Are you working on a game in ChoiceScript? Let us know!

I’ve been working on a game called “Dragonslayer” which has an open demo available at this link: http://www.choiceofgames.com/forum/discussion/3343/dragonslayer/p1

The full game is currently in development at over 50K words. Once finished it will have a minimum of 100K. It contains a couple of images but I would much prefer it is not sold for $4. The images are logos and maps but nothing other than that. It will be a couple of months until I’m finished but I hope there will be some time for my game to be reviewed!

@Ayzkalyn
I don’t think anything but the word count factors into pricing. Music and images (like in TotDH) are kinda just extras. Most likely, a 100k Hosted Game would go for $2.

@Samuel_H_Young I thought it said somewhere that games with images are sold for $3.99, and those without ones $1.99? Did I imagine this?

@Ayzkalyn
Maybe :stuck_out_tongue: TotDH, ZE, and Way Walkers all have images, but they have low prices. It could be that that’s just a factor for CoGs.

I’ve started an epic called Journey to the Silver Empire
The title needs work, but the one thing I am positive about is length.
I want it to be huge, and full of player choices

I’m attempting to follow along the same vein as LotR as a literature example
And Dragon Age: Origins as a console game example.
Where player choice, and character personality are the driving factor for a story more focused on the journey than the destination. I should have a small demo out in a month or so.

Hi! I’m working on a gamebook called Sirenia.

It’s the story of a young mermaid–you–as you come of age among your kin, fall in love (with a human, a fellow mermaid, or no one), and, after developing your magic ability and relationship with the human kingdom, almost singlehandedly change the the course of history in the biggest war the world has ever seen. Of course, as a mermaid, your unhappy destiny is to bring death–not just to those you love, but also to those who fall in love with you. Of all the battles in Sirenia, the hardest to win is the one between you and your fate.

In Sirenia, dangers and disaster lurk around every corner, but so do family, friendship, and maybe even love. With 4 chapters, 6 romanceable characters and multiple possible endings, Sirenia is a game that will stay with you long after you reach the ending…or it will, once I finish writing it.

When do you guys think is a good time to start a WIP page? I’m only a few thousand words in, and I don’t want to post things prematurely…

@Samuel_H_Young and are are working on a space epic provisionally titled ‘Colonising Kepler 62e’. After an asteroid is discovered to be on a collision course with Earth, you must develop a large spaceship capable of traversing the stars before our planet is destroyed. The game spans 25 years on Earth, hundreds of years in space and the colonisation of a new planet.
A demo is currently available on our WIP thread:

Sorry for the novel I’m about to post -_- But maybe it’ll garner some interest. I’m at about 10k words (it’s been one week) and I’m still going strong. I have a beta (really an alpha) but I’m going to wait a while to post it. Not too long, though. Message me if you want to check it out ahead of time.

I’m working on a ChoiceScript RPG called Sovereign Reality (title pending). It’s a futuristic Virtual Reality set in a Fantasy world.

It’s the year 2322. You are one of 12 Alpha-testers lucky enough to enter Sovereign Corporation’s newest Virtual Reality game through their newest invention, the Neural Interface. By plugging directly into a player’s brain, it allows players to become one with their characters, or avatars, seeing what they see, and feeling what they feel.

But this is more than “just a game.” It’s a contest. To make it fair, no one is allowed to leave the game until their avatar dies. No one knows how long it will take to get to the main objective, so all of the Alpha-testers are placed in suspended animation while their brains play the game. In the future, where companies scoff at moral ambiguity, this is just another PR stunt.

Meanwhile, Sovereign has been working a little too hard at making their game super-realistic. They’ve inadvertently angered a previously docile AI, who then starts to target the Alpha-testers as agents of chaos, and tries to prevent them from carrying out their mission. The player will have to fight against, or work with, the other Alpha-testers, and avoid the wrath of the AI.

Everything about this game is customizable. From what the name of the actual VR is, to what you call the other Alpha-testers (Alphas, players, losers, etc.). You can play as a male or female, and also choose either a male or female avatar. You can even name your avatar something completely different from your real name to hide your identity from the other testers. Each lie you tell about yourself, however, decreases your Honesty, just one of several stats. You also have good/evil, and lawful/chaotic, which allows you to be placed on a D&D-style alignment chart, no matter what your scores.

