3-day game jam in a shared 50s scifi world

Good work guys getting that in!
Sorry, ended up not been able to get anything much done. Am really quite busy at the moment. Hopefully can catch up on one another time maybe since I’m looking short on time for the time being and unlikely to get this done in the next few days even. I’ll post what I did write to show I tried :persevere: (Doesn’t really go anywhere, is only the intro and will contain multiple grammar issues I’m sure).

You stifle a yawn as you sit slumped in the captain’s chair, tapping away at computer pad in your hand. Everyone imagines a starship captains days to be full of heroics and fantastic adventures…however the truth is, there’s long periods of boredom filled with routine tasks that need to be completed to keep everything running smoothly.

Right now you’re logging tedious lists of everything you’ve brought on and off your craft over the last few months. The government has taken a special…well lets call it “interest”, in your activities since that unfortunate incident involving:

*choice
#A consignment of liquor.
Yes well, you’d taken on one or two crates of Molovian brandy…ok maybe it was a few more than that. But really it was for negotiation and medical purposes only. I mean sometimes you need a few gifts or nice beverages to smooth along negotiations.

The insinuation that you were trying to get around the strict liquor exporting laws to smuggle the valuable liquid off world for a profit was quite frankly insulting.

*choice
#You’d never sully your good name in that way.
*set idealism +5%
Quite. You’re a captain of your word. Someone plainly had it out for you.

Fortunately the investigation had cleared you of any criminal charges, however a distressing measure of doubt regarding your character must still remain, since they now seem to be pedantic about receiving and checking over your inventory records.

You sigh. Well if it will keep them happy, you’ll just have to buckle down and wade through the paperwork

*goto story1

#Even if accusations were maybe a little true. (Not that you’d ever admit it to the powers that be).
*set idealism -10%
Even starship captains get a bit strapped for cash sometimes. The way you saw it, you were doing a community service getting the booze out to those in need at a competitive cost.

It would never be appropriate to be seen…bending…the rules in this way though, those government types can be notoriously up tight about their rules, so you have your story and are sticking to it.

Fortunately your silver tongue managed to keep your record clean of any wrong doing. They bought the story you fed them…just enough to prevent any charges from being laid, however that doesn’t mean you’re off their radar. You get the impression, you’re now watched more closely than you’d like and have to fill in these endless inventory reports. Ugh

*goto story1

#Some goods of a deceptively flammable nature.
It was an honest mistake. Transporting some fauna from the Centuris system, you had no idea of their ability to spit a combination of chemicals that could spontaneously burst into flames.

Unknowingly you’d placed the troublesome creatures in the hold, next to some important artefacts from the planet Zebulon.

To your credit, you’d put out the fire before it could cause any significant damage to the ship…however not fast enough to prevent the wooden artefacts from becoming slightly…singed.

Needless to say, the Zebulons were not happy that their precious objects had been damaged and there was a minor diplomatic mishap over the incident.

Since then, the Earth authorities had been annoyingly strict with checking over your cargo arrangements. The amount of extra paperwork its caused you, has made you continue to regret the incident to this day.

*goto story1

*label story1
*page_break
The communications panel give a loud whistle indicating an incoming message. You welcome the distraction.

“Sam, if you please?” You turn to your science officer who glances up from her panel with a quickly suppressed look of annoyance. She’s well aware you could activate the view screen from your station.

Instead she merely nods with a fixed smile and flicks a few illuminated switches, bringing a large view screen at the front of the ship to life.

What you see, is not at all what you were expecting.

*page_break

A man of about your age stares back at you, a slight, twisted smile pulling at the edges of his lips. Pale skin, short, ebony hair and a fitted, midnight black outfit buttoned up to his neck completes the oddly monochrome appearance. Grey eyes bore into yours through the screen.

“Greetings Captain!” The clipped voice sounds clearly. “Listen closely, I am here to state my terms.”

The figure gives a melodramatic laugh as he swirls a glittering silver cloak around his shoulders.

*page_break

Terms? You look the figure over silently for a few seconds. Have you met him before?

