Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven, Part 3 - releasing 3/3/2022

Will there be saves added to the demo bcz It’s a long game…If I turn off my phone for a bit the game goes back to the beginning and if my wifi gets turned off the game again goes back to the beginning…And it’s been 6 times that the game reverted to the beginning…

@JimD Some low level feedback along with one suggestion/high level feedback. The low level feedback is below in the screenshots. As for the high level feedback/suggestion, if encountering the River Dogs by meeting them in the forest over the body of a dead dear, I found it rather odd that despite choosing a “stealth” approach to follow them to their base, the woman named Emily simply spotted Jaime. Is that just unpreventable since Jaime has his own stealth stats and my own stealth stats don’t effect that? Or is it a false choice and no matter what approach we take with investigating the River Dogs they spot us?

Another quick suggestion/question: Will the ability to use thermal goggles ever be implemented? I saved up materials to craft them in Part 1 and Part 2 but I’ve never been prompted to use them or take them to go on missions, and I feel like now that there are missions in the 3rd part of ZE:Safe Haven to explore the dark/infected research center, it would be really cool if we got to use our crafted thermal toggles to gain an advantage in the dark. It would also be cool if night-vision goggles could be crafted since we can crafted thermal goggles.

Screenshots of low-level feedback:

1. The sentence describing their reactions cuts off abruptly.

2. The sentence “Same with us, we were told we had to join what they would consider as enemies” doesn’t make any sense. It probably meant, “Same with us, we were told we had to join or that they would consider us as enemies”.

Random question:
Will the death of two members of your survival group while staying at the Junkyard be scripted? For me, Church and Driver died due to Eli (the dude who owns the junkyard) opening the main gate to let zombies in. I didn’t talk to Eli about his misunderstandings of the undead, could that have prevented it?

Honestly I think the thermal vision goggles should give a massive defensive boost

Can’t answer your other questions, but yes, Church, Driver (and Eli) are sadly all scripted deaths. There’s nothing you can do to save them, and I do not believe that JimD has any plans to change that.

5 Likes

Update: I will be closing this thread soon, because the game is going to be released on March 3! Shortly after the release, I will post the beta thread for Part 4. I will already have around 40,000 words to show everyone.

Thank you for everyone who helped test! Much of the feedback I received in this very thread went into edits for this version you will see on 3/3. I’m really excited for the release!

Also, I took down the public beta link.

One major change though. If you follow me on social media, you may have seen that I coded a change so age was no longer a factor when choosing an RO. After making this statement, I received concerns about the age differences in characters. The MC could, in theory, be someone in their 50s or older trying to have an intimate relationship with a teenager. Or the teenager could try to have a relationship with Rachel, who is in her 30s. It’s not intended for me to normalize such relationships in this game, and so I rolled back that decision.

When I started Safe Haven, I never thought of the idea of having an age option for the main character. I am thinking I would like to add that to the game. In this way, teenage characters can enter into a relationship with a college-age character, but there would be a limit to older characters forming intimate relationships with teenagers. I also think it would be interesting to expand age as a customized option. Readers of this game enjoy the teenager background, because it matters when you talk to people. Characters in this game react to your age when you are a teenager. This should be the same for older characters ass well.

At least this is the change I am considering now. As always, I would be interested in hearing feedback.

71 Likes

I would wholeheartedly support such an addition! My one question is if it would allow the player to select a numerical age or just a general range. Basically would checks look like this:
*if age >= 40 and <= 60
or like this
*if age = “middle-aged”
?

Actually I thought of a second question, would you be imposing penalties for older characters, say 70 and up? Or would you have a rough maximum age limit?

5 Likes

I love the idea of adding age. I am curious how you would handle it with some of the different jobs though. For instance would surgeons or generals be forced to choose older ages or do you plan on allowing Doogie Howser’s to run around. And if so how much are you willing to add to address those types of situations? Like I said I love the idea, but not if we’re just using it to gatekeep certain romances.

7 Likes

2023 or 24? /s

Anyways, will be waiting.

1 Like

Yes! So excited to see your work again. I applaud you on your patience with this, especially given how many variables there are in this game.

I’d say life path systems like traveller solve this, but it would require what is basically a whole nother game. If I remember the Call Of Cthulhu rules correctly then the age gives a bonus to mental skills, but takes away physical skills. I think that would work out well.

Though I think would kinda take a little away from the teenager career there are still teenage jobs. If we exclude the obvious like fry cook/babysitter/lifegaurd/unemployed there are some other more interesting ones

-Zoo sweeper (loved that job, we could probably add Volunteer to that list for various people trying to become Zoo Keepers.)
-homeless teen (not exactly a job but it would be interesting. Though the nephew would probably have to be retuned for this, would be cool but would definitely take effort if he didn’t want to just say “nah that’s gonna fly.”)
-Intern
-theif
-fixer (knew some kids whose bank accounts were probably closer to the 3047 rather than the 347 withdrawlable at the ATM, but I digress.)
-Internet personality (not at the top of my list, but I could see why it be popular.)

And that’s not including the standard highschool achitypes like band kid, jock, etc.

I don’t think there’s a serious chance those’ll be included, though I do think they’d be cool even if their intros were just minor variations of the normal teen beginning.

3 Likes

Speaking of zoos, will we have to deal with more zombie animals in the future?

Or even mutants, if that is what the lab’s scavenging run is foreshadowing for?

1 Like

I think playing as a homeless teen/person sounds like a cool idea, but it would take a lot of rewriting for after the prologue where you return to your home

Even non-infected animals would be cool, kind of like in the Last of Us where you can watch giraffes freely roam the earth. Of course, a zombie giraffe shrieking and chasing you as fast as it can also has potential

9 Likes

Yep the dog was cool earlier in the story but can u add a few more z animals in the mix. This should also make the z cure more fun and interesting especially about how the animals are affected differently to humans

I’m surprised this hasn’t been thought about sooner. It’s good having a career route for mc but age should be a thing since it can affect some things. On that note will we celebrate character birthdays including the mc. (Apart from just the twins)

2 Likes

Like I said before

Though I suppose I underplayed the fact that being homeless would change where it starts, what with not being able to start at home.
Though a car, or foster home would make things make more sense, and with the Nephew just being a younger kid in a similar situation, probably related to his mother’s cancer.

Either way it’s fun to think about.

Well, zombie or non-zombie I for one would like to nominate the Chimpanzee.
Even if there weren’t any animal zombies, Chimps are similar enough for many of the same diseases to transfer. When I worked at the zoo I even learned to speak their language and had full-on conversations with them, the contents of which, along with their taste in Power metal, along with the time one of them possibly tried to flirt with me. Are a separate discussion. Though I’d say they’d probably be more useful than say a cat, and certainly more sentient. Certainly smarter than most of my co-workers.

So if there is ever an IRL zombie apocalypse I’m going to the Zoo to save the apes. Along with the proliferation of the food/medicine for animals, the food for humans, and some of the more edible animals as a means of agriculture, or even a short-term supply of food. Extra helpful is the fact it has electrical generators for safety/staff carts, structures capable of withstanding tornados, and weapons capable of taking down an elephant. Plus it’s right next to a lake with fish, with an undeveloped forest on one side, and some other scavable places on the other.

2 Likes

I’m getting an error when I try to click on the public beta of the data not being found.
I’ve played this multiple times so I don’t understand why I’m getting the error

1 Like

No longer available as the game Will be released on 3rd March.
So the public demo has been removed .

11 Likes

I feel like some professions should restrict age due to the nature of the schooling/training involved (ex. I’d be very surprised if a Doctor PC (since they aren’t a resident at the start of the game) can be in their early 20s, to the point of pulling me out of the game entirely). When I make my PCs, I usually just put them at the average age of the profession in question.

4 Likes