Your real-life character will have their own motivations, whether it be the $1,000,000 prize for the winner, or just playing the game for fun. Your “real-life” personality translates certain properties into your avatar, as well as the decisions you make in and out-of-game. Even relationships started outside of the game world can continue to affect you inside the game.

You can choose from three separate starting classes (for now) based on the beloved Rogue, Fighter, and Mage archetypes, but in this game your starting class doesn’t count for too much. “Levels” are nonexistant due to the scope of reality this game allows. You must LEARN to fight to get better at it. Luckily, “character creation” allows the computer to generate a perfect fighting machine for your new body. The more you do something, the better your character becomes at it.

I try to make the games I’d like to play. I don’t bog the player down with too many decisions, backstory, or stats. Everything has a purpose, and it does that purpose fairly regularly. If there’s an ability check, you might see whether you passed or failed. If you spend a day working out, your strength will increase. You have the ability to play through the tutorial, or you can skip it. Same with the introductory text. You can also turn Hints on or off at any time.

There are interesting characters, from quirky geek-turned massive fighter, to rogue vigilante-like artificial intelligence, to the one-eyed cyborg in charge of running the game. Each one of them can either help you or hurt you as the story goes on. You can be smart enough to predict their betrayal, strong enough to withstand it, or genuine enough to avoid it altogether. Will the other Alpha-testers be your allies? your pawns? or your opponents?

You have your 6 standard D&D stats (strength, dexterity, etc.) but they operate differently than a d20 system. You can also choose between a variety of melee, ranged, and magic starting weapons, with more unique and powerful items as you adventure. The game is very intuitive, and I actually have a working combat script that allows for turn-based battles, which can easily be duplicated just by changing the enemy name variable and resetting the enemy’s health. I can also add changing subroutines for complex boss battles, if I so choose. I’ve got a little experience in video game programming, and ChoiceScript makes it much easier!

As I go I am creating new spells, combat actions, and companion interaction. At the same time, you can choose to play solo (without a companion) and without magic, enabling “Hard Mode.” As of yet this doesn’t change much, but not being able to use magic or have a friend help you fight will make surviving combat a challenge.

This is based as a prequel to a book I’ve half-written, just FYI. The reason I’ve written so quickly is because I have a lot of source material.

EDIT: Happy Independence Day!

1 Like

I felt I had to freeze the last WIP at about 20 k words. Professional authors say that it is normal at a point to start to believe you are not doing your best, but it is just the way it has been with me - start something, leave it, then come back to it and finish it.

So, what I am working on is an extension of a very short gamebook I wrote a couple of years ago. The main character is a demonologist who can specialize in: mind control; intuition; transformation; runes; demonic healing. The number of skills depends on the difficulty level.

The MC has a relationship with a significant other that a supernatural origin (a succubus, vampire, angel or lupine changeling). The relations with him/her will be one of the main challenges.

The others will be related to balancing the reputations of several conflicting groups: outcast from hell; satanic cultists; nephilims. Oh, and not to forget - the MC’s nemesis - The Hoofed One.

This time, I plan to make the sex of the MC and their significant other selectable.

My “Your One Moment” is one of the games that did NOT win LordIrish’s second annual competition :-S .

But I got lots of encouraging comments and feedback, and I have been thinking a bit over the past week about how to extend and improve the game. I now think what I have written represents about 20% of the full game. I’ll be starting a forum topic for update announcements shortly, and look forward to the community’s input.

Pleasure to meet you all. I should start by saying that I’ve been a ‘lurker’ of COG for a very long time, and consistently thought about making my own games with the ChoiceScript. I’ve had hundreds of ideas for multiple stories and games, both before and after coming across this, and my love for ‘choose your own adventure’ games knows no limits. The only thing holding me back was the time and effort it would take to learn a new script/programming, no matter how simple, and until recently, before I graduated from college, I just couldn’t afford the time or energy to consider it. Now? Now I’m proud to say that idea is much more forthcoming.

And here is one such promising product:

“Memoria”.
The story takes place in a world of the same name. I plan to have the game be very unique in a lot of ways, especially in how the storyline progresses, how your choices are made and affect the world around you, along with character creation and evolution. In fact, you literally shape and dictate the appearance of your surroundings, though its not always clear when you do or how its done, least of all what the outcome will be. You are subject to creating your world just as much as your character. I really wish to emphasize the point that you -create- your story and world; not merely ‘choose’ them, like selecting food from a menu.

