Blood of Morana (Slavic mythology WIP) 18 sep 2020 + Tumblr

@expectedoperator Man, oh man, what superb suggestions! Will definitely include them the next update :smiley:

@Illusiveacorn54 Thanks!

So, progress has been slow on my side (am fighting through lady merchant scenes and boy and boy, is she playing coy). I’ve watched some admittedly short videos on Slavic mythology and people just can’t agree on who was who and who did what. Lots of demons and other supernatural creatures though, which is awesome, because I can add them into this story. Morana is definitely a lady you don’t want to mess with. Not just because she has wolves.

Random note: I’ve also been thinking of using one of the slavic words in the story because of reasons I like them, okay :smiley:

10 Likes

So will there be a option to kill everybody in your way i hope there is.

Well. Haven’t gotten that far into the plot, but the answer is probably yes. Maybe not every single person and definitely not all at once (because there would be nothing left for me to write about lol), but there will be plenty of opportunities to do the deed.

2 Likes

Awesome cause i love having the option to be a evil bastard.

3 Likes

Hey guys, how are you?

I’m at 1/6 of the merchant route and scratched the surface of the priest route, so the plan is to update the demo sometime in the following days.

If I can get the Dashingdon to work, that is. Seems I can’t reset my password. Which is weird.

Anyway, hope you had nice holidays and of course Happy New Year!

Here, have some photos I used for reference when writing:

Safe to say, I’ve learnt a lot about fences. And Slavic architecture.

16 Likes

Glad to see you back!

2 Likes

@lokidemon007 Thanks! It’s good to be back.

So, peeps, I’ve done some thinking, while writing for Lady Lech, and I’ve come to a certain conclusion: I’ll be losing the personality stats (and only personality traits, not different types of responses). Instead, I’ll be focusing on tracking the player’s motivation, actions and interactions with the characters. Whether you helped, killed, lied … the game remembers :wink:

The idea is to track how much a certain character respects you, how much they like you, how they view you, how you feel about them etc. If one character thinks of you as a friend, that doesn’t mean you will feel about the same way - you can, for example, only be playing nice with them, because it suits you.

Really, what I want to do is similar to how @malinryden handles Fallen Hero.

Feedback is appreciated.

Cheers!

9 Likes

Honestly, I can’t really give any good feedback until I see it in action in the story. But the idea of tracking how much a character respects you or if you’ve lied to them does seem to fit nicely with what you have already in place with the reputations on the stat page and the MC’s motives overall.

2 Likes

Hit the nail on the head, @expectedoperator. All more the reasons for me to write and see how it goes.

Funnily enough, I’ve been working on the merchant’s branch only to discover that what was written fit better for the mayor/village chief’s side. Cue in some revisions and boom! Instead of working on one major branch at a time, I have bits and pieces written for three. Brain, c’mon.

Simarg is doing a lot of growling, Zaria a lot of magic and MC a lot of questioning. Huh.

7 Likes

I love the premise and what’s there so far. Glad to see you back! I like your plan for tracking deeds through companions opinion of you, I hope it works out the way you want it to! (Taking inspiration from Fallen Hero is never a bad thing)

1 Like

@JMH Thanks! We will probably see how well the tracking system works when you meet with the master after the mission.

Speaking of Master, I am fighting so hard against making them into this

Is it a losing battle?

3 Likes

It felt like our guards are the complete opposite of each other, was that on purpose ?:grin: oh and do you have a description for the guards

1 Like

I’ve been curious who the master is, after all they’ve got two gods collecting money for them…

1 Like

Wait a minute…

MC: One day, the rule will be mine and they will listen.

Vader: It is your destiny. Join me, and together, we can rule the galaxy as father and son!

There aren’t any fights near lava in our future, are there? :joy:

3 Likes

@Victoria_Princess_An When I started writing the story, I wanted the guards to represent two completely different views of the world. Kind of like yin and yang, really. The two ended up being waaay more friendly than excepted. Probably because they can understand where the other is coming from, even if they (almost never) agree.

The bantering is a plus!

Simarg: wild black hair, black eyed, muscular, 5’6", strong jaw, light stubble, tanned, solemn faced
Zaria: pale white hair to her mid-back, pupiless eyes/pure white eyes, dark complexion, willowy built with an air of elegance, 5’8"

@JMH what kind of person do you think they are?

MC: Winter is coming.

Vader: It’s useless to resist.

Olaf: Snowball fight!

Not at the moment, no. I can’t see it ending well for the MC, seeing they are a winter child and all.

10 Likes

Hey just finished reading through the demo! I love me some mythology stories so when I saw you post a link in the discord, I had to give it a go! I loved some of the descriptive language you use, it’s very well done and paints the picture of your scenes quite well.

I choose the Carpenter to target since he was the only choice that was complete. I wish I got a better idea of why he borrowed a hundred coins in the first place. I think it would help a lot when deciding how we should deal with him and his wife. If that was mentioned somewhere it didn’t stick out to me. I understood that the carpenter came to regret his decision but I didn’t exactly understand why, other than three debt collectors knocking on his door, if that makes any sense.

General Feedback:

Typos

Should be " a dozen".

Should be “a smooth forehead”

“in a kingly red-golden robe”

“a dog”

“is strong”

Misc.

I was confused when reading this part at first. I wasn’t sure if Zaria was the character talking before or a new character that was being introduced.

I look forward to more updates :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had the opposite reaction regarding the Carpenter. :thinking: Since it mentions his wife needing medicine so many times, I started to wonder if she really wasn’t sick – and even after meeting Brana I remained suspicious that the obvious wasn’t really true.

Speaking of the carpenter and his wife – for the choices where he gets killed, but especially when he becomes a berserker, wouldn’t Brana hear what’s going on outside? This is just a suggestion, but you might want to mention her one more time, whether it’s her going to her husband’s side, or her looking out through the doorway, etc., before the chapter ends. I think it would remind the player one last time as to why the carpenter wanted the money and that his death (and so the player’s choices) effects other characters as well.

2 Likes

Update happened.

Includes the expanded introduction. We are now up to 5k/16k per playthrough according to the randomtest.

Carpenter’s route is the only finished route atm.

@peaches I’ve rewritten some of the scenes, so hopefully it’s easier to remember, which target did what and why now. Thanks for the typos!

@expectedoperator Good suggestion. Will include it in the next update.

16 Likes

Is our master a human?

Here are some typo’s.

Summary

Built like an oak

Awkward sentence?
Off
Slipping isn’t needed here
Stocky, get rid of the extra “y”
The
Make
Take

1 Like

I’m already hooked! I love the premise and I’m a sucker for characters like Simarg! Can’t wait to read more.

1 Like