Hello! Recently, I’ve been working on my first game/book/choicescript coding experience and I’m having lots of fun with it, so I decided to share what I have so far.
Once upon a time, an adventurer wandered where he shouldn’t, and found a magical place, hidden from the whole world. He was welcomed, treated as their own, learned things no human could have ever imagined possible, and fell in love.
Then, your homeland was invaded, your people were dominated, and you and your mother were taken hostage, just to end up dispatched upon her death, punished by their ignorance.
Years later, you are back in the palace. Wearing the face of another, you must play the court game and gain the trust of one of the crown’s heirs to complete your fateful mission and correct your family’s mistake, setting your people free again.
- Customizable gender, appearance and sexuality. Although being a honeypot is part of the game, developing romance is entirely optional.
- Find romance or friendship with 5 ROs, including 2 women, 2 men, and 1 gender selectable. Will you fall for the target you were meant to only use for your own mission? Their twin sibling, against all reason? Maybe their younger sister, whose coming-of-age ball you’re attending? Or even the general’s son of all people, who seems to guard your target’s back like a hunting hound? Would you really exchange your childhood friend’s heart for any of them?
- Choose how you want to play the court game. Will you get people’s trust or hone your prying skills to find secrets and gain leverage over them? Play by the book and stay on people’s good side or shock the courtiers to make an impression?
- Will you stand loyal to your mage family, or will you find that your human side isn’t all bad?
- Remember: in a world of intrigue and politics, everybody is hiding something, and magic won’t save you forever. Your secret might not even be the most dangerous out there.
There are 3 categories of romanceable characters, and each category has a special game mechanic.
- Your Partner In Crime
- Nesteri - The Childhood Friend (M/F/NB)
Nesteri has been in your life since you were rescued by your guardians. Regardless of how you feel, they will always have a crush on you at the beginning of the game, but it is your choice whether you will allow their affections to develop further or not. Sometimes they might act too nosy or dumb to your taste, but they always mean well.
Special mechanic: Being the only mage RO, their role is to help you throughout your journey. Even if you fail at finding out any secrets on your own, Nesteri will be there to ensure you know at least the bare minimum to reach the end game. Just be careful not to neglect or betray them. They may not feel too inclined to tell you the latest gossip they’ve heard if you are hurting their feelings.
- Main ROs - The Crown Heirs
- Rosalia - The Ice Princess (F)
Princess Rosalia is a mystery in many ways. In general, she only speaks when directly addressed, and even then leaves most of her line of thought to the imagination. During the day, you might find her hiding in the most awkward places, with the most elusive explanations on the tip of her tongue. Is it possible to break her barriers and unlock her soft side, if she even has one?
- Jasper - The Prince Charming (M)
The younger twin by a few seconds, Prince Jasper manages to simultaneously be the perfect gentleman and an unforgiving airhead. Don’t take it too personally if he dismisses your advances (especially if you’re romancing him as a nobleman) or makes one or two slightly off comments. He’s just that oblivious. Since his youth, he’s been cultivating the image of the knight in shining armor, dreaming of living a romance with his one true love just like the heroes in the novels. Now, that’s quite a high standard to live up to, isn’t it?
Special mechanic: The kingdom’s succession hasn’t been decided. During your stay at the palace, you can influence the court’s opinion on who should be the next monarch. If suddenly the tables have turned in favor of the twin you are getting more familiar with… well, that’s just a happy coincidence, right?
- Secondary ROs - The Side Companions
- Johanne - The Carefree Spare (F)
Princess Johanne is the late king’s third child, which puts her just outside the succession debates. While the throne being inherited by a younger sibling is not unheard of, she has no interest in the position and doesn’t bother to hide it. Actually, she doesn’t seem to bother hiding anything, making her a possible easy source of secret information. However, Hanne doesn’t have the greatest of attention spans, always jumping from one passing passion to another, as often as she changes clothes. Once you catch her interest, will you be able to hold it? Even more, what if you start to like her eyes on you, for real?
- Bernart - The Guard Captain (M)
Captain Bernart (you have heard the royals calling him Bernie, but if his hard stare is anything to go by, you have the feeling you shouldn’t try your luck) is captain of the royal guard and the only son of Alganen’s main general. Aside from being expected to inherit his father’s position, his job seems to consist in watching the heirs’ backs like a hunting hound. Whether you call it nepotism, bodyguarding or babysitting, he’s very competent in what he does — so much he’s starting to become a surprise nuisance in your plans. Will you be able to get his blessing in your seducing scheme, or will you accidentally find yourself being seduced instead?
Special mechanic: Even if everything goes according to plan and you don’t develop any feelings for your target’s side companions, they can still find romance with someone else. That might not be your magic specialty, but Cupid’s arrow is at your disposal, and if you get the right couples together, you could gain some unexpected allies — or produce some nice blackmail material.
Period-typical homophobia and transphobia
Mentions of ableism, war, death, slavery and pregnancy.
Other things to take into consideration:
- English is not my first language and I’m very rusty right now, so any kind of feedback would be appreciated.
- As stated before, it’s also my first experience with coding, so any feedback about errors is very welcomed.
- If you think something could be taken off or added to the CWs, please, let me know. If I’ve treated any kind of sensitive content improperly, I would also like to know and fix it.
- I’m a uni student with 2 internships and a slow writer in general, so game updates should take a while but I’ll do my best to keep the blog updated.
As of 07/04/2023:
- Prologue + Chapter 1 (in development) - Total words count: 20,1 K
- Demo (Prologue + Chapter 1 Part 1) - Total words count: 18,9 K
- Average demo playthrough - 8,1 K words