Choice of Games and Hosted Games Recommendations -- Consolidated Thread

Mmm, I myself was thinking of something more along the lines of both an NPC and the MC showing interest in the same RO at the same time, and the RO having to choose between them. I think this can happen in Crème de la Crème, but I’m not 100% sure (because I care too much for the characters to pursue someone I know they like :joy:).

I definitely agree about there being no canon playthrough in these games (I think I wouldn’t be too interested in a game where it’s made plain what the author considers the “golden route” to be! Rather, all branches should feel equally developed).

Personally I’ve found that I don’t mind ROs romancing each other under certain circumstances in most instances, but I already wrote an essay on that in the Bitten! thread, so I won’t repeat myself here.

3 Likes

Probably with Hartmann, Delacroix and Max although I haven’t touched that game for quite a while now :sweat_smile:

I sense a hint of jealousy behind that statement… :smirk:

Will everyone kill me and put my head on a pike if I say that I kind of like the “Golden Ending” thing?

I mean, I come from a long list of VNs whose sole goal was to torture the reader with endless angst, drama and character deaths like there’s no tomorrow (I’m looking at you Muv-luv, alongside CROSS+CHANNEL), so of course I’m going to be a bloodhound for that everyone-lives-happily-ever-after ending. Don’t blame me, blame my friends who got me that VN list :joy:

But I agree, golden ending or not, nothing should be a substitute for a well-developed and balanced route.

That’s…a little too large for my attention span :sweat_smile: It brings up some valid points about NPC relationship dynamics though :+1:

2 Likes

I like to think the opposite that everything is Canon in IF. Well when it comes to my own games at least I subscribe to the multiverse idea. Every time you click play you are kickstarting another universe and everything in that playthrough is canon to that universe.

6 Likes

So you mean to say that one of my Unnatural PCs could’ve potentially saved the entire world while eating popsicles in an alternate universe and it would be considered canon, due to the multiverse theory?

Nice to know that :grin:

2 Likes

Exactly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, this is EXACTLY what Myrtle said :rofl:

I’m extremely bothered by that. I already tend to never replay different romances in these games and pick the exact same choices when I replay (I tend to try more things out in visual novels). But both in text based games and in visual novels, I can’t stand when some of the love interests can hook up - between them or with other NPCs. This is literally a deal breaker as far as trying other routes go. I’ll fiercely protect my chosen RO, and totally disregard the others as options.

I guess this part is also true for me:

I understand people who consider the other characters can have their own lives too and not only think about the MC, but eeeh… Even though I understand the opinion, it doesn’t mean I agree.
It would be lovely if authors who write things like that could offer players the choice for these romances to trigger or not.

Still, if I was to go more into depth than being jealous and not wanting to butt in “canon” romances, then I do have more.

Basically, one of my favorite types of romances in visual novels or text based games are romances where that love that was born between the MC and the RO actually SAVED the RO. Be it on an emotional level, or even actually saved his life. I think these are very impactful and touching romances.
But then, if that RO can actually romance someone else, on the sidelines, and be happy too… then what the heck is the point in the MC doing that, and the player going though all the hurdles relating to the romance. It’s extremely discouraging.
It basically downplays everything the MC and the player did.

3 Likes

This is a very interesting conversation about NPCs having romances with each other, but perhaps it might be taken to another thread, leaving this one for recommendations.

There must be a more recent thread than this, but until I dig one up…

5 Likes

Are there any games where we play as a god? Like The Aether and The Followers titles.

What do you think is the best ones? Genuinely curious and also want some possible recommendations lol

Tin Star, Heart of the House, Zombie Exodus, Tally Ho, and Creme de la Creme are roughly my top 5. Relics of the Lost Age and a Kiss From Death were two of the best WIPs, but they’re both gone.

You can actually still play an older version of a Kiss from Death - you can find the link by going back a few pages on the edit history of the WIP post.

My fav WIP is still Fief. Still rough and probably won’t be finished :sob: :sob: but still fun!

1 Like

It’s been a long time since I played Wizard’s Choice by Delight Games, but I wonder if there are non-interactive novels like that game, or like any of the Choice of Games like Life of a Wizard. If someone’s read something like that, I would be real glad if you let me know. Thanks.

Have you tried Magium?

Yup

Have you tried Choice of Magics?

@moonfungus I loved Choice of Magics. I only ever romanced Queen Thecla and their romance wasn’t anything to write home about. But I loved
the choices the game offered. None of the games I have played offered me such choices. For example, in any other game, The Hierophant would have been a major antagonist but in CoM, you can kill her in the beginning.

Yes

Any gangster games where the mc can be a gang leader, or just in a gang?

Life of a Mobster and Breach: the Archangel Job are the ones that immediately come to mind.

1 Like