Straightening in your chair, you address the screen. “Who are you, and what terms are you talking about?”

The mystery man’s eyebrows lift. “You really don’t remember me Captain [i]$!{name}? How soon you forget! I am none other than your arch enemy.”

*fake_choice
#“Hmm…yes well could you be a little more specific? I mean I’ve got so many “arch enemies” sometimes I find it hard to keep track.”
You address him jokingly, knowing it’ll only infuriate the self important man even further.

Since he believes himself to be your “arch enemy”, maybe provoking him a bad idea, but well…stuff it. You’re a star ship captain and shouldn’t have to take this kind of crap from random crazies.

His face purples with rage at your insolence. “I should not have to remind you Captain.” he hisses. “You ruined my life that day. Remember the nanobots? Ringing any bells yet? This time however, you’ll be playing by my rules.”

#“You look kind of familiar, but I’m still drawing a blank. Who are you again?”
There is something vaguely familiar about the man who seems intent on threatening you out of the blue. Try as you might, you can’t quite place him though.

He gives you a frown. “I’m disappointed you forget so quickly. I remember you.” He replies venomously.

“Does a certain incident involving nanobots ring any bells? You ruined my life that day. It’s only fair I return the favor.” He spits the words at you, calm composure broken.

Pausing, he takes a few breaths to restore his composure.

*page_break

Nanobots…what could he mean? Suddenly you have a sinking feeling in your chest.

Okay, I just chucked on jacic’s bit :slight_smile: Haven’t even read it due to kids being awake.

and I fixed the error in doctor’s bit.

The same link should work, ie: http://dashingdon.com/play/Felicity/latest-50s-scifi-spectacular/mygame/

Oh you don’t have to put my bit in there! Is very, very unfinished. Sorry just posted it to show I hadn’t deliberately slacked off :slight_smile:

found big bug if you choose male character you still got the female names.
the same for gender neutral.It still takes you to Barbara baker.
Max mann works well since Max is kinda gender neutral but Barbara doesnt.
Seems a bit nonsencial Game is good throught and i will get into testing it

also look at this

There seems to be a gigantic hole in the
visible side of the Fueltank, revealing a gigantic hole in the exterior
of the tank, revealing the vast emptiness of space.

ask Jim Bargle, the ship mechanic and engineer by trade,'s opinion
ask Samanta Foster, the science officer,'s opinion
ask model:Hint make:Lautus, the bio-electric pilot,'s opinion
ask Joe Josephson, the average crew member,'s opinion
ask your own opinion
done
Continue

you have double continue opinios and you have Bug wit Lautus

1 Like

Sorry if I embarrassed you Jacic - I’m just delighted that you produced SOMETHING and I wanted to include it in the draft file.

Gonna go actually read it now that the kids are asleep/fobbed off on my partner.

I wonder… is anyone else secretly harbouring a half-finished (or even finished) bit of writing? No-one has to share it if they don’t want to, of course - but we do have editors standing by to help where help is wanted.

1 Like

There’s actually a little bit more missing now from my part.

I see what it is, you have the whole fight stuck under the improve option, but it should have no indentation so both paths reach it. Remove one indent starting with ‘now we can turn to the beast’ and ending with the two Sam response (sameye1 and sameye2 )

Hi, not at all sure I got it right, but I tried. Here’s the text in the program (the link will show you the playable version):

Part II:

Chapter “x”: The Star Spawned Space-Bat of Siril One
*line_break
Part II

Last time: Captain $!{name} and the crew has discovered a giant space bat which ate it’s way in through the fuel tank, subjecting the interior of the ship to the effects of deep space in the process. Samantha Foster, the half-dressed beauty and science officer has found herself blind due to a photon blast bouncing off the bothemith’s hide.

Samantha lies at your feet, covering her eyes with the back of her left hand. The space bat begins to charge towards you.

“What now, Captain?” asks Joe Johnson, frantically.

“Well, Joe,” you start, calmly as ever, “We’ll run to shelter for the moment, one of our unused utility closets will due, at reconsider our next move.”

