Ace of Spades WIP (25/Jan - Demo 2.0 is up! Time to crime!)

I’m a sucker for a good guy bad girl dynamic so Kim is definitely on my to-do list. Also excited for this wip in general, steph’s writing is amazing as always so i’m curious to see where this goes.

9 Likes

Dunno what I can say that hasn’t already been said. This WIP is good, and it drew me in really quickly with the concise wit, and charming variety of choices. I will never not tease N as an ex, because P being all sweetly concerned was almost enough to make me feel bad about tricking them! :rofl:

Been a while since I got to laugh this much. What a delight! :grin:

10 Likes

this is hilarious, i love it

3 Likes

Oh very nice! I am enjoying this and also totally fallen for a certain FBI agent! Should be an interesting romance, the criminal and agent. Excited for more!
Also seeing that you are a writer on andromeda 6?!? I also love that game!

1 Like

@Rindax thank you so much!! A is really adorable aaaa next update will have the two missing ROs, L and R, so hopefully you’ll be able to choose one! Or not. You can romance them all! hehehehe

@TheGhost oh wow thank you!!! I’m so glad you enjoyed the demo.

For the feedback (thanks for these too btw!):
  • I’ve got a bit of experience juggling multiple ROs from my VN works, so I hope I can continue to convey each of them properly as the story progresses!
  • there is a scene to come in a future update (late chapter 2) that will give more insight on the trial too! As well as more depth to the arrest moment.
  • I’ve got some feedback that the transitions to the flashbacks could be smoother, so I’m working to polish them up, but I’m glad to know you enjoyed the way they were presented too! Also got some feedback on some grammar, so I’m hoping to get these ironed out soon!
  • yeah, there will be quite a few choices in the future that will shape whether your MC wants to be “a good one” or just stick to crime, and these will lead to different variations to all of their actions related to the plot. I’m hoping to make sure the player can choose their own stance on the crime life MC has led so far and where they want to go from there :grin:
  • AND THANK YOU, it means a lot to me to know it’s enjoyable!!! I’m hoping to have an update date soon, so please keep an eye out :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Takashi_Shin I’m glad to hear you enjoyed it!! MC’s past will definitely come up soon in the game, and I’m hoping it’ll help people decide if they want to stick to the criminal lifestyle or if they want to change their ways now that they have a chance.

@Lotta omg thank you so much :sob: :sob: :sob: it means the world to hear that, especially that my (also personal favorite) charming/sarcastic options are amusing kjdhfjkshfks I try to make all options fun, but these I can just let loose heheheh you’ll get to meet the next two ROs in the next update! Hope that makes your choice even harder, I mean, easier :grin: :heart:

@redfield jkhasdkjhakd I’m so happy to hear that! I might just end up calling my flirt options chaotic x awkward, sounds more fun this way lmao. And thank you so much for the kind words! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@xizzy thank you so much! J and N are two very different kinds of romance routes (but I love them both), I can’t wait to see which one you decide to go for!

@M.G thank you so much for the kind words!!! N being a potential ex brings a whole dose of Drama to the table, doesn’t it? :grin: and yes, I’ve got a small patch update for the demo coming up soon to try and get rid of all the pesky typos (hopefully aaa)

@violet what good is a LT without a healthy dose of hurt, right? :sob:

They’ve been in the game since they turned 18, but they dabbled in petty crimes during their teens too. MC had a good rep in the scene too, they’ve pulled some impressive stuff during their career!
I’ll be giving some more insight on MC’s past in a future update, but this pretty much sums up their professional background!

@Lan I was going to say crime is fun, but that sounds wrong AHAHAHAHA but I’m glad you enjoyed it!!

Yes! I’m planning to set up a BFF system that will take place even if you don’t romance the ROs. And if you do romance one of the, you’ll still be able to have a bromance with another RO, because friendship is important! :grin:

For the feedback
  • actually I wasn’t raised in the US, so imperial system makes no sense to me (I googled the conversions tbh LMAO I HOPE THEY WERE RIGHT) :sob: but MC has had a lot of experience abroad given their professional activities, so they’ve grown used to metric system by now
  • yes, general art thief no matter what. That’s a good point on the muscle specialization, and I will definitely be tweaking that on the demo, thank you very much!
  • A is very uh, prone to conspiracy theories and distrustful of establishments, so they got a law degree online and passed the bar, solely so they could represent themselves if need be. They extended that to help MC out when they needed it. I’ll be sure to make that a bit clearer in the story!

