[WIP] Down and Out in Damnation (Chapter 2 up! 1/28/15)

Excuse my poor reading comprehension. I’m tired. Are you asking if there will be good and evil characters to romance or are you asking if you can push an evil romanceable character to be good?

@Dark_Stalker

Why don’t you answer both questions? :stuck_out_tongue:

I would like to see the answer to both as well.

Ok.

Will there be good and evil characters to romance?

Yes. There will be characters on both ends of the morality scale, and some in the middle.

Will you be able to push an evil character to be good and vice versa?

No idea. I haven’t written that far yet, so I don’t want to say anything too concrete. It’d be a neat thing to be able to do, particularly for some of the characters who are morally gray

So we might be able to push them into a morality, there are romances on both sides and there are avenues to RULE HELL! Normally you’d be hearing an angel sound right now but since we are in hell…

About the romance, would it be possible to have asexual relationships, or aromantic ones? It’ll definitely add some work, but it would be nice to have the option!

@The_Rock_Whisperer

I’ll think about it certainly. The romance aspect isn’t the focus of the game so it depends on how much time I decide to put into it. There will be different kinds of relationships (platonic and otherwise). Although the relationships will be important, this isn’t necessarily a dating sim. And obviously the nature of the relationship depends on the character in the relationship. I doubt I’ll specifically mention any kind of sexuality by name or label (I prefer to let things just organically be rather than forcing them into any sort of box. Labeling things too specifically tends to be limiting in and of itself IMO), but I can see some of the romances being a bit unorthodox. Friendships and enmity will be possible.

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly would an aromantic romance be like? Would it just be a sexual or a close friendship? And asexual would be a romantic relationship without sex or a low sex focus, right? I’ve seen these things on tumblr but honestly a lot of the explanations I’ve seen have been a bit garbled. I’d really like to know how these things function so I know how to implement it if I decide to do so.

Well, both of these fall on spectrums, so it might be a bit difficult to explain- but, basically, aromantic people don’t experience any/much romantic love, but still have deep relationships, that can or cannot be sexual.
Asexual peeps don’t experience any/much sexual attraction, some are repulsed by it, some are ok with it, it really varies according to the person.
And that’s very vague, sorry! But you could have a discussion between the MC and their interest if they’ve gone down the relationship road wherein they determine if sex/romance is gonna be a part of their future, and have one or two subsequent scenes that fit into the result of that convo.
(sorry if i didn’t do justice to these, but english is my second language and they are complicated concepts)

1 Like

Can’t wait for more of this game. You could make it like a little christmas gift to us

So I tried to play myself to an extent. And ended up picking Reserved and Distrusting. So I am told to have unsafe sex and do drugs. Hmmm, this may be the worst advice in history xD So far I’m enjoying the game. Nice concept but I think it would be nice to have a last name just because some people enjoy fleshing out their characters a little more. You actually wouldn’t have to even use it in game besides maybe one time.

@The_Rock_Whisperer

That sounds really easy to implement. All I’d have to do is keep track of maybe two variables that are set based on how the MC responds to a particular conversation. I like your suggestion. Thank you!

@Boman19

I might have something available on Christmas. Depends on how busy I get with all the festivities. Either way I’ve gotten a lot of planning and writing out of the way.

@Razgriz

I’ll implement the last name idea. It’d be a small, easy thing to do that would go a long way toward fleshing the MC out.

And, yes, the test is a huge joke, and Justinia was being facetious when she wrote it. My sense of humor’s kinda twisted haha.

@LacetheDisgrace I think this is going to be one really fun game. Will there be anyway to destroy demons/enemies of the MC ?

Also I’m not sure if this sounds like too much work or not but will you be adding someone from our MCs past into the game, maybe one from each background?

@Razgriz
Thank you. I hope it’s fun!

Depends, but I’m sure the opportunity to undermine/destroy enemies will arise. Your MC will be able to raise a lot of havoc on Earth if they want.

And adding someone from the MCs past sounds wonderful.

I’ve also been toying with the idea of adding a “career system.” It will be a system that works alongside the MC’s actual goals on Earth (damning people). I’ve got a rough plan for it. It will involve your MC being able to get a job, and through the money from the job be able to buy different homes on Earth. It’d also open up different connections on Earth. The job you get is dependent on your background. For instance, if your background involves prison then you can’t get certain jobs that do background checks. If your background involves being a teacher, then you have a degree and are able to get certain careers. The MC will be able to go to community college to get a degree if they meet the requirements. I’m thinking that maybe your MC can go back to the places they used to work and confront/encounter former acquaintances. If your “sickness” stat gets too high then your MC is seen as crazy or mentally impaired on Earth.

At first your MC is either going to have to live with Justinia or be homeless. You’ll have to work your way up otherwise. Now, this system won’t be as in-depth as the main part of the game, but it’s something interesting to add and will enable me to create more side missions for the player to explore.

So at the beginning our sickness stat would be super high since we are seen as the crazy homeless people…

Not quite. It starts out at zero. The sickness stat rises through your interactions with Hell. By that I mean if you fight your fate and what you’re supposed to be doing for Hell, your sickness will rise, and you’ll find Hell itself fighting back. You’ll start going crazy, and people on Earth will notice if the sickness is too high. Also, the general atmosphere and imagery of Hell itself becomes even harsher if you dare to defy Hell’s commands.

This being said, this doesn’t mean you can’t play a good character or escape Hell. You just have to play your cards right. The sickness stat is merely an obstacle and a high sickness does change your playthrough if you are a good character.

Hmm I guess I’m gonna have to change my playstyle. I usually play as the good guy but if I’m going to do that here I’m gonna have to stab any potential demon threats in the back as quick as I can.

If there is a way to kill my enemies I will definitely do that. If there is a way then things are not looking too good for Justinia. *Sharpens holy blade *

2 Likes

Well I’m in my element sickness won’t be a issue, hell meet your new ruler!

1 Like

You make me sad @Dark_Stalker. If our two games clash then obviously we will be the best of friends. * is totally not planning on betrayal* :innocent:

I wouldn’t let you get close enough to betray me anyway.

So when someone is at high sickness, hell fights you. Reminds me of DMC: DMC

1 Like