Awoken (Fantasy WIP) - updated 16/May/2017

Well my to do list is:

1. Find Malina
  2. Get my power
  3. Take over the world
10 Likes

More people going for the takeover path than I would have thought!

Actually, considering you get the option to say why you’re supporting the side you chose, let’s see:

For whatever path you chose, why did you/the MC choose them?

• Because I genuinely agree with them.
  • Because I want to guide them towards peace.
  • Because I want to use them for my own advantage.

0 voters

1 Like

Can we choose 2 and 3. both?

Because I want to takeover :stuck_out_tongue:.

2 Likes

How would it be both?

My character is of two minds… she ideally wants peace but she selfishly wants to take advantage of everyone too.

Edit - sorry to cause complications.

1 Like

Oh it’s no problem, it’s actually good to know the details of how people are playing :smile:

2 Likes

My MC genuinely agrees with the rebels, I’d say. :joy: He was a li’l farmer boy at some point, after all. Those roots ain’t going anywhere, y’know? The Baron hasn’t exactly done much to inspire his loyalty in either of his states (amnesiac or not). I’d be tempted to pick two options much like @Eiwynn, though mine would be torn between genuinely agreeing with the rebels and wanting peace. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I almost always chose the rebels sides (unless they are inhumane about their way of achieving their goal, like stealing From the poor and killing merciless/ with out reason) or a neutral path. Though I am a person that avoids conflict, my morals will get the better of me and I’ll chose the “right” path.

1 Like

Well the reason is simple, They are idiots all of them. Thats why I want to takeover.

1 Like

I always aim for peace on games for the same reason I always play the nice guy.

Also, I don’t think either side is in the right.

3 Likes

Are the rebels the right path, though? :wink:

None of you seem to have picked up that they’re not exactly united in opinion of what their ultimate goal is…might get interesting :smirk:

1 Like

thats why i said that they are all idiots.

1 Like

It’s kind of unclear which side my character/I’m on. I usually side with the rebels in stories like this or stay neutral :grimacing: Guess I’ll just have to play through and see what happens.

3 Likes

Part two of character guide, and wow I didn’t realise how much variation there is with Vin already until I had to write it all up. And again, spoilers.

[details=Vin]Vin is an idealist and likes an MC who comes across as sincerely supportive of the cause. They will dislike an MC who kills indiscriminately, even if the MC is supporting the rebels. You actually start building up points with Vin before you even meet them - choose to help petitioners and don’t charge for it (doesn’t matter whether for good reasons or not). Then there’s two ways to get onto the rebels path - either help them in the valley and then agree to help at the following meeting, or stay neutral at the fight but then agree to help Vin when you meet in the city.

On the first path, get the maximum relationship boost by choosing the ‘for the people’ responses. On the second path, choose to go and meet Vin at the statue. If you went to investigate the guard disturbance then asking about the ‘rescue mission’ will give a small boost.

There’s some flirt options when you meet Vin in either path which should be pretty obvious, but also if you get the ‘Kindred Spirits’ achievement (for getting the maximum relationship for that scene) it also automatically gives a romance point. (Also, if you have any romance points with Aden/Malina you’ll lose approval for flirting with Vin in front of them).

In chapter 6, pull off the wagon heist perfectly and without hurting anyone to get the greatest boost. If you’ve got romance points then you’ll get the option for a kiss - otherwise ‘hug back’ gives the highest boost.

At the party afterwards, you can talk to Vin to find out a few things about them. If you’re on the romance path and don’t want to be, pick 'Anyone special…?" and then ‘don’t take it seriously’. Otherwise, at the end of the night you’ll get the option to go upstairs with Vin - but you don’t have to do this to get the romance as there’ll be later opportunities. If you do, selecting the ‘I don’t think we should do this again’ option afterwards will break the romance off permanently.

[/details]

Serel (the Baron)

Help the guards in the valley fight or stay neutral to meet with him, and then agree to help. If you helped the guards and got invited to the hunting lodge, you’ll get the opportunity to talk at dinner.

