Anyone know more details about *Title?

Out of all the commands to learn in ChoiceScript, you’d think that the *title command on the startup.txt would be the easiest, right?

But in looking over the wiki entry, I’ve noticed that it’s a little… light on details, so if anyone knows more about the restrictions, please let me know.

This is what CSIDE has told me, but I don’t know if it’s CSIDE only or something inherent in CS itself:

1. The title can be a maximum of 32 characters, although seemingly longer titles will still be displayed, and the game will run fine even with a longer title. But Quicktest checks for the length of the title.
  2. You can’t use apostrophes, for some reason.

What else am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Like

The only other thing I’ve been able to find is when the *title command was first released, but there’s not much to say on it. That said, I don’t think there are any other restrictions for it, so that’s probably why documentation is so light.

Thanks for digging up that old link. Do you know if it’s still true that there’s a 32-char limit on titles?

And is it still verboten to use apostrophes? Because I sure would like to use one to name a game I’m working on.

2 Likes

I’m afraid I wasn’t able to find any info on either of those things. Hopefully someone else has?

taking into account that we have titles like ‘A Squire’s Tale’ ‘The Magician’s Workshop’ ‘A Pirate’s Pact’ and various titles with ! I’m fairly certain it’s erlaubt

5 Likes

As far as I can see from the code, there’s no limitations on length or content in ChoiceScript itself.

The length may simply be advisory, because anything bigger looks terrible on small devices or something?

2 Likes

:joy::joy:

I believe you, but then I have to ask: why is CSIDE throwing up errors when you try to use a name with an apostrophe?

Someone had to program that in. Wish I knew why!

What’s the error message, and what version of CSIDE?

It works fine for me (albeit on a dev version):