It’ll factor in quite a lot soon enough ehehehe :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

13 Likes

@Pigeon seeing my writing has given Dr. House vibes is one of the greatest compliments I’ve ever gotten so… thank you so much holy moly :sob: :heart:

@Suigen omg thank you so much! :sob: :heart: I promise the LT will hurt, and affect other relationships (some ROs have a lot to say about that situation…) hehe
For the flashbacks, thanks for the feedback! I’ll be looking into smoothing their transitions in the next update (including these ones). I hope they’ll be easier to adjust to once I’m done tweaking that bit.
And I’m so happy to hear you’re excited to play it! Being torn between the two sides of the law is also going to be a variable of its own, but a choice will have to be made some point! :scream:

@cornerstorecashier omg thank you!!! MC is definitely going to have many more opportunities to be chaotic, it’s a personal favorite of mine hehe. And you’re the second person to bring up the Leverage show, I really need to look it up kjdshfkjshfksd and omg a Neal Caffrey MC, that’ll definitely make for an interesting story, especially if they romace J :grin:

@superviv thank you so much! There is crime and cons to be pulled, but this is definitely romance-centered because I’m a sucker for romance and I cannot deny it. And yes you can! All ROs can be romanced by any MC, be it a super criminal, a morally ambiguous one, or one who wants to get on the right side of the law!

@Mistyleaf123 thank you so much for the kind words! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m looking into making the flashbacks transition more smoothly in the next update, hopefully it’ll read better then.

@idonotlikeusernames Neal inspired MC a loooong time ago when I first had the idea, yes, but you can play them however you see fit! MC can be even hotter than him if you want to :grin:

@elainehac123

I snorted so hard at this, thank you for this blessed comment kjhsdfkjshkjfs and omg thank you!!! It means a lot to hear that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@LadyUmbreon89 aaaa thank you! That scene was a particular delight to write, mocking N brought me life LMAO I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed it, hope I can bring out more laughs in future updates!

@Jeeshadow1 it’ll definitely be an interesting one! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: and aaa thank you so much! I’m glad you like A6 too, that’s my other baby askjhajks

17 Likes

Hi! I just wanted to say I loved this WIP! Keep up the good work. I especially loved the dialogue, I really felt like each character was their own person. They’re very unique :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow this is a phenomenal demo and it definitely gives me strong White Collar vibes. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes!

2 Likes

As a big fan of Andromeda Six I was very excited to play this demo. And I was not disappointed at all. Ace of Spades is great so far, I’m on team charming/sarcastic MC all the way, sometimes it’s really hard to choose between the two options.
So far I’m aiming at N, P and A in that order. N is my favorite because of the ex drama, I just couldn’t choose another past for him, so he will be my cannon playthrough.
Thank you for the wonderful game and keep up the good work :slight_smile:

1 Like

“White collar” vibes all over this story and I need more XD.
Amazing work some typos here and there but its great so far. Can’t wait for more!

1 Like

Yay! But also quite a tall order actually as Matt Bomer is one of the hottest US actors, imho.

But I love the the mc thus far and to distinguish my mc here from Neal in my own mind I’ve made him a super cute, blond hacker.
So less of an artist and a bit more nerd factor than Neal. Plus my hacker mc’s preference for fancy clothes and the high life, as well as him being gay also helps explain in my headcanon why he did not and does not want to work in the dudebro fake hipster, homophobic, “culture” of Silicon Valley where dressing like a bum is practically a requirement for tech guys.
I wonder if like Mozzie in White Collar the technically inclined mc’s skills extend to piloting planes and helicopters too? :thinking:

I think out of all the cute guys in the demo my mc likes Matt, the forger, best thus far. :grinning:

1 Like

Ooooh, I like this! The RO’s all seem very different in their distinct personalities, and the con artist plot always seems so cool…I really like this so far! Great start!

5 Likes

What a marvelous start. The story grips you from the very beginning, I remember in particular this line on the first page: All I can think is how pathetic it is that the last air I breathe as a free citizen is this nasty, back alley stench.

