AMYGDALA: Encode NEW Demo [WIP] (updated 7/15/2020)

oh that’s a great suggestion, I’ll try to build that into the prologue!

1 Like

Are you open to personality suggestions?

Yes, to a certain extent. There aren’t currently any personality branches implemented in the demo (they’re coming in chapter one) and the personality system I currently have planned is going to be quiet/back-end rather than loud/front-end, but in the interest of giving people flexibility of playstyle I want to be sure I’m covering as many bases as is feasible.

So feel free to give suggestions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well since there is ros in the game would you consider a flustered vs flirty personality stat?

1 Like

Yep, that’s planned! There will be a direct/forward flirtation option and an indirect/shy flirtation option. That will not contribute to personality “type” but will instead affect the way romance scenes play out, allowing those not interested in the romance to avoid those interactions.

4 Likes

Well that’s great to hear

2 Likes

Was thinking that too, @Yalung, but you beat me to it. :relaxed:

Quite intrigued by this whole thing, @israphael-x, looking forward to more, for certain. :grin:

2 Likes

Loved the demo.

Depending on your preferred work methods, this could be more for a ‘to do later’ pile, than a build it simultaneously with the rest of the story as flavor text… But one thing that sticks out in a really great way is that the MC subconsciously seems to acknowledge having humanity as an intrinsic trait, but then is introduced to the things that make them very much other.

It could culminate in a fear of regaining who they were before they were made into this other, since bringing back the dead (playing off the in-story assumptions) is very much something you couldn’t do if it had been too long. Giving the MC a chance to question whether it was even right be woken up, could feasibly be a valid take on the MC’s internalized emotional state. It’s dark, no doubt, but they were clearly not meant to ‘wake up’ in the sense that they have by the time Maria, and Tad find, and remove them from the lab.

With this in mind, I am really looking forward to the mystery behind the hows, and whys of the MC’s circumstances! This demo is great! :grin:

2 Likes

Interesting start I like the whole man (or woman or person) out of time thing, even if it appears to be a shorter timeskip than the say 200+ years of a game like Fallout 4. I’m guessing something like 30-50 years, but that is just me making an assumption on scant information.

As far as the characters go, Darwin seems the most potentially interesting possible ro to me right now, but it is early days yet so it could still change as we learn more about the characters.

It’s always nice to have options, I wouldn’t personally take it though since whoever put the mc there was content to let them rot in a lab that was abandoned for at least a decade.

As for the mc waking up, if whoever put them there never meant for that to happen they could just have shut off the life support back when they abandoned the rest of the facility. Okay so maybe some intern forgot to do that, but if that is the case why not just send a cleanup team disguised as building engineers to clean up the facility prior to the actual demolition…why go to all the trouble of preserving an abandoned facility that contained just the mc…unless they were indeed still planning either further experiments or for the mc to “wake up” at a time of their choosing?

All in all for now the mystery of the mc is interesting enough to keep me hooked, but I agree with some of the others the chapters feel a bit short and they could be expanded upon a bit more. I would also love more clothing choices in the shopping part including one for fashionable, or as close as one can get in a small town thrift shop…which might also provide another clue to just how long the mc has been out. :thinking:

2 Likes

First off, gotta say thank you for this wonderful comment! I was trying to hint at this in the prologue ending scene where MC kind of “decides” what their motivation is for “living,” one of which could be to try to return to sleep, which isn’t quite what you’re suggesting but is definitely along the same lines. Perhaps I’ve revisit that prologue scene. Regardless, I’ll certainly be keeping this comment in mind moving forward. It’s definitely more in line with the mood I was trying to portray will a less hopeful MC.

I’ll try to see if I figure out a “fashionable” clothing style. I opted against it just because it’s hard to envision an amnesiac would really “know” what’s fashionable, much less an amnesiac who’s from a different “era.” That, combined with the fact that MC has … limited funds, lets say, I was worried about the realism of them being able to even afford to stay on top of fashion trends, but it’s something I can look at again!