Being used to being surrounded by sycophants and smooth-talkiing courtiers, he is amused by a more direct MC. Blunt (but not outright insulting) responses tend to get more relationship. You also get a boost from failing the knowledge check to know about his uncle/his family.

In the first conversation you get, be polite about the wine. Ask about his interests and enthuse about the play he mentions (needs magic or knowledge 30+). When he mentions that being worried about poison has become a fashion in the Maltheran court pick ‘that’s ridiculous’, or ‘that’s a difficult way to live’. If you ask about taxes pick the concerned response or drop the subject.

Kayeuris (the Prince/Princess)

So far there’s actually no way to get any approval, but that will shortly change. You get the first conversation in the neutral path.

19 Likes

Kind of ironic with your username

Scorpios can be nice, thank you very mucho. *(provided you don’t betray them anyway)

*That’s not a typo by the way.

I’m very much a scorpio, and have always been nicer than some (or a lot) of the people I’ve encountered in life for example.

That carries over into my games and makes my characters pretty soft-hearted to a certain extent.

Well I’ve only played it once so far but the story’s quite unique and interesting and I’m seeing a good number of ways the options will likely diverge, so that’s exciting. Your writing is really nice and has good pacing so far despite all the different things going on, so keep it up.:thumbsup:

Just thought I’d throw out some of the typos/continuity errors I spotted:

• Switching between present and past tense inappropriately (and some other cases around this passage):
    The terrain is rough and mostly uphill. The stranger strode ahead at a relentless pace, seemingly not tiring at all. You, on the other hand, were starting to feel the effects of everything you had been through since you woke up. Your legs ache. Everything aches. Your sleep obviously hasn’t been good for your physical condition; you wonder how long you were entombed.

• There’s no text after sending people to aid the farmers.

• Missing end quote:
    “They’re an ally. Not always the most reliable one.”
    -”What do you know about them?

• I didn’t tell Mara and Cren my name but they referred to me by name several times.

• I chose reading/knowledge as my best skill but couldn’t choose “I read about this once - it should have an enchantment worked into its harness…”?

• Cren only calls Silver a demon if you talk to him. However, later your character mentions it to Silver even if you haven’t talked to Cren.

• Missing period:
    They look impatient, but motion for you to continue.
    -That’s enough

and

I mean, when you were a student, did you…?"
-“No,” you say truthfully

• Strange transition (both are Silver speaking):
    “Maybe there was once.”
    “Aren’t you busy,” Silver remarks. “One might almost think you were trying to avoid something.”

• “They” is Silver but would be clearer in this instance to refer to Silver or “the stranger”:
    “Let’s get on with this,” you say.
    They start walking towards the iron door…

• “dowm”:
    In the meantime, keep your head dowm and stay out of trouble.

• You’re …" $[prin_ze] shrugs helplessly.

• Should be a comma:
    If anything. I’m sorry for springing this on you.

• “behind them” and “his makes”:
    He suddenly turns away from the mirror, shooting a look behind them. “I have to go. One week. And thank you.” His makes a swift movement, and then the mirror shows nothing but your own face.

And finally just a stylistic suggestion: in the beginning the word “you” feels a bit overused—I know it’s hard writing solely 2nd person but, for example, “You could almost enjoy this, up so high with the view of the mountains spreading out beneath you,” could say, “spreading out below”; “It’s also the third time they’ve told you ‘it’s just a little further’,” could be, “the third time they’ve claimed”; and “…unsure of what you are supposed to be doing, you follow them,” could be, “unsure of what else to do…”. I think the prose will feel just that much stronger with a little editing to remove any unnecessary pronouns.

Looking forward to reading more!

3 Likes

Yes, indeed, we’re quite a lovely bunch of people, if we do say so ourselves.

4 Likes

Indeed we are.

Elegantly sips some black tea in nonchalance

1 Like