What age would you allow kids to play video games?

I started when i was 3, i played who knows what, when i was around 4-5 i played games like mario-sonic-rollercoaster tycoon
When i was 6-7 i started playing Halo-need for speed-pokemon and Runescape (im combat level 134) when i was around 8-9 i started playing call of duty and star wars games and things like that
10-11 i loved Adventure quest worlds, i played it when it was just online for a week i also god a wii and my own xbox so more mario and halo and cod and things like that
12-now CoD battlefield mass effect WoT minecraft fallout just about everything and oh my! This life of a gamer has given me the ability to speak english like i am from england or the us myself!

@P0RT3R, your not American or English? You sure fooled me!

Ofcourse I am not! I am Batman!
nanananananananana

1 Like

Nanananana… Dutchman

1 Like

Duchs are so gifted with languages not like us silly Spanish people :(( but certainly literature and videogames have improved my English far beyond any class could do. And of course the forum :wink:

Really? Wow I thought you were from the U.S PORT3R lol I started playing video games back when I was maybe 6 or seven. My favorite games were Reign of Fire (you’re in a vehicle and you shoot dragons) and a game where you made green army men and sent them after tan army men. Both were for the PlayStation 2. The jump from that to 360 blew my mind. to this day have never played a Grand theft auto game. I’d let my kids play at maybe six or seven. If anything the games and books that I read/played only ramped up my imagination.

Oh i also once had a PSP with SOCOM 3 (amazing 3rd person shooter) and Patapon
Patapon is one of the most fun and original games i played it is fun for all ages! You control an army of, uuum, Patapons by playing on drums! Pon pon pata pon! Pata pata pata pon! God i still know the combinations to walk and attack

As soon as my grandkids were old enough to move the mouse around I turned them into gamers. We also read together and write game designs, so they have great imagination.

@Lordirish Your post is peculiar: did you do this with your child(ren) too or did you wait for the grandkids to share the love for video games?

Video games are just another form of storytelling, like reading and interactive fiction. I would be perfectly fine with my kids, if I had them, playing video games at an early age. I would limit them on what games they could play, though. Instead of telling them they can’t play games because they are not old enough, I would allow them to play games which I believe could have some educational properties. It does not have to be in itself and educational game but I would not let my kid play some Modern Warfare game until he is at least in his preteens or even his teens. I myself being an avid reader would of course support reading books over video games; but you can learn a great deal from them just like all forms of storytelling.

tl;dr
I wouldn’t let my kids play some FPS but RPGs are good.

1 Like

@VonRidel My first game ever was Monkey island and my first rpg was the first elder scrolls so i could tell you rpgs and graphical adventures are perfect for creativity and imagination same as read the hobbit of the five books i loved in my early childhood for me video games are another art even better than cinema.

With World of Warcraft I’d be more worried about it being highly addictive, and the other players than I would about the violence. The violence seems rather cartoony to me.

Marajade, I loved Monkey Island too and I agree with you.

2 kids i knew were looking an ipod from the morning they woke up… I think busy parents dont want to be bothered and wanted their kids to tame, so instead they were the one who give something to play to keep kids busy. the problem is if there are parties or lot of kids around, they either felt uncomfortable, irritated or wanted to be alone and play video games.

2 hour of playing should be implemented

Well, I’m not sure when I started playing. I know I got my first console (Playstation 2) when I was 4, so I guess I started playing when I was maybe 3. Really, I have no problem with kids playing violent games, as long as their parents explain to them that it is fictional like mine did. And, to this day I have not killed one hooker in real life… Well… :P. Anyway, there is so much violence in kids movies anyway, even the cartoons, but do they get blamed? No. Video games do.

They used to, before video games came out… Once virtual reality mind melding helmets come out, they’ll be blamed

I wouldn’t really put a limit on when children can play games. I’d let it be their choice.
I remember seing the alien movies when i was five or six. And i was fine with that, probably because i saw them with the rest of my family, and i had been warned that it was a grown up movie.
Every child is different, but instead of putting up limits for children in general, i think it’s more important to let children figure out where their own limits are. So if they want to try playing a scary game, or a game with violence, i’d say let them play. But if it’s something they aren’t sure about, or if it’s their first time playing something like that, play it with them, and make sure they know what they’re about to play. If they don’t like it they’ll say so, and both child and adult will know that they’re not ready to play such games. And if they don’t say anything, then one can always ask them whether or not it’s too much for them, and make sure they know that they can always just turn it off if they don’t like it.

I think the important thing is to make a safe environment for children to discover games and movies and whatever, and mainly just let them try things for themselves, and let them figure out whether or not they are ready for stuff. And well, take it one game at a time.

Though once virtual reality stuff comes, i’d probably go a little slower with that.

1 Like

On topic, Penn and Teller’s Bullshit, on videogames and gun violence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SgM_acEsqw

1 Like

I would play video games with my sister when I was as young as 5. It’s something we always did together but our parents put a limit on how long we could play. So we still played outside and with toys a lot! Also, we didn’t have TV so there wasn’t much media in our lives. What I see today, because of smart phones, is that kids are playing video games like ALL THE TIME! or at least with some kind of media, because they can… I don’t think it’s good! and a lot of TV too… Kids attention spans are sooo short! I remember as a kid being able to keep playing a tough video game till it was beat…now they are like “aaah it’s too hard!” and quite :stuck_out_tongue: or watch a movie for like 5 mins and want to change it…it’s just crazy.

1 Like

Yeah or you watch a movie with someone and they go on their phone…