You literally start off as a blank slate. The MC has amnesia, and cannot recall anything about themselves. Past, present and future has become a distant idea, an unrelatable concept. They do know that, for some as of yet unknown reason, they have the ability to see and manipulate the psyches of others. Pieces of the psyche are represented by memories, as they are inherited from experiences, and our experiences shape us as individuals, hence making up multiple parts of our unique psyche. Memories in this world aren’t just idle thoughts that randomly pop up; they are complex, unique and artistic in design and are represented as such with their visual quality. They have emotional weight and a quality of power that doesn’t seem normal, and any alteration to their existence, or the addition / destruction of such, has an impact on the outside. Your character has turned up at just the right time it seems, as monstrous shadowy figures of an unknown, alien nature seem to possess similar abilities to your own, stealing and altering human memories, disrupting humanity’s ability to retain its independence as the alien creatures swarm over civilization. Sensing a connection between yourself and these beings due to your shared powers, you decide to take the fight to them, and hopefully learn something about your past - and even your future - from destroying these strange hostiles. And luckily for you, without memories of your own, their powers do not work on you. The question is, how alike are you really to these apparently evil monsters? And what other dangers do they hold, aside from their powers?
Do you want to find out? And if you do - can you survive the knowledge?

Feel free to tell me what you think! I’d love to hear it, or ideas. Anything. :slight_smile:

Hello everyone. I’m not exactly new to CoG, but I am new to the idea of writing a game. I’m currently working on one that I’m calling “The Way of the Assassin” for now, but that will probably be changing soon. I just need to think of a better name that doesn’t sound like I’m copying “Legacy of the Assassin”.

Anyway the idea is pretty simple. Here is the first page of my game:

You live in the land known as Xerinia. It is ruled by the powerful king, Falmero, whom rules with an iron fist: defy his law and the penalty is almost always death… That is if you get caught.

No one would dare oppose Falmero openly, but under hushed whispers there is talk of a guild (if you care to call a group of assassins a guild). This guild hides in the shadows and is always looking for new recruits who prove to be loyal and trustworthy of their secrets. They have a motto: “We see, but are never seen. We kill, but we are never killed. You can not see or kill an idea; however, it can see and kill you.”

But, these whispers couldn’t have any truth behind them, could they? No, of course not! There is no one in their rightful mind who would dare attempt to kill the king, let alone enough people to actually form a guild and tear down the monarchy completely!

Who would even want such a thing? The native tribes of the area were united by the great warrior-king Xerin. He is the direct ancestor of Falmero himself. Surly Falmero is worthy of the respect his ancestor earned over three hundred years ago. So how could anyone dare want to kill him? Have they no respect for authority or royalty? Of the ancestors themselves?

You know your place though. You are a simply person with simple goals.

Alright, I started a thread about my new game, called FATE. it’s an rpg, and it’s theme is basically as follows-
Game of Thrones in Space + Warhammer 40k + a bunch of other sci if that inspired me to create this game and world.
I hope to get a good story fleshed out in the massively detailed world I created through some much needed feedback and ideas on the thread, and start working on a demo ASAP.

Thanks.

I am working on a game called Klaw: The Lone Wolf where you are a police officer who goes undercover to capture a dreaded criminal. Its my first game and it is around 25k length. I am a coder rather than a writer. So if you are looking for an interactive novel you will be disappointed. Its a game where depending upon the choices, the story will be revealed.

I am working on a game called Choice of Forum. (the name will change when it’s complete) This game is medieval fantasy RPG. It starts out with you picking one of two options, which will greatly affect how the story goes. It also revolves around your character and two other important NPCs. This is still in its infancy at the moment. There will be cameos from other forum users, all of their usernames have been changed to legitimate character names. There will be a special thanks part in the glossary or at the end of the game.

This will take a very long time to finish and I intend to make it so that it will be very long. (I consider Tin Star a long one so it’ll be around thereish if at all possible) This sounds cocky, but I have a lot of free time and I love writing so this is what I normally do most of the time.

It’s my first game; I’m more of a writer than a coder and I’m working with a fantastic team on this project. Here is what’s been done so far for it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xruvnm9u978xsnk/Choice%20of%20Forum.html

For anymore information check out the thread “Choice of Forum(working title)”

I’ve begun a project called The Barrens, in which you control a character trying to survive in 2081 New England, after a nuclear holocaust brought civilization to its knees. Daily activities include fighting raiders, taking out mutated animals, and the occasional radiation poisoning.

So far I have a little over 13k words (including code) but intend to add another 9-10k with each new chapter. Lengthwise, I have no predictions what the end result will amount to. I also plan to put a few illustrations in game.

Thank you for your time and here’s the link if you want to have a quick look over it. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/318000560/web/thebarrens/index.html

Hi everyone. I’m still pretty new at this, but I’ve been working on my own project. I’m trying to create a survival horror game, or at least an adventure game reminiscent of the genre, since some things just can’t be done the same way with a text-based structure. Its working title is The Mansion, but that will probably change once I have a clearer view of the plot.

In The Mansion, you wake up in a dark room. Once you get your bearings (whether this is by lighting a candle in the room or just exiting into the hall), you realize you’re in a mansion infested with strange monsters. A friend called you there the night before, but betrayed and trapped you for reasons unknown. Now you need to explore the mansion so you can escape–and learn the truth about its mysteries.

So far I’ve got about 3600 words (story, choices, code–everything) and have an inventory with health items, equipment (weapons), and key items, a combat system that allows for either fighting or running, a safe room/save system, and the framework for puzzles.

Greetings!

I have stepped out of the lurker shadows. :slight_smile: Just want to say I’ve been a fan of interactive fiction since waaaay back in the InfoCom days, but I much prefer the CoG multiple-choice gameplay.

I’ve been working on a IF time-travel romance written in ChoiceScript. It’s based on the events of the Trojan War. You play as a modern-day Classical Lit grad student transported back in time and dropped into the role of Cassandra, prophetess and priestess of Troy. (Didn’t you ever wonder how she knew all the things that were going to happen?) Obviously you don’t have a choice of gender, but you get the option to seduce (or not) many different people, while trying to navigate the power struggles during the Trojan War.

I’m at around 2500 words for 2 or 3 scenes. I might have short demo up for a look in a week or two.

Thanks for reading!

-Cass

5 Likes

Hi, all:

I have started a topic for my work in progress, Your one Moment. It’s an adventure set in 1800’s eastern Canada, with spies, betrayals, invasions, and the possibility of romance.

Here’ the rundown on my new thread and WiP- “The Order of The Rose”

In the year 1145, following the assassination of the Empress Candor at the vile hands of the heretic known as the Black Prince, the Emperor Tiberius III set into motion the brotherhood that would become the Order of the Rose. Immune to all law save that of their elders, members of the Order are among the most powerful and influential people in the Empire. They have one directive; to root out and utterly destroy all forms of corruption, subterfuge, and heresy within the Empire. They are given the right to use any means necessary to do so, and no one, not even the royal family, are beyond their reach.

Only the best and the brightest may join their brotherhood, and they keep their number at exactly ninety nine active agents. Should one perish in the line of duty (or otherwise), the Grandmasters are deployed to their assigned territories across the Empire in search of new recruits. Once a potential recruit has been found, they are evaluated for their purity, faith, and honor. Then they are initiated into the Order under the wing of their Ringmaster. During this process, the mages of the Order perform transformations to the recruit, altering them until they become the apex of human capability and potential. Should the recruit survive the process, they are given the title of Inquisitor and assigned to a city and district.

Each Inquisitor of the Order is independent, operating however they wish, with access to nearly unlimited resources and power. The only person they answer to is their Grandmaster. How they do their job is up to them, and no questions will ever be asked.

An unwritten job of the iInquisitor is to inspire fear in the people. Give them something to be more scared of than the Black Prince and his army of foul Heretics. Most newly initiated Inquisitors are often surprised by the lengths people will go to avoid their scrutiny, but will eventually get used to it.

As well as the near unlimited wealth of the Order of the Rose, the Inquisitors also have access to the services of the Knights of the Rose. These men and women are considered the personal army of the Order, and employ their services to any Inquisitor in need of aid. However, should an Inquisitor in the field have need of an army, and there are no depositories nearby, then the Inquisitor may feel free to commandeer anything they need from the local government or authority.

In this game you will begin your journey as a potential recruit, one of five races, from one of thirteen distinct territories, each with different traits and mannerisms.