“But what about Samantha Foster, Captain?” asks Jim Bargle. “With her extra weight, we’ll never make it to the utility closet in time!”

“Just trust me, Jim, and move on my word.” You say.

You wait for a moment as the space bat draws nearer, then-!!

“Look, Jim!” exclaims Joe Johnson. “It’s Miss Foster! She’s- she’s floating!”

“It’s not just Samantha, Joe” you start. “It’s all of us!”

“That’s right!” says Jim, now understanding your plan. “The first symptom of exposure to deep space: weightlessness!”

“Right, Jim. Now we can just SWIM her to the utility closet!” You state, feeling good about your leadership skills.

The three of you grab Samantha Foster and swim towards the closet while Hint wstays grounded and walks, due to her extreme weight.

“How did you know we’d be faster than the bat in zero-gravity, Captain?” asks Jim Bargle.

“Well, Jim,” you say “have you ever seen a bat in water? They can’t swim at all!”

“Now, what are we going to do about Samantha Foster?” ask Joe.

“I have a plan.” You say.

*fake_choice
#talk to Samantha
“Samantha!” you say. “Can you here me?”

"Yes, Captain"

"Do you have any idea's on how to save your vision?"

"Yes! Have you ever heard of Laser Eye Surgery?"

"No? What is it?"

"It's basically fixing someone's eyesight with lasers"

"Okay, I've got it from there."

You take your Lazer Gun, and set it to 'laser', then fire into her left eye.

"It's working, Captain! I can see through my left eye!"

You fire into her right eye!

"I can see again!"

"It's good to have you back, Samantha."
	*set sameye "2"

#improvise
	You pour a glass of whiskey over her eyes. "This should sterilize them."

"EEEEEGGGH!" She shrieks. "No, stop! My eyesight will probably return in time."

*set sameye "1"

"Okay, now we can turn our attention to the space beast." You say, looking in the utility closet.

*choice
	#Grab a mop
		*set wep "mop"
		*goto fight
	#Grab a flame thrower
		*set wep "flame"
		*goto fight
	#Grab a half unconscious Samantha Foster
		*set wep "sam"

*label fight

*if wep = “mop”
You charge out of the Utility closet ignoring various hallucinations (the second symptom of deep space) and swing your mop at the bat.

The Bat eats you in one bite, despite your amazing weapon.
*ending

*if wep = “flame”
You charge out of the closet with your flame thrower, you always knew it was a good idea to keep it in there, and spray the great beast. It flees the way it entered leaving your crew forever. Maybe.
*if wep = “sam”
You throw her with all your force at the beast. Terrified by your confidence, the bat leaves the way it came, never to cross your path again. maybe. You hope Samantha didn’t hit her head too hard.

A few hours later, repairs have been made and you continue your course.

“What an amazing adventure!” exclaims Joe.

*if wep = “sam”
“I liked the plant one better,” she says rubbing her head.

"How're your eyes, Samantha?" You ask

*if sameye = “2”
“Much better, Captain.”
*if sameye = “1”
“Still hurt, Captain. But I’ll make do.”

"Well crew, at ease for the night." You say at return to your sleep quarter.

*if sameye = “2”
*if wep = “sam”
You sit on the end of your bed thinking about your last two missions, when your door creaks open. You look up and see Samantha standing in the doorway.

"Samantha?" You say.

"Just wanted to thank you for today. You may have saved my vision." She says.

"No problem, Miss Foster. Just doing my job" You say with a smirk.

*finish

@Felicity_Banks
You have to remove one more indentation from all you just did from what I gather. Sorry, it’s hard to figure code thus way.

@Doctor (and anyone else)

Would you mind using email? If you send me the original files I’ll be able to see where I went wrong.

Or I can send you what I’ve done, and you can see what I’ve done wrong. Either way.

My email address is fellissimo@hotmail.com

Thank you for those comments! I’ve fixed the ones in my section and saved the rest.

I can do that first thing tomorrow

Sent a bit later than I thought I would, but still sent

1 Like