An Office Romance Game--Updated April 10, 2019

Seems promising so far, I’ll be interested to see how this progresses. I thought it was a shame no one would help me with my report just because I’d kept to myself, bit harsh on a first day but nevermind!

@CammyCamaro I would like to suggest something about the Honest Joe/Smooth Talker stat. How about if you were a Honest Joe, you could get away with small lies, as everyone thinks that you are very trustworthy, but if you were a Smooth Talker, you could get away with bigger lies.

Anyways, just an idea.

1 Like

@ Ramidel: I see your point. I’m considering turning the relationship stats into individual ones instead of the tug-of-war format. It’ll be easier to integrate other potential lovers that way (like Jill). Plus players can have the option of developing all or none of the relationships. Sorry, but I wanna to keep the romance arc in the story. I’m a big romance story fan! However, I promise the subsequent sections will generally focus more on office events. Thanks for the feedback!

@Xt1000305: I just wanted to add more appeal to my story by adding pictures of the characters (and have an excuse to use my drawing skills >.< ). I’m still not sure if I’ll do it since it’s not integral to the story, but it might be a nice extra touch. Thank you for your comment :slight_smile:

@Happy: I guess 25 can be “Antagonist” lol. I’m new at choicescript, so I wanted to keep the stats simple. I understand using the toggle makes things too easy since it’s either-or. I’m planning on revising the relationships stats soon to allow players to either develop all, some, or none of the relationships. Thank you for your comments!

@bawpie: Yes, the office workers are quite snobby unless you build up your popularity stat lol! Thanks for trying the game out!

@ItalionStailon: I’m still figuring out how to fully integrate the “honesty” stat for the game. I definitely like your idea. To add onto it, I’d like the stat to somehow affect how often the main character’s lies are believed. Thank you for your suggestion!

UPDATE: I’ve uploaded the second section of the story. The link is available in the first comment of this thread or here (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/136119576/web/mygame/index.html). It’s a rough draft of the romance arc. Thanks for playing :slight_smile:

@CammyCamaro: Talked to the geek, and then tried to invite him for coffee and got this line:

You have to work harder on making friends. Maybe next time!

Which seems to imply I clicked ‘No’ to suggesting coffee, which I didn’t.

Re the next part - everything seems to move very quickly. I did the project with Mark, and ended up in a relationship, next thing I know Bob has feelings for me and Jill hates me - this despite me never speaking to Jill or Bob (except to disclose information given to me by Billy).

Also, affection in the workplace - everywhere I’ve worked it’s been massively frowned on to hug/kiss anyone whilst being at work. You don’t get an option to ‘refrain’ from showing any affection to Mark, which just sits a little odd with me. Maybe it’s different in other places, but I know that when I did start going out with my partner (who I met at work) I had to disclose it to my boss, and we were told under no circumstances should we make it obvious.

Other than that, I think this could be a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to seeing how it develops. :slight_smile:

@bawpie I know in many work places (such as mine) you’re free to be in a relationship with anyone of equal rank to you, but public displays of affection are frowned upon.

@CammyCamaro Your welcome. Also, after telling Bob no, Jill joked that I was the “Office Matress.” I think she meant “mistress”. When I tried to embarrass her, I got this error:
“line 115: It is illegal to fall out of a choice, it must end with a *finish or a *goto”

If I run into any more, I’ll tell you. :smiley:

“To shake things up, she boss wants two teams to come up with ideas.” I think ‘she boss’ is supposed to be ‘your boss’

Out of curiosity, is the MC a woman? The fact that you can currently only romance the men, and that both start off interested in you implies this, and there’s no option to choose.

On another note, I rather like the lack of outright dialogue, though I think some of the transitions between pages need to be smoothed out. So far, this has a kind of more laid-back feel compared to some of the other games, which is nice.

@CammyCamaro: Oh, please keep the romance arcs in and develop them! I just wanted to make sure that romances were a player’s choice instead of something they were railroaded into (which the tug-of-war looks like). The last thing we need is another Black Magic (from Heroes Rise). :slight_smile:

I think that making each relationship meter separate is a good idea; most CoGs with relationship meters do them as single traits instead of opposed pairs.

@bawpie: If your popularity stat isn’t high enough, your co-workers will say no to your invitation for coffee. Sorry about the “romance” section, I agree it moves fast. I just wanted to lay out the skeleton of that part. I’m in the process of revising quite a bit.

The story is in an office setting, but the story’s gonna have some unconventional (hopefully interesting) events sprinkled throughout. Additionally, had you chosen to make out with Mark, your boss would catch you and reprimand you, which is realistic >_<

Thank you for your comments!

@ItalionStailon: Yeah I’m not sure if I’ll use that insult, it was the only one that came to mind at the time. If you’re the “office mattress,” everyone lies on top of you lol. Thanks for letting me know about the error message. I was able to fix it.

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

@Happy: Thank you for pointing out that grammar issue! I fixed it :slight_smile:

@Wist: Yes the MC is a woman. I’m planning on letting players choose their gender eventually. For now, I’m writing from a female perspective just to make it easier on me. I’m in the process of revising the story. Soon, players can romance all the characters, male or female.

I agree that I need to work on the transitions. I usually like to lay out the main points of the story then edit. Hopefully my rewrites will add more depth to the story rather than bog it down with too much text.

Thank you for your feedback!

@Ramidel: I promise I’ll develop them so they don’t happen so abruptly >_< I went ahead and changed the stats from tug-of-war to separate meters in my revision (which isn’t posted yet). Players will have to go through the romance arc, but they’ll have the option to develop or refrain from any of the relationships.

I haven’t played Heroes Rise. I’ll have to check that out!

Thank you for your suggestions!

@CammyCamaro I like the story so far, but I would like more text on every page.