What's In Stock? A stock car racing game

Thanks for the catch. I had a modifier as -% instead of the other way around.

Also, just a heads-up, if your control isn’t 14 or higher, doing that is a bad idea.

Love the game so far, but I had a question about what generation/era of Nascar it is based on or is it a mixture of eras?

1 Like

Glad to hear!

It is a mixture. To give a bit more detail, in this “timeline” races are televised, there is a minor series, but “Talladega” hasn’t been built yet. I wanted to set this pre-Talladega since I wanted to unveil that in game. I also wanted the player to see at least some of the change in culture, even if I didn’t start all the way back in booze-running.

I suppose I could put a brief and optional word about that at the beginning of the game.

1 Like

Talladega Speedway opened up in 1969 which sounds just about… 10-20 years after the first official race. Bootlegging racing wasn’t really an official thing until they dropped the bootlegging part and start racing on the Daytona Beach.

But this honestly sounds like a perfect time to be Earnhardt before he was a thing :joy:

seems like that issue has been fixed. Another problem is that my game freezes everytime after i am asked to select whether i want to race full time, leave or the other third one. Plus i would really appreciate a save system.

1 Like

Oh, that’s just all I have so far. 8k words goes by pretty quickly.

A save system isn’t a bad idea really. I’m not sure how to do it, but will look into it.

Really just a bump to keep this from locking…but no real progress of note. The next update will have to be a massive one, because I have to write enough random events to last multiple seasons.

Nasar Season is starting again, and it reminded of this game. Was wondering if the minor series is more like the Busch or truck series?

While not a direct clone, the minors series will be more like the Busch.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.

I, for one,

Cannot wait to turn left

1 Like

MASSIVE UPDATE!
(I actually updated it last night, but there were so many bugs and I fell asleep before getting them all)

It’s been a while, but I think it was worth the wait.

The word count went from 8,600+ to 22,000+! While that is already a significant jump, I also had to re-write quite a bit of behind the scenes code to clean things up.

You can now play beyond your rookie season. Basically, I’ve written one season of content, but only for the poor team path. You can play this season as many times as you desire, with your driver improving and getting older each year. Eventually, this will transition into the finished version of being able to play multiple seasons in the minors for potentially different types of teams before unlocking the right to race at the top level.

Two new events, rain incoming and start ‘n’ park, have been added! Eventually, more will be written, and two events will be randomly selected each year.

Events are now preceded by a quote from NASCAR members!

It’s possible (though really difficult) to get in your first wreck, injuring and potentially even killing your young driver!

Let me know what you think!

7 Likes

I “finished” a smaller update, but got stumped by a couple of bugs. My apologies if anyone encounters this during the “rain” scene. I am aware, and at a glance, I am using the same scoring format as on previous races, but ChoiceScript aint havin’ it.

However, I have written the end of season blurbs to provide feedback on your performance, not just on the track, but also perception from team owners. Both affect how likely you are to get a better ride or possibly end up fired, as it is possible to have your career end due to no one wishing to hire you.

2 Likes

Fixed!

Actually, if anyone is curious, here is the part that was causing the issue.

*set spoints + ((die_roll + strength) + (composure + reflexes) + (perrace + 45))

should have been

*set spoints + (((die_roll + strength) + (composure + reflexes)) + (perrace + 45))

Every race has a random die roll, and then adds in the attributes (which change per track). Perrace is a modifier that is affected by equipment quality (and sometimes knowledge tests from setup), and then a final modifier based on choices within the scene. Hopefully you appreciate the peak behind the curtain.

I still have some minor issues left, MAINLY in displaying results. Also, still some bugs that affect attributes if staying with the same poor team. I think I have some scoring to fix as well, but I just played through without a crash.

3 Likes

Hopefully last “update” before I properly go back to work, but all the bugs I was aware of have been fixed. The word count with the fixes, blurbs, and extra rain option now sits at 27k.

2 Likes

Me after making a risky and overly aggressive attempt to pass by force

2 Likes

That reminds me, now that I’ve done the code for wreck implications, maybe I should add that to that outcome.

Also, if you did that rookie season, I think this quote is applicable:

“Well rule #1 of stock car racing is learn how to wreck someone without wrecking yourself.”

-Landon Cassill

2 Likes

I very much enjoyed the new update to the game!

The main choices (e.g. pitstop during the rain) felt very consequential/pivotal, and I enjoyed exploring the different outcomes (which were surprising–in a good way! Reasonable/logical, but also not so straightforward, which added suspense and tension to the gameplay).

All in all, I think the game feels unique in how… “gamey” it feels (for lack of a better word haha). It plays like a traditional old-school sports game, and I’m looking forward to more content.

3 Likes

This idea triggers a lot of nostalgia for me since I grew up watching NASCAR at what was arguably its peak in the mid-late 90s and early 2000s and playing sports video games that actually put effort into career modes.

I’m not sure the demo is quite long enough for me to offer an extended review yet, but I do like what you’re going for with the basic concept of balancing both on-track and off-track skills and scenarios so far, and I think the dice roll mechanic does a pretty good job at capturing some of the unpredictable nature of racing by making it to where the same decisions don’t necessarily lead to the same outcome every time. I’ll make sure to check in on future updates.

3 Likes