After The Storm- Coming December 3rd!

11/30/2020 UPDATE
Get ready- After the Storm will be available to play this Thursday, December 3rd!! Thanks to everyone who read, liked, beta-tested and commented, couldn’t have done it without you guys. Keep an eye out so you can get it while it’s on sale!

Cover art by Will Jamison- you can check them out here

Hi, new author here! Just completed my first game and would love for you all to play it! It’s a post-post-apocalyptic (yes, that’s not a typo), speculative fiction novel called After The Storm.

It’s the year 2050, and you are a climate refugee tasked with rebuilding society.

Pick your way through a heartbreaking post-apocalyptic landscape and try to obtain some sunglasses. Gather allies or go it alone, hold on to your humanity or lose it in the directionless expanse. Establish a settlement, open up trade, defend yourself against invaders, build a better world, or just one you can stand to live in.

Will you create a community based on shared values, or under strict rule? Will you carve out a life for yourself? Fall in love? Make art? Or will you eschew society altogether and spend your days in exile?

Unlike most post apocalyptic stories, this is not about survival. It is about reconstruction. It’s about recovery. Where do we go from here? You get to decide.

155 Likes

Thank you to those of you who have already sent feedback! Wow, that was fast! Just a quick note- it’s more helpful to me if your feedback is specific, comments like “more choices” are helpful but incredibly vague- more possible endings, more ways to deal with situations, etc., there are a lot of different things that could be referring to. Thank you for taking the time to play and give feedback!

3 Likes

I already submitted a response but I wanted to write it as well- you wrote an excellent game.
I don’t remember seeing such a good post-apocalyptic game posted here before so double kudos to you!

3 Likes

Thank you for playing and giving feedback!

3 Likes

I submitted my response, but I just wanted say great job, I enjoyed playing and the characters :+1::slightly_smiling_face::heart:

1 Like

Submitted my feedback as well.
Good job on providing us with a complete game (still in its beta stage) with great characters and another type of apocalypse.

1 Like

Hey! Just wanted to drop by and say that you’ve done a pretty good job on this game :+1: I’m looking forward for it to be published :grin:

1 Like

I actually really enjoyed this for a testing beta it’s really good, I think maybe it could do with a bit more depth for the passing years, but it’s great either way :grin:

2 Likes

man this is a really nice story. i love the progression, the characters and how it’s pretty easy to get a good ending (too lazy to stat grind for games like the lost heir).

i really enjoyed how despite being a “post apocalyptic” story, there’s no actual fantastical threat and how things still get optimistic and hopeful. most stories like these are usually boring edgy grimdark “everyone’s dead” stories, but yours feels more grounded and shows that humanity’s resolve isnt extinguished that easy.

6 Likes

Thanks, you totally got what I was going for :smile:

3 Likes

It was very heart-warming. Sadly i don’t fix techs i break them. :grin:

1 Like

Just to be a pedant, if you’re already rebuilding after the apocalypse that would make it a post-post-apocalypse.

3 Likes

Submitted a response! Great work, I think you definitely have been able to impress your work with your own touch - it doesn’t feel like “just another” post apocalyptic game.

Out of curiosity, may I ask if English is your second language? (Not implying anything negative about your writing, quite the contrary! Just noticed some things that are reminiscent of familiar figures of speech in my own mother tongue.)

Additionally, may I ask if when we choose the great gender option of "who cares it’s the apocalypse! this also changes in any way how we see/describe other characters’ genders? I noticed we refer to Sam as “they” so it sparked my interest.

2 Likes

You got me, my first language is Portuguese, though I’m curious as to how you could tell! And no, the gender option you choose has no effect on the story :slight_smile: Thanks for playing and responding!

2 Likes

Ah, very nice! I thought that might be exactly the case. Call it writer’s (or reader’s) intuition :wink:

More precisely though, it’s because Portuguese is also my native tongue, and with the nature of a couple of the spelling mistakes I pointed out in my feedback form combined with wording choices and your name… that’s where my guess came from! :relaxed:

I don’t think a native English speaker would be able to pin point it that far (though I might be wrong!). You’re clearly quite well versed in English, and you have a nice style! Look forward to seeing what you may still have in store to share.

2 Likes

Obrigada! :smile:

2 Likes

@Luiza Ok, I just finished the game and… HOLY SHIT! That was amazing. I loved how much my actions were able to impact the world, and this is now one of my favorite games.

Edit#(bazillion): I removed all suggestions and submitted a feedback form.

2 Likes

I love settlement building games. Great work. : )

1 Like

Updated! I added more scenes with the characters, as many of you suggested. Let me know your thoughts!

6 Likes

Uhm, I just sent a one big review on it, please dont be mad, I just really liked it, probably something that didnt go in it was that I just read on your OP about just making a world you can live in, and after a nice playthrough, I figured my guy getting rich after he developed a very nice power source which helped normality come back and all was so cool. At least you dont have to choose between being rich but a dick to everyone or a poor charitable soul who didnt do anything other than give, so you can do stuff that works in everyone’s favor for pragmatic reasons, and its perfect.
Another Ted Talk, sorry.

3 Likes