[WIP] Gold Tinted Glasses (a superhero-mystery) [40k+ words]

Demo Link

In a world of superheroes and villains, you’re just working off a contract and trying to get paid. But when a simple in-and-out job ends in an explosion, you get dragged into a massive corporate conspiracy. To make matters worse: your heroic brother rediscovers your existence, a shady government organization is investigating you, and everything seems to lead back to your birth.

You’re a contractor — no cape, no cowl, no code name given to you by the public. Just someone with enhanced senses sharp enough to make you dangerous, and a very particular set of skills you’ve built into one of three specialties. Glorywell doesn’t care who you are, as long as the job gets done. And now the job has encroached upon your life.

Current status: Chapter 1 (the heist, and everything it kicks off) is complete at roughly 40.5k words, along with one optional side story. Chapter 2 is in the works but don’t expect it for like, months. It’ll be built as three sub-chapters, and I’ll post updates as each one is finished.

What you can do:
• Play as male, female, trans and/or non-binary; gay, straight, or bi (and eventually poly).
• Define the person behind the mask: patient or bold, true to yourself or built to blend in, generous or always keeping score, confident and seeking glory or apologetic about your existence.
• Grapple with the stress of having super senses, which you’ve honed to be the best Combatant, Tactician, or Stalker.
• Romance your telepathic childhood friend, a government agent barely able to take care of their niece, a fellow contractor who’s a devious flirt and out of their depth, a prickly scientist with too many secrets, or your mentor’s friend who’s a wannabe cowboy.
• Reunite with your brother and mother, or scorn them for the pain you still feel.
• Uncover the secrets of your birth, and just how connected to everything you truly are.

Romance options:
• Robin “Byrdie” Byrdie — your childhood friend, a telepath who’s spent years learning to tune out everyone else’s thoughts except yours.
• Jesse Eckart — a BICS field agent with a multi-mode vision power and a niece they’re perpetually one bad shift away from being late to pick up.
• Lloyd “Double L” Lloraze — a fellow contractor who can split into two independently-operating copies of themself, and flirts like it’s a competitive sport.
• Dr. Harley Kennedy — an Anderdansk researcher that hides their secrets with intense aggression.
• Nicky “Firebrand” Gardner — a pyrokinetic contractor and your mentor’s oldest friend, equal parts cowboy larp and unregistered fire hazard.

Trigger warnings:
• Neglectful parents
• Run-away child
• Unintentional deadnaming & misgendering (choice dependent)
• Graphic violence and gun violence
• Panic attacks & dissociative episodes
• Grief of a parental figure
• More to be added later

This is my first ChoiceScript project, so I’d love feedback of any kind. Thanks for reading!

Demo Link Again: CoGDemos

Tumblr (where I’ll be more active): https://www.tumblr.com/blog/icychoiceclaw

AI Disclosure:

No — This project does not contain the output of Generative AI
Yes — This project contains the output of Generative AI

I used Claude through access I get via college. Its main jobs have been editorial: checking grammar and typos, bug fixing, and giving craft feedback on pacing, continuity, and characterization. A few passages — including at least one flashback scene — started as a Claude-generated draft that I then rewrote and revised across multiple passes; some smaller lines went through a lighter version of that same process. No AI-generated art was used.

45 Likes

Hmm, I’m not sure about COG’s rules about this in games.

Thank you for being forthcoming about your AI usage. I know the backlash can be intense. :slight_smile:

You know, in the writers support thread, I listed a series of craft resources than can help you without the use for AI. Let me find it…

10 Likes

Really really good so far! A few spelling errors but I quite enjoyed it.

1 Like

Hi, really love the premise and looking forward to seeing more. I am super intrigued by back story and love me some good ole parental angst. I have a few questions if you dont mind unless they are a bit spoilery.

  1. How powerful can the MC get ? I know there powers arent that impressive but with the right stats and planning could we beat up our lil bro ? or any other cape ? Batman style.

  2. So the parents were neglectful but they werent abusive or anything right ? The flashback makes me question what was the catalyst for running away? Also it seems like from the the forum description and what our brother said that our mom wants to reunite with us, so she knows she was a bad parent to us and at what point in the story do we get more of her?

1 Like

An Asian man — Korean, you think — lounges in an armchair.

I grimace every time I see something like this

He’s mid, or maybe even late 50s, with long graying-black hair tied into a half-ponytail.

Especially with this type of non standard Korean look you Cannot Tell between East and even some South East Asians. Not even Koreans. It’s unnatural and immersion breaking to try and slip the writer’s exposition in this way. It’s something I see often, especially with Korean and Japanese characters, which always leaves me feeling rather fetishised.

Even if there is a reason to mention the character’s heritage it can easily be implied just by the reader learning his name. And most times, there isn’t.

3 Likes

Really interesting premise! Blending a superhero setting with a detective mystery angle gives it a fun noir vibe, and 40k words is a solid chunk to get a good feel for the writing style and branching choices. Looking forward to seeing how the investigation mechanics and character dynamics develop as more chapters drop!

1 Like

Very intriguing so far. I can’t wait to see how this develops. I’m wondering if the MC can possibly gain powers later like in some other games I’ve read. Though why mention a random person’s race? When I was kid, I always got called Chinese (I am mixed Korean/Japanese heritage). They say we all look a like. So whenever someone guesses their Asian roots, it’s hits a bit.

the ai usage feels.a bit iffy but hey as long as the end product is human made all well and good. plus at least youre honest about it

1 Like