What a Brilliant Existence! (NOW ON TALES!)

sets sword down
As you wish, Your Eminence.

5 Likes

To be fair Sydney would probably the one we end up with if we didnā€™t have a choice, considering that people that go through trauma like the mc would ā€œfallā€ for someone like them even when itā€™s a superficial ā€œthey are nice to me therefore I like themā€.

holds up sword
I will fight with you my animalish frie-

okay :frowning:

2 Likes

Freudian psychology might say that MC would fall for someone just like their mother! But this is definitely not scientific and honestly feelings are so complicated.

1 Like

If youā€™re talking about the Oedipus complex I donā€™t think there are many if any cases that involve the mother being abusive maybe controlling but most tend to be caring and loving.
But like you said feelings are complicated.

1 Like

I think they meant that typically someone abused by a parent will seek a partner who is also abusive.

Freudian psychology just states that people seek out partners that have similar traits to their parents. So yes, though it isnā€™t a widely accepted theory, it means that MC would be attracted to a more controlling partner :thinking:

But Freudian psychology is all BS, so I agree that if this were a book or something Sydney would likely be the love interest. The whole ā€œfalling for the ā€˜therapistā€™ā€ thing would fit well with the story :man_shrugging:

1 Like

If we are comparing to the real word, a lot of people with this kind of history tend to either keep looking for a rescuer ( like Syd) or will keep finding themselves is similar situations (people like their abusers)

2 Likes

The extent to which Iā€™m able to relate to my MC is pretty troubling and also interesting. I like that I can be a sarcastic, reclusive nail-biter, and surprisingly you managed to nail down exactly how nail biters behave, so excellent work. This is a really fun WIP, and the characters are super interesting. Iā€™m really liking Dani a lot!

The one thing that kiiiiiiinda gets me is that the game kind of treats same-sex affection (Dani kissing MC on the cheek) as a bit traumatizing for the MC, which I understand is part of the backstory but also gives off a subtle implication of the MC being straight/possibly homophobic. If I was to make a suggestion in that regard, maybe give the player the choice as to whether theyā€™re comfortable with same-sex affection despite the abuse?

Overall, Iā€™m really looking forward to this game. Hope you find success and time to write, because I really wanna see where this is going!

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t have to do with them being the same gender because the line is the same with my male MC and female Dani.

Iā€™m aware, but what Iā€™m saying is that, regardless of the similarities across genders, it reads as possibly straight/homophobic. I donā€™t believe that was the authorā€™s intention, I am simply pointing out how it came across when I was reading.

1 Like

It probably has to do with the trauma from the MCs mom, probably her kissing them on the cheek. That could be made clearer probably.

5 Likes

Celeste herself was homophobic. That line is not supposed to be read as the MC being homophobic or identifying as straight. Rather, itā€™s supposed to read as them not knowing what to do with Daniā€™s open affection because theyā€™re not used to it (if youā€™re a different gender than Dani) and, also, they were raised to see same-sex relationships as a sin (if youā€™re the same gender as Dani).

As a lesbian myself, I believe itā€™s important for that distinction to be made. Iā€™ll definitely rewrite that part so it makes more sense.

Also, Dani kissing MC on the cheek is something that freaked the MC out because they dislike touching; same reason why they tensed when Alex attempted to hug them. This will continue showing up throughout the game.

And thatā€™s why you should never write and also proofread at 3 am! :slight_smile:

Anyway, thank you for the compliments, @trevers17! Nail biters unite!!

15 Likes

Iā€™m late to the update oh no oh no!

But the new characters are wonderful! Max seems like a really cool person to be friends with and Alex deserves all the best things! They both seem really nice and I would love to see more of them!

Also, I would die for Dani, thank you and good night.

2 Likes

This game doesnā€™t even have 100 posts yet and thereā€™s already shipping wars and discussions about Freudian psychology? Well color me interested in seeing what the fuss is about.

Playthough Summary
  • Interesting mood setting for the nightmare sequence at the start. I could almost feel our head getting melted offā€¦ shudder. Sounds about as horrifying as you portray it.
Apparently, being handcuffed against your will by your deranged mother was some people have called "traumatizing".
  • This sentence is worded awkwardly. What tense is it in?

• Iā€™m interested in knowing what this ā€œcorporationā€ that pops up a few times during the demo is, and what exactly theyā€™re doing to sponsor us. I donā€™t know much about abuse and custody cases and all that, so it comes across as weird for me to have attracted the attention of a company. :thinking:

• In general, Iā€™d also be more interested in learning more about the world around us in general, since you mention concepts that donā€™t quite make sense to me and I feel as if Iā€™m missing some context, like the Medallions and this Naomi person.

It was especially bad when you were nervous; you'd bite them so hard you'd actually hurt yourself, either from pulling a cuticle or from simply exterminating most of your fingernails. Celeste used to yell at you stop it, claiming that you weren't acting like a proper lady, and that you were ruining your nail polish (she eventually gave up on painting your nails), but it just made you even more anxious and prone to continue to do it.
  • Can confirm. Nailbiting is a bitch of a habit, and not just because it makes it hard to pick up coins off of the ground.
"Why not leave, then?" Although it's the first time Dani has mentioned her distaste for the bar, it's always been a bit implicit. You've never quite understood why she didn't just go work somewhere else; this clearly wasn't making her happy.
  • I feel like thereā€™s a ā€œnotā€ missing somewhere in here.
You hate this constant repetition of your name. As a matter of fact, you hate that Alex already knows your name, and where you live, and that you're with the corporation, and you don't know anything about her. It makes you feel open and vulnerable, but in a dirty way; like she