Ace of Spades WIP (25/Jan - Demo 2.0 is up! Time to crime!)

Thank you so much! Ooo white collar crime is one of my guilty pleasures too, which is why I decided to take this story out of my dusty notes and turn it into IF :grin:

MC is anywhere from mid twenties to mid thirties!

And thank you so much for these catches! I’m compiling a hot fix for the demo with the typos and errors people sent me and it should be up shortly! :grin:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the support (in both A6 and here kdjfjks)!

The page break wasn’t intentional lmao thanks for pointing it out, I’m already going over all the typos for a demo hot fix!

4 Likes

@Jackpot1776 I’m glad you enjoyed it! And you won’t be forced to remain as a criminal as the game progresses if that’s how you want to play it too :grin:

@Fitra_Ai nope, it’s A and J! N and P wouldn’t work on a LT (I tried… I really did).

@Bokeh what good is life without bromance!?

@anon57188313 it’s MC centered hahahah the involved parties, A and J, have absolutely no attraction towards each other hahahah but don’t worry, it’ll hurt, I promise.

@Harley_Robin_Evans now that’s a show I haven’t watched in ages! But I did have some inspiration from it, the way it’s going to go is quite different though. :grin:

@Avi don’t hibernate, Xiao is coming :frowning_face: dfkjhskdj BUT THANKS, AND YES HE IS AAAA I’m hoping he comes late Feb so I have more time to save but also I can’t wait to get him so… yeah, tough choice.

I’m glad the bad nickname coverup was entertaining, it’s my personal favorite too HAHAHAH and the love triangle is A and J!

@Checkmate thank you so much for the kind words! And no, I don’t think I’ve heard of this show before (but I’ll look it up). A show that inspired me was White Collar, but only briefly at the start, the rest of the plot is a mess of my own ideas and every possible media I’ve ever consumed in my life tbh :joy:

@MASSO you absolutely can romance J with a full criminal streak! It’ll be harder to gain their trust but not impossible at all, and it’ll make for different interactions too. And thank you so much for the kind words!

@Peli thank you so much!!! I’m so happy to hear that. And sure can, I’ll add it to the topic itself bc I… forgot to do it before I’m sorry lmao, but the love triangle will be between A and J.

@rkgk thank you so much! And you won’t be forced to remain a criminal as the story progresses, there will be plenty of opportunities for MC to clean up their act. AND I DO HAHAHAH I’m glad you found it entertaining!

HONESTLY Y’ALL THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE KIND WORDS :sob: :heart: I’m absolutely floored at the positive response and I’m already working on a hot fix to patch all the typos and errors you pointed out, and I hope you’ll continue to enjoy Ace of Spades because there’s a loooot to come!

29 Likes

This is fantastic. I have nothing constructive to say, just wanted to cheerlead a little bit. Choosing an RO is gonna be tough, but I have a soft spot for A atm.

5 Likes

This is so damn good. A plot that sucks you in, genuinely engaging characters and ROs, and a degree of MC personality that’s actually enjoyable. I can’t wait to see how this story progresses.

Some random assorted feedback

-Having a high number of ROs can be pretty difficult to commit to if you really want to write them well. It seems like you’re handing it well so far, but it can add up as the story progresses
-It would be nice to have some more information on the MC’s trial and what life in prison is really like- a “guilty” verdict hits just as hard as being cuffed in an alleyway
-I’m not the type to nitpick through grammar unless an author instructs me to, but I did notice that there were some sentences where the structure seems a little off
-I don’t usually like flashbacks, but I’m impressed as to how well you’ve pulled them off here
-I’m practically giddy with joy as to a story involving crime. I don’t know why, but it’s a favorite of mine
-In the future, be careful with setting up the decisions of whether to go full CI or to be a criminal- being a criminal sounds like a lot of fun
-All in all, though, I’ve played through this demo a few good times now, and I can easily see myself being obsessed with the full game

6 Likes

I’m enjoying the story of ace of spades if it’s only the prologue the fun fact is we don’t know where character’s background and why our character became a criminal there’s a lot of ways how people became criminals some by the system some by family or desperation or like a challenge everyone has their reasons even criminals

1 Like

This was so good! :eyes: The story, characters… I honestly love how much personality MC is showing and my personal favorite charming/sarcastic options are just chef’s kiss. Also, I already have absolutely no idea how I will ever choose an RO here… and I didn’t even meet all of them yet. :joy:

Sooo long story short… I love it & can’t wait to read more! :heart:

