Arcanologist (Working Title)(WIP)

You called Master DeCambri Master Erigos.

I didn’t even notice XD

Thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Perhaps not when the mc is working for the kingdom, though I still think to mine being forced to work for them like that would feel worse then enslavement, particularly since the mc is very likely to get stuck with the work nobody else wants to do. So it’s hardly likely to be prestigious.

In any case it is the study part that would likely be the worst, particularly if it is at an elite university or academy as the mc would stick out like a sore thumb there among the elite youth of the Kingdom, no matter how they’re made to dress, in fact fancy dress can make the experience worse instead of better.

Lastly that necessarily sounds pretty ominous to me.

Yep, and a gilded cage is still a cage and one that can feel a good deal worse then being chained in a tiny cell.

That rather depends on the circumstances and opportunities, doesn’t it? Does that “freedom” come when the mc is still young and strong enough to choose what they want to do for themselves or does it force the mc to continue to do what they trained them for, just with a different employer at best.
Particularly since it seems that “career” would consist of helping the Kingdom conquer more lands, enslave more people and obtain the secrets of ancient civilizations, which are all things my mc wouldn’t want them to have in the first place.
Needless to say that if/when freed, provided that day ever comes my mc would prefer to do almost anything except the career and occupation they forced on him.

Fair enough, my mc probably really doesn’t like to be touched without an invitation though, particularly if said touching is out of pity.
Needless to say my mc doesn’t like Lord Erigos much at the moment.

All in all it does seem like a promising story, even if my poor mc doesn’t like his place in it. :wink:

1 Like

And that’s not even taking into consideration of if you get the rune that hides your wings removed, or if you ever wear something shorter than full-length pants. They do a good job of making you look human, but without them, it’s rather obvious that you’re a bit different. The Wall keeps magical and non-magical creatures separate. The average person has never even seen the wall, let alone been on the other side, so you would definitely turn some heads.

Your mc is definitely going to have it rough. After all, changing times bring chaos and war, and as far as you remember, you’re supposed to be right in the middle of it.

I’ll make sure to keep that in mind for when I expand on personality based choices. As for Lord Erigos, I’d say there’s a bit less pity there… rather, more of a subtle amusement towards anything and everything, mixed with interest in anything he deems unusual, if that makes any sense.

1 Like

Wait, I thought the mc had normal legs and it was just the wings? If not my mc might want to make a rune for his legs himself.

It hasn’t been seen just yet, I was going to make mention of it by the next update, but the Kala’i are a bit more different than just wings. The remaining differences start at just above the knees and go down to their feet. It can be hidden with baggy clothes and boots, but that’s a bit uncomfortable.

You can definitely hide your features, through both mundane and magical means. Or you can take the risk and say screw it to hiding.

Once I find the sketch that I made (and figure out how to post pictures) I’ll put it up here.

2 Likes

Well magical means it is for my mc then, maybe my mc my even prefer human legs to his own, particularly once ro’s come into the picture and especially if our current master hid our wings through magic but forced us to be in near constant pain by constricting the mc’s lower appendages. After all our current master certainly seems cruel and spiteful enough to to impose it on the mc as a constant, painful reminder of their new status. If so being able to wear properly fitted boots and pants without pain may in fact be one of the very, very few “benefits” of the gilded cage my mc doesn’t dislike and prefers to his current situation.

A further question, when you say magical means are the mc’s race perchance natural (limited) shapeshifters who can go from fully human to one or more hybrid forms to perhaps entirely bird-like and does the mc simply not know how to do that yet, being captured at a young age?

More along the lines of a tattoo or a bracelet with runes enscribed on it. The Kala’i do have a natural form of magic, however. It’s an instinctive control over wind which they use to fly. Their wings aren’t strong enough to allow for unassisted flight, so their bodies naturally manipulate pockets of air to aid them. The strongest fliers manage to gain a conscious control of air around their bodies, allowing them to use it outside of flight.

As for right now, your legs are hidden under baggy pants and your wings are bound with bandages, sort of like a chest wrap. DeCambri marked you with a rune that disrupts your natural magic, making it impossible for you to fly until it’s removed.

1 Like

And no footwear probably, ouch that’s cold and painful and the rest well that fits my theory that the old bastard wants us to suffer as constantly binding things is both painful and bad for your overall health. But we can (eventually) and hopefully sooner rather than later learn to do proper transformations to truly human-like and back again with magic ourselves, yes?
Psychologically a perfect magical human transformation disguise would make his life in captivity a lot easier on my mc and if we get it soon enough it hopefully minimizes the amount of bullying we’re bound to receive at any human academy or human university they might force the mc to attend.

Oh, also one further tiny mistake here:
Before he could go on, though, Lord Erigos puts his hand on his your shoulder. Or at least I assume he puts his hand on the mc’s shoulder, which as noted my mc really doesn’t appreciate.

Well, that answers my question about what happened to the MCs wings, I guess I don’t have to ask now :grin:

Well, he does have you wear boots when in public. Kala’i are much more accustomed to being barefoot than humans. While you can still walk fine wearing boots, and your entire foot does fit inside them, your rear claw does have to be jammed in. Which can get painful after a while.

I meant it more as a “Hey, calm down a bit.” Kind of gesture between Erigos and DeCambri. I’ll try to make that a bit more clear. Don’t worry though! You’ll soon meet someone who not only pities you, but also gets stuck as your handler after leaving DeCambri’s ‘employment’.

Yep! More on that next update.

4 Likes

Let’s just say if my can give himself human legs using magic that may be the one and only thing he might actually prefer in a long, long litany of misery.

Argh, yeah, that’s not really going to fly with my mc. They’ll probably come to hate this person, maybe more then their former master in very short order.

I think my mc’s ideal state would be human legs while letting his wings be free. Though of course he’ll have to magically disguise both for most of his “career” in all likelihood. At least the ability to magically disguise our mc’s features should remove the pain that bound wings and wearing boots is currently causing them.

@Palmtree219 I really like the character design

Yep! Though, if you want it to be a secure transformation, you’ll have to tattoo the runes on you somewhere. With your memory and access to DeCambri’s research as well as other resources once you begin studying, creating a runs circle to suit your needs won’t be too much of an issue.

@VioletHikari

Thanks! I enjoy sketching things out a bit here and there.

1 Like

Again my mc will probably have the lower body transformation one tattooed somewhere on him permanently (likely his inner thigh), since the one thing he might like from his new and enforced life is wearing boots (and more tightly fitted pants), at least once he can (learn to) do so without being in constant pain.
The wings one he’d probably paint on his forearm himself with ink he can was of pretty easily whenever he might feel like it.
One being permanent (new feet to symbolize a new life, with hopefully much less constant pain) and the other not so much also symbolizes how much he is literally stuck between worlds without ever being able to truly be a part of either one. Though in case of the human how much he might want to be a part of it is up in the air. He certainly won’t like his enforced career or the Kingdom’s elite and military, but he might well discover other places and social circles he’d rather be a part of. Particularly since his former tribe and life are literally dead.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.