Could you say a bit more about chapter length and what you might expand on? Right now there’s only one “chapter” and it’s the prologue (I split it into 2 scenes because it was getting too big for me to navigate, but ultimately they’re part of the same “chapter”). I didn’t want the prologue to be bogged down by too much menial stuff and personally thought it was on the cusp of being too slow/boring, but maybe that’s because I was rereading it constantly. Would love to hear more about scenes you thought were too vague or could use more detail!

2 Likes

The mc’s amnesia seems fairly limited to the personal they have not forgotten language skills or concepts, or at least not enough to make them nonfunctional and the comment about the brake pedal somewhere indicates to me the mc may even still know how to drive. So I’m curious what other skills the mc has retained and perhaps if any skills have been implanted in them, which is certainly something that would be of interest to a super soldier or secret agency run program.
So in the upcoming chapter I’d certainly be interested in discovering what the mc can and cannot do.

For the fashion specifically I was thinking that maybe in a thrift store that may contain some fairly old clothes the mc might instinctively gravitate towards what their subconscious knows.

Just a thought. I just wanted an mc who did spend a bit more time at the clothing store. Mainly because I think that even if you erased all my memories my love of clothes and fashion would be intrinsic and there is indeed limited evidence of people who have been comatose with severe memory loss discovering their old hobbies and interests anew.

About the funds thing I agree that does tend to cramp style a bit, however I grew up without much money myself so I have ample experience with buying or being gifted second hand clothing and you can look just as good with it as you can with brand new things, however you may need to put in a bit more work and time and the rule of thumb is that whatever you don’t invest in money you need to invest in time.
Often thrift stories have one or two really great items if you take the time to look closely, maybe the mc could find an iconic item of their own like a really nice (leather) coat or pair of boots/shoes?

Anyway your call and you could also save the mc taking a bit more interest in their own style and appearance for a bit later in the story when they aren’t half covered in goo.
Maybe the mc wanting to hurry up the first time would make more sense, but then give us an option to at least indicate interest by the mc mentally planning a return visit to the clothing store later on after the shower scene. :thinking:

Hmm…the limiting factor would seem to be the suburban setting for now, later on when the mc may be able to risk venturing into the city it would absolutely be possible to stretch a limited budget but an abundance of time in practically any direction you could want fashion wise.

It would also depend on what you the mc can or is allowed to do for funds later on in the story. However I’m guessing that due to the need to keep a relatively low profile something like modelling would be out no matter how good looking the mc may turn out to be once they’ve begun to properly recover. :thinking:
That said the mc may, or may not I guess, discover some skills, implanted or not that could be turned to potentially profitable uses later on.

Really the need for mc to stay under the radar may be more of an impediment to style than limited funds, come to think of it. :thinking:

I really like the story concept!

It’s a LITTLE weird to me that she has memory of a lot of stuff, but not who she is. But then again, if she was part of some science experiment or something, perhaps some sort of selective memory removal could be at play?

As far as the clothes selection thing goes, I was hoping for like… athleisure lol. And all black. I ended up picking grunge cause I thought that might be closest to all black :joy:

I’m curious to see how this will proceed, especially since I chose that my MC just wants to move forward and not worry about who she used to be. I imagine something is gonna happen to make that impossible.

2 Likes

I adore this to pieces.

The concept is amazing, and the characters are just so good already (watch me pining after both Tad and Darwin… the duality of men :pensive:)

I was so happy when you re-released the demo, and I hate that I only get around to commenting now, but do look forward to how the story will go on and the characters we have yet to meet :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow I remember reading the old demo, and when I saw that there’s a ‘new and improved’ version, I was just so excited!

I’m not that good in in-depth reviews so let me just say that I really love this wip! The concept/idea is so interesting and I’m eager to learn more about this world that you created. I also love all the characters, tho Darwin has me looking haha! Looking forward for more!

2 Likes

Hi all! Just a small (non)-progress update. My weekly word count has dropped a fair amount in light of grad school applications opening up, so the update for chapter one might not realistically be ready until December/January 2021. If only there were more hours in the day…

Thank you for your patience tho!!

11 Likes

Thought you meant December 2021 for a second :stuck_out_tongue:. Take all the time you need!

2 Likes

This is Fascinating

1 Like

Me like​:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I liked this!! Interesting concept and I’m hooked on the story already :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::+1:

3 Likes