7 Likes

First of all, lemme just say how much I love this MC :rofl: They can be so chaotic, and an even more chaotic flirt ~

This part, among others had me cackling. Lol

Loved the demo! :heart: will definitely be looking forward to this ~

1 Like

wow, this was such a great and fun wip to play! i’m definitely torn between J and N––i’ll definitely be looking forward to more of this game! good luck :smiley:

2 Likes

I think most people have already mentioned a few typos but yeah what a great read so far! I mean J was just so fun for the MC to interact with. The dynamic kind of reminded me of Batman and Catwoman from the way I had MC interact with J. N being a potential ex was all too tempting to pass up. I will absolutely play through all the RO routes! Congrats!

3 Likes

ooh yay! that’s a good range. if it’s not too spoilery, how long has MC been in the white-collar-crime game? (from the day they started up to the day J offers the deal ).

I feel like that would help me get a better feel of our character immensely!

also…zamn. we love the angst :sob::cupid:

5 Likes

Hey, a crime WIP — always enjoy seeing more of those!

Does that mean we’ll be able to form friendships with the ROs, even if we don’t romance them?

• The use of metric heights makes the MC come across as having grown up outside the US., not sure if that’s your intent?

• The MC’s an art thief no matter what specialization they pick, right? I personally feel that fact would be good to emphasize a little more in game, especially in the ‘muscle’ specialization. Playing through that path in particular felt kind of discordant; the MC is perceived as a con artist and a white collar criminal (by themselves and the world around them), but the crimes they’ve been described as committing (beating people up to extort payment) aren’t really cons or white collar crimes. Mentioning some heist feats in passing would help, I think.

• In general, I find it a little hard to believe a MC primarily suspected of and convicted for violent offenses (assault) would be treated as a white collar criminal by the FBI. That’s not to say I don’t think it could happen, but a little more in-universe explanation/justification for this would be nice.

• I admit I’m a little confused by A. They’re our oldest acquaintance, a job-broker for cons, and a practicing criminal defense attorney? I think that last part could be explained a little more; right now the fact s/he’s a lawyer (our lawyer, none the less) only comes up in a single dialogue choice, and I guess I just find it weird it’s not mentioned otherwise.

Overall, nice first demo — looking forward to what comes next. (Especially curious how the title factors in; I love a good card motif. :eyes:)

7 Likes

Wow this is good stuff! I really like the charming, jokey personality. Gives me Dr. House vibes and I can’t help but read it in his voice. Smart and witty all the way!

1 Like

Wow this is really cool so awesome loved every minute of it can’t wait to read more

1 Like

This gave me real White Collar vibes and I loved every moment of it! Played through it several times and kept hoping to see ‘Next’ instead of ‘Play Again’ :smile:. I liked how distinct the characters and ROs are from each other and how varied our talents, personality, and lawfulness can be. I’m almost looking forward to the pain of the love triangle just to see how it’d affect the story and relationships (and because both of them caught my interest :face_with_hand_over_mouth:).

Only minor issue I found was with the flashbacks. The abrupt transitions and length of scenes between past and present sometimes broke immersion. I knew what was going on, but I often paused between flashbacks to adjust to the ‘current’ situation. Most notably, the one with N, P, and M came a bit out of nowhere for me while I was anticipating what J was going to say.

Other than that, I’m definitely excited to play an MC caught between two sides of the law, figure out who betrayed them, and uncover the conspiracies of the past :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I replayed the demo so many times omg. I love this! We need more games where the MC is a chaotic criminal. This is giving me White Collar/Leverage vibes and I am here for it. I’m playing my MC as a Neal Caffrey type of character and just charming/flirting my way through life, it’s amazing. I absolutely can’t wait for J’s route, they’re my fave at the moment. Enemies to Lovers is just +clenches heart+ so good :two_hearts: :100:

7 Likes

I haven’t seen a lot of romance-centered crime books so I’m super hyped for this! I’m in looove with Joshua but I’m kind of hoping there’s a way we can remain morally ambiguous while pursuing him, like the Catwoman to Batman. Anyhow, keep up the amazing work!

4 Likes

I am so, so intrigued by this.

1 Like

Very interesting plot and character! Love everyone, gotta play all their paths when it comes :slight_smile:

the flashbacks were a bit erupt- maybe make a smoother transition?

Gotta keep my eye on this game ^^

2 Likes

So…we essentially play Neal from white collar? Like that premise, can the mc be as super hot as Neal too?

5 Likes