I knew I was in for a ride then, and the rest did not disappoint. The MC is one who is clearly more defined than the standard of cogs, and while I generally prefer a bit more freedom in shaping my character, here it works perfectly. We are a thief with a past the reader does not yet know, but one that, as pasts tend to do, casts a shadow on our present. I played as a more light-hearted, sarcastic MC, and let me tell you, the dialogue choices were amazing.

I found myself grinning at my screen, and sooner than I expected, I’d become attached to the main character. I believe you did a good job in setting them up - sometimes in games, particularly romance games, the MC tends to pale in comparison to the other characters. But you’ve made it clear that this is our story. Our world to navigate. And I cannot wait to read the rest.

As for the cast, I really liked all of the introductions. They weren’t too short, but not overwhelming either. And while there was a large number of characters introduced in a relatively small amount of time, you’ve managed to avoid that fatal mistake that has the readers not remembering who is who. Each RO had their moment, and they each were different from the other.

I’m personally fond of Nicholas and Matthew for now. But I’m interested in spending time with them all. As partners, friends, colleagues, or enemies. I think one of this WIP’s main strengths will be the relationships we’ll be able to form with the NPCs, and so far, it is strong indeed.

I also hope there is at least one female character who is not an RO, because as much as I love spending time with attractive men, my MC does need some women in her life too :smile:

Best of luck with your writing! You definitely have me interested :orange_heart:

24 Likes

So far, it’s already amazing and I expect a lot of people to read this, seeing as it’s written with so much detail. I noticed dialogues and thoughts differ a lot depending on your personality and that together with the many ROs it will be very much worth it to replay. I’m really excited for the rest.
PS love the “white collar” vibe

1 Like

@jennesaisquoi I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Hope you’ll enjoy the upcoming characters as well, they’re both quite different from the ones that were introduced so far. :grin:

@ofna thank you so much for the kind words!

@lo6otia thanks for all of the support!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: N’s route changes depending on whether you choose to be an ex or not, but that one is definitely the most dramatic of them all hehe

@Orelfrost I’m glad you enjoyed it! I’m also working to fix any remaining typos on the upcoming update :grin:

@idonotlikeusernames that he is, bless that man :relieved: and no, MC may have an overall knowledge of how those work, but they’re not canonically able to pilot planes/helicopters/etc.
And I’m glad you like M! That’s sure to be an interesting match with a hacker!MC :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

@Jender thank you so much!! I hope you’ll continue to enjoy this story, there’s a loooot to come still :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@RootjeB omg thank you for the kind words! I want to make sure the dialogue feels fluid for all kinds of MC. Especially because I, personally speaking, have a very sarcastic voice when I normally write, and since there can be all sorts of MCs, I want to try and make sure it doesn’t feel out of character while you read it for different kinds of MCs – so it’s good to know it worked thus far! :grin:

15 Likes

ANA!!! How dare you make me soft right after Christmas, honestly ksfjhjksf

MC’s past is set, but it’ll only work as a catalyst to the future, which you’ll get to shape while you play. Like you so well put it, it’s your story, your world, and it’ll be entirely up to the player which way they want to go with it!

Also, your bastard bias is showing, Ana… HAHAHAHAH I’m so glad you liked Nicholas and Matthew! They’re both very fun to write, and I can’t wait to start developing their relationship. Also, I’m working on a BFF feature that’ll work independently of the romance choices, so you’ll also have the chance to choose one of the ROs as a best friend, regardless of romancing an RO or not!

Oh there are a lot of female characters coming! Some of which I’m sure you’ll like, and some… well, I’ll just leave it at that. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Next update will have a prominent female side character debut in the game, and I personally love her aaaa

All in all, you have no idea how happy I am to hear you enjoyed the game! You’re sick and tired of knowing how much I love your work, so I’m honored that Ace of Spades caught your interest! Thank you so much for the kind words :sob: :heart:

22 Likes

This is gold. Pure gold. I can’t wait to read more!!! I really want to know J more, you have no idea how stoked I am.

Also anyone wanna share they’re MC’s?

My stoic/impassive mc is muscle

w< mines the teasing type that’s incredibly graceful when working but an endearing klutz when they’re not.

1 Like