Chain of Kindness: Book Giveaway

Some more gifts now available from generous community members:
-One giver would like to purchase someone Wayhaven Books 1 and 2.
-One giver would like to purchase someone the Sordwin Saga (Evertree Inn, Sordwin, and Lux City of Secrets).
-One giver would like to purchase ten different individuals one copy of Moonrise.
-And a number of people are open to gifting whatever game a giftee would like to play.

I’m really encouraged by the love on display here: for the readers, authors, and company. Thanks so much, everyone. Cheers.

To speak to a concern from some of the giftees re: embarrassment.

There’s no reason at all to feel embarrassed. Yes, there might be people who need a free book more than you, but that doesn’t diminish your own need. And, likely, that need won’t come at the cost of someone else’s. You have permission to read guilt-free, especially if you’re given to considering others at your own expense. Your information will be kept confidential.

17 Likes

One gifter has put forward one copy of Zombie Exodus and one copy of Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven Part 1. PM if interested.

3 Likes

A few more givers looking to purchase specific books:
-1x Fallen Hero: Rebirth
-1x Demon: Recollect
-1x The Soul Stone War
-1x Creme de la Creme
-3x less popular Hosted Games

1 Like

I’m sorry, but where is the message Icon? I clicked on your icon but I don’t see it.

1 Like

Sent you a personal message. @Frique

1 Like

If you can’t see the option to message other members it’s because you need to participate in the community a little more to raise your user trust level.

Details on all user trust level requirements are listed here.

4 Likes

@dwsnee I’m having the same issue as @Frique . I saw the reddit post, but when I came here I couldn’t seem to access the envelope thing (it doesn’t show up). I’m really sorry for the inconvenience!

2 Likes

I sent you a PM @Debt .

Hi, how many of these things must we do to advance to each level? Is it all of them or just one?

Four more gifts available:
-Tally Ho
-Jolly Good: Cakes & Ale
-A Player’s Heart
-If It Pleases the Court (releases this week)

PM if interested. @Lit_Baby I sent you a PM which you should be able to reply to.

1 Like

@dwsnee As this progresses, you should make a list of requests so we can see what people actually want. That way we know our gift is getting used.

So maybe two lists, one for what’s been requested, and one for what’s been donated. That way receivers can see what’s available and givers can see what’s in demand.

Also I have a question about the lottery system. Is it 25 recipients in total or per game? How do you determine which games are a part of the lottery? What if one person requests a less popular game and one person donates said game, but the receiver doesn’t win the lottery? If they are the only one that wants the game, do they just have to wait for the next lottery?

5 Likes

More gifts available:
-2 more copies of the “Evertree Saga” (Evertree Inn, Sordwin, Lux: City of Secrets)
-2 copies of the “Dragoon Saga” (Sabres of Infinity, Guns of Infinity)

PM if interested.

re: Claimed Minotaur

@ClaimedMinotaur I think I’ve addressed some of your concerns here. Please feel free to tell me if I haven’t. To my knowledge, this hasn’t been done before, so I’ve been learning as I go. But I’m very interested in being fair and honest.

TL;DR: a list is hard to make since I don’t have all of the requests and offers yet. This is for 2 main reasons. 1) Since some gifters are okay with purchasing any title, they end up getting moved around if a later gifter gifts a designated title I had them in place for. 2) Since some giftees give me lists of books they’d like to be gifted, I end up moving around which book I have billeted for them as gifts come in, trying to make sure everyone gets something they wanted.

2 Likes

I must have missed the bit addressing how the lottery works on the other thread.

I would be very clear on how this works with these gifters, because games can vary a lot in price. Maybe you should ask them how much they’re willing to spend rather than how many games they want to buy.

2 Likes

Mmm, yeah. I discuss the lottery in the part about people preferring to give specific books. In that case, a lottery doesn’t work on the broad scale. However, micro-lotteries will have to be held if multiple giftees submit for say, the Sordwin Saga. If only one person requests that, it will go to them. Then, people who have requested books outside designated title will be pooled with people who lost their respective micro-lotteries to be considered for donors who offered to purchase any title. I’m assuming anyone who signed up for that option has to know the prices are very different between books. If it comes down to it, I will cover the difference for anyone who over pledges, if only to not complicate the system and miss its intent. Hope this clarifies! @ClaimedMinotaur

2 Likes

It’s a safe assumption when doing a pull, or or discussing the topic, but when dealing with money it’s better to assume that they don’t know. It’s nice of you to cover costs of overspending but it shouldn’t come to that. You should ask people how much they’re willing to spend, then chose books from there. That way you can fill some requests that no one gifted and you don’t have to worry about people saying they were ‘robbed’, because unless they know EXACTLY what’s going to happen, these people will begin to pop up.

Think of it this way: When dealing with money, word it like a contract.

6 Likes

Hello Im also having the same problem as earlier, could you also send me a pm as well?

1 Like

Hello, I came from Reddit, just registered and can’t PM you. Could you please PM me as well?

1 Like

Important update: the only way to complete gifting will be for the donor to gift the recipient through Steam directly. This means at least two things:

1. The recipient’s information will have to be passed to the donor. And vice-versa–the recipient will have the donor’s information after the fact.
  2. Both parties will need to have Steam accounts, plus be willing and able to complete the transaction without me as an intermediary.

If there’s more fallout from this, I’m sure we’ll figure it out together. Sorry to have complicated things. If this changes your desire to give or receive a book, please let me know. I will adjust my lists accordingly.

3 Likes

Is there anything you can tell us about the reasoning for the change? Is it a steam thing? A CoG concern? An accountability issue?

(I worry this comment seems a bit demanding; that’s not at all my intention and I realize this may be, for a number of reasons, something you cannot share at the moment or at all.)

It’s my fault completely for moving too quickly. Sorry if it’s demanding.

It seems best that the site not become one where one user can ask another for money in a personal transaction. Who would be responsible for an error? An unfulfilled promise? What kind of customer service issues could arise?

I understand if anyone wants to withdraw their donations or requests, since the system you agreed to is no longer the one in place. Logistically, I have plenty of time to correct my pairings. Does this answer your question? @levviathan