Choice of Games and Hosted Games Recommendations -- Consolidated Thread

Yeah the only one I can think of that I know that gets anywhere close to what u ask is mecha ace.

Basically, I played Somme Trench and Divided We Fall, (Both are HG games based on real history with no real fantasy and stuff) and I really wanted to play some more of those kinds of games, anybody got any good recommendations for historical/history based games (Historical fiction’s good too, as long as it is based in our world but with something changed) with minimal to no fantasy elements?

1 Like

If you want a long, well written, realistic game that takes place in the past, then Tin Star is a must have. It takes place after the American Civil War in the Wild West, in times when companies tried to finish the transcontinental train line from east to west. Westerns might not be everybody’s cup of tea, they certainly aren’t mine, but that game became my favourite CoG, and after all those years, it still remains my favourite.
Great story, fleshed out characters, the possibility to play both as an honourable, lawful marshall and a miserable bastard with a tin star. On top of that it also has a very nice, clear stat system that isn’t overwhelming and is useful. It also has an implemented save system, so if you die, you can get back to the beginning of the chapter, so that’s a nice bonus.
Last but not least - it’s very, and I mean VERY, replayable. I really recommend Tin Star, and if you like it after first playthrough, try to play it again, and I guarantee that you’ll have a very different gaming experience. After about 6 replays I’m still finding new things. For me it’s a must have. :wink:

10 Likes

Tally Ho and Cakes and Ale are glorious Wodehouse-esque 1920s romps. If you’re after something lighter I’d highly recommend! Broadway: 1849 is also a good historical, and for a romance focus, there’s Jazz Age.

5 Likes

The Great Tournament series maybe… There is no magic or fantastical races in that series. Tho the world built is fictional, the main country where its story is set made me think of England in the medieval times.

2 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation! I actually bought Tin Star a while ago but I didn’t finish reading for some reason, I’ll definetely pick it up again and read it!

3 Likes

Does anyone know any good scary wips (I’m talking about extremely scary I’ve read heart of the house and although I like it I don’t consider it the least bit scary) any recommendations would be extremely appreciated thx in advance

I really love games / demos where your character’s personality matters and characters in the story actually reacts to their personality, it just gives everything more life. Recently my interest has developed towards a personality I’ve never thought of playing before. The innocent saintly type. Someone who holds no malice or negativity towards others. They’re sweet and honest. I’ve always stuck to playing a flirtatious charming type because it makes everything more fun but playing such a different type of character would be interesting.

Any recommended games where I can play as the saintly type? Let me know and I would also love to hear your thoughts about the topic!

2 Likes

I know there are games where you can play that build but I can’t think of any of them off the top of my head. As for my thoughts on that type of character, I’ll just be blunt and say that’s my least favorite type of character. I’ve always been more a fan of the sarcastic and sneaky antihero; there’s something really fascinating about playing with gray morals but The whole saintly nice guy thing makes me cringe

2 Likes

They’re fun, aren’t they? As a writer, I can say they’re much easier to write as a support NPC than a MC. Reason being, they can’t exactly know about their own naivety. That’s easier to convey in third person. But when you’re selecting options, you’d have to use a lot of dramatic irony (the reader knows but the character doesn’t) to achieve the unreliable narrator (things may not be precisely how the POV views them) effect. If there is a piece that does this well, I’d like to read it too. I use a lot of unreliable narration in my WiP, but it’s for the sake of humor. The MC is a less-than-worldly farmer. So the information the reader has to make their decisions with is sort of filtered through the MC’s ignorance.

Anyway, cool question. Hope you find what you’re looking for. Cheers! @cone

2 Likes

This is the type of MC I most like playing!

My most “saintly” MC is in “A Mage Reborn”, a WIP. It’s a bit subtle there, as it’s mostly the MC’s decisions and stuff like that that make it. Still, there is a lot of small variations to flavor text depending on personality.

The Ballad of Devil’s Creek” is a pretty peculiar one - the MC has a semi-set personality of being a bit snarky and stuff, but at the same time, you can really make an extremely nice and sweet character, even if the first impression the characters will get of them won’t necessarily be that. The game really acknowledges their personality though, even in the phrasing of some choices and stuff like that! That one’s also a WIP.

“The Bastard of Camelot” (check it out here), a WIP that’s moving to Twine really allows for a true saint of a character, but at this point in time the MC is a kid so the world around them still reacts more to the rumors surrounding them than to their true personality. Their personality WILL impact things more and more though.

To a degree, “The Exile” WIP is a bit like that too - the MC has some predetermined traits, but you can really shape your character like you want, including a very “knight in shining armor” type. The only thing I need to mention is that the game is really dark and sad, so everything will be a bit jaded.

Then, let’s not forget “Fields of Asphodel”, where the MC can be the sweetest most adorable thing ever. And yes, that’s also a WIP.

And yes, I know I did mention most of my favorite WIPs… But they are not my favorites without reason :rofl:
Keep in mind, there are a lot more, but these are some of my favorites!

9 Likes

Hi! I’m looking for games to play that are spooky, perhaps dealing the the supernatural. Preferably non violent games.

1 Like

A kiss from death is game dealing with supernaturals and a heavy romance focus over violence. It isn’t violence free but it is minimal. Spooky and nonviolent aren’t a combo I’ve really seen around

2 Likes

“A shadow Horror” as far as I remember it is bin violent. If I remember correctly the only violent thing was getting a Scratch on the leg from climbing. Everything else is more lovecraftian psycho horror

1 Like

“Fog Knows Your Name” should be a game you try.

2 Likes

Try the keeper of midnight the wip will be back up on dashingdon soon

1 Like

They’re not full games, but there was a Halloween game jam last year. You can read the entries here:

2 Likes

If you’re talking weird/creepy like a “Courage The Cowardly Dog” episode, then “Bulb Boy”, “Little Miss Fortune”, & “Fran Bow” meet the mark. They’re all on Steam. Each is a different style/type of game.

1 Like

Any games similar to Nothing left (to burn) or any other edgy or depressing games

Can anyone kindly recommend any games where our non-chosen ROs form a relationship outside of the MC? It can be a bit of an immersion breaker, at least for me, if all they are destined for is to silently pine in the background and pass wistful glances now and then while never making any attempt to forge their own true happiness.

Truly, having an unreciprocated crush absolutely sucks. But time is also healer.