Caught in a Reverie (Halloween Edition is finally up)

That sounds good; would it be possible to find out a little about the characters themselves, or are you keeping them as surprises until you bring out the demo?

It means daydream, more or less.

This looks very interesting! I am always one for stories about balancing two worlds/lives as long as itā€™s done well and not just cliched like some tend to be or become. For me, I love it when a game allows the MC to grow, create unique bonds with characters and make a difference with their choices. If the NPCs are more than an archtype or defined by only a few (often boring) traits, it can really make or break a story for me. I am looking forward to see where this goes! You seem like you have a few things planned already, so I will be sure to follow its development! :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s the reveal of the actual MCs customization~~ (thereā€™s one more personality base; but Iā€™m not finished with the male yet TwT so just gonna see them when the demo is up~)

Your MCā€™s appearance will be reveal once you have attain your student ID card (complete the prologue and chapter 1) Hope thereā€™s something to your liking :blush:

Even though thereā€™s only 3 personality, your MC can have other sub traits that make them even more different >w< Example; a kind MC and also be cheerful or gloomy depending on your play style. The 3 main personality is just mostly to determine your look and Reverie. (There will be 5 Reverie types.)

And as for the ROs ~ Youā€™ll just have to wait for the demo ;D

17 Likes

I can enjoy linear characters, itā€™s just harder. It depends on the character itself and how well written it is. Determining the personality is great, as long as it doesnā€™t end up too restrictive of what actions the player is allowed to choose to do.

These sub traits seem interesting. How are they implemented, will we pick the ones we want or we ā€œhaveā€ all of them and they increase/decrease according to our choices?

Anyway, if you still need people to test the game Iā€™d be glad to help. :smiley:

Will the ROs/NPCs also get their own portraits? It would be really interesting to see this, much better than the short descriptions that most games give you. It wouldnā€™t be too much work either, unless youā€™re planning on having a ridiculous amount of ROs.

Have been thinking about it actually whether readers would prefer to imagine their own ROs through the description or get to see my interpretation of the ROs.

4 Likes

You could do both. Just ask in the beginning of the game whether the player wants to see the images or not, even with the MCs portrait. Iā€™d be interested in seeing your interpretation.

donā€™t be such a tease~ :grin:

@Guhik is right, why dont you do bothā€¦ :smile:

2 Likes

I agree with the people above, an option would be fine. Since youā€™re already including descriptions of them I donā€™t think itā€™d be a big leap. Honestly I think it would be a lot more jarring to see a portrait of yourself ingame.

This seems rather interesting.

Iā€™ll keep an eye out.

This seems very interesting and canā€™t wait

1 Like

A little update >w< just tuning up the femaleā€™s part and a short playtest would be release ~

3 Likes

Can you put up a date for when everyone u give us a update

1 Like

The playtest is out~

Thank you for the wait guys >wwwww<

https://dashingdon.com/play/rose/caught-in-a-reverie-/mygame/ Hereā€™s the link to the play test

Do tell me

• If there was any coding errors
  • Spelling/grammar errors
  • How you find the whole playtest
  • Was it immersive?
  • ETC
8 Likes

Loved the beginning of the story. Cannot wait to see what happens next.

1 Like

I was slightly worried when all of the characters seemed to be female, especially when my MC starts thinking of them as ā€œcuteā€. Hopefully heā€™ll be able to romance Touya, though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

He will have a RO whoā€™s not bisexual or ā€œgenderbentā€ >www< I personally donā€™t really like it when a characterā€™s sexuality is always at the playerā€™s convenience. And theyā€™re almost, usually bisexual xā€™D. I do understand that it makes writing a lot smoother and less chaotic is a way. But itā€™s one of the essential part of a characterā€™s personality~~~

But this way it would limit the ROs T^T

1 Like

I really enjoyed what you have so far It reminds me of persona 3

3 Likes

This was really good i like wat u did with it i cant wait to try out more of this

There are a lot of typos, even just on the first page I noticed several, and the game seems to constantly switch between present and past tense. Other than that, the story seems solid. And I agree, I dislike characters who get genderswapped to fit the playerā€™s preferences. You lose a lot of the characterā€™s personality when they have to be written as both a male and a female. I prefer having fewer, but better ROs to having everyone be romance able but they all have bland, generic personalities

2 Likes