that you’re in the mind of a broken person that has a broken past and I feel like the author really did a good job with representing mental health and other serious issues that are formed in the mind. I feel like I was the character that I was really in the world.

I cant wait to see your responses :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The game I’ve enjoyed the most is definitely the WiP Stars Arisen. The characters are extremely deep, and romance is present, but optional and actually feels optional.

1 Like