[WIP] The Shadowbane -- Chapter Two is Out

@Nexus_Knight It appears to be fixed in my end. I am not sure what happened, but I re-uploaded the scene.

@Empress_Nightmare Ah, so the current arrangement should work fine? With stat that charisma as checks and personality trait such as merciful as flavour text?

@E_RedMark Thank you! I’ll try to put up the rest of the common route as soon as possible.

5 Likes

Let me give a simple and basic example. I have stoic/emotional and stubborn/flexible and insanity/sanity split/50-50 personality stats and there is a fight scene and I used these personality stats as stat checks along with other stats like power, wisdom or mental, brawn or strength or combat, strategy or tactics, agility or speed and being stat check with high stubborn in a fight MC would fight longer and harder with even with less strength and looks like loosing and high insanity can make MC fight like a rabid and wild :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat: the IF I am working on has far too any stats to be safe :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp: and I use personality stat checks too in many situations.

So, yes personality stat checks in certain situations and scenes are actually very good and important and it’s my opinion.

1 Like

Love it :relaxed:

2 Likes

Great demo. Enjoyed the obvious DA:O influences. Usually, I can predict with certainty which NPCs/ROs will be my faves, but in this case, the majority of them sound really interesting. I’m already pumped to meet Princess Kaelyn and Seraphinus.

Do you want grammatical issues pointed out to you? I spotted a couple of things, so let me know if that would be helpful. However, I’d totally understand if you’d rather focus on getting more of your story out before the nitpicking starts.

2 Likes

Yeah… Being stubborn is a personality characteristic thing, you won’t just change some of your personality just like that on a whim. If you’re stubborn, then you’re stubborn and if you want to change then you’ll change slowly and gradually
:joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat: unless you edit and change the stats on the whim yourself. Those are just like any other strength, agility, endurance stats, if you have low at some point you’ll fail the check then you’ll only gradually increase it. No stat will magically change.

1 Like

Is Caitrin and Aramore the same RO, like male & female counterparts? If so how do I adjust it?
Idk how I got Caitrin in my story, but not complaining

Caitrin is female and not gender selectable.

2 Likes

@Empress_Nightmare Thanks for the detailed example! I see your point, and perhaps I can have a combination of it…?
@MyAccountWasLost Now I am thinking mainly use personality stat for flavour, but they might also provide some alternative solutions to ability checks, like some sort of reputation system. For example, if you wish to persuade someone, you can choose to use your standard ability stat (charisma), or a combination of high mercy + sincere stat as an alternative. I won’t gate characters with ruthless + deceptive stat behind the check, because they can still use their related ability stat in this case. And I will try balance out those alternative choices so not to favour certain characteristics. I do agree that personality checks should not be forcing you play a certain way. Do you think this is a reasonable mechanic?
@feurio Ah, that will be appreciated. English isn’t my first language so I might miss out things.
@Clary_Fray Yeah Caitrín is a female. I see why you are confused though, because I think I have a typo in the first post. Apologies!
(Hm but now I can’t edit the first post. Anyone know how?)

And do you guys think Caitrín should be gender flippable? That will make the RO’s gender to be a bit imbalanced (if the player picked male). However, if the majority feel this way, I’ll see how I can work it in my codes and story.

• Caitrín should be gender-selectable
  • Caitrín should stay female

0 voters

8 Likes

Will be bit unfair those attracted to men get an extra RO to choose, especially since it’s balanced right now with 3 males and 3 females, switching it now feels unnecessary, so she should stay female.

12 Likes

Hope you keep her female, its rare to see a game with a equal amount of male and female ROs and it’s a bit disheartening to see it might change because a couple of people complaining because the most interesting female RO, imo, isn’t a man.

10 Likes

yeah, I agree with @No_This_Is_Patrick , I just counted them (ew, numbers) and so far there are 3 females and 3 males. But there seem to be one more romance coming hidden? I suggest you make that one a gender selectable so the count is always balanced.

@Gower can you help the OP with their thread and them being able to Edit it? Thank you!

6 Likes

First post is now a wiki. All set!

6 Likes

Damn, you are fast! Thank you!

@kyle_fiction As Gower said, you can now edit your 1st original Post whenever you like! :+1:

1 Like

@MyAccountWasLost Ah thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll just continue to experiment with it for a while - and find one that works the best.

@E_RedMark @No_This_Is_Patrick @Artemis1 Thanks for the input from all of you! Ah, and about the hidden RO, they are in fact not really a human (or shapeshifter, or Lumians), but some other beings - so they don’t really have a gender. Yeah, so in total, RO’s gender is sort of balanced.

@Gower Aw thanks so much for the help :smiley:

7 Likes

Are we taking a bet? I say the last romance is an Asari! :sweat_smile:

Not the same universe huh lol Joking aside, I’ll say leave it as is. We don’t always get what we want. My personal preference is making everyone’s player sexual, but even then people will find a reason to complain.

As a lesbian, I know how it feels when you get friend zoned in a video game all day long :rofl:

But that aside, I must say the description you gave to Caitrin sound eerily familiar.

Meaning, if you ever played Planescape Torment, you know who I’m talking about.

3 Likes

I hope Caitrín remains female, it’s really rare to find a interesting female RO as it is, or just a character that is not overshadowed by all the male ROs.

9 Likes

If Caitrín strays female I hope you give the possibility to like really Friendzone her hard :thinking:

I am not against past relationships being very important but that could be kind of interesting :thinking:.

Also do you then intend on making the past relationship status important? Is a friend relationship different than a sizzling attraction :magnet: (romantic relationship did not happen from what I read)

1 Like

@E_RedMark Haha and her name’s Liara! And yeah I feel you, I’ve always ended up falling for the non-romanceable ROs in games.
And no, sadly I haven’t played Planescape Torment. I’m planning to though, perhaps then I can see the similarity!

@shawalk The poll seems to lean towards her remaining female, so most likely no worries. (And whew, no need to change the codes!)

@Isi_Talks Well, I plan to make it rather vague (up to the player). Most of the history is lost anyways, and you know poets like to be generous regarding the romantic elements with their artistic liberties.

There will be a memory sequence for you to decide if you two were very close friends, or she was in love with you (but you did not reciprocate), or you two were together once. Anyway, you would still have the choice to just say no if you choose the latter two cases.

10 Likes

Hmmm, I’ll give Caitrin if you make the last romance like the Justicar :smiling_face: what can I say? Old, wise, and full of sorrows.

I know…shiala, then Shaira…then Aria T’lock… :kissing_closed_eyes: Thanx the Maker for fanfic lol

Lips zipped then! Because if you do, you gonna love it. The game is old, but that story? it’s Haunting! So haunting.

I didn’t say there were similarities. The description give me those vibes, but I’ll only be able to tell when I meet Caitrin for real and see more of her dialogues and such.

we call that today slander!

Poets: Ahem And the Mc greatest feat was to jump from bedroll to bedroll, between killings shades, he will complain of seeking the aids of her lady companions! Unzip my trousers the Hero will yell! and a kiss will rain down on the poor unexpected companions! Some of them will fight back, others will melt in the embrace…until a shade will come dashing breaking their pace…ahem

Bard: Tis the story of the Shadowbane! Who had a little brain! He loved enduring pain in the name of his god! Who would just nod as the hero would travel the land, cleaning it from the darkness that swarmed it without mercy! From time to time, the God would guide the hero, and sometimes even punish him if he stray from his holy quest…and rumours have it: He would lie down with anyone and anything! But don’t take this bard word for it, after all a story is nothing but a hear say! :wink:

Me think now, I have to rename my Mc to Harlot :grin:

3 Likes

Now imagine MC and their 7 companions showing up… the bard must have a field day!
(And I must make a scene about a bard spreading all sorts of ridiculous rumours about our hero. That would be funny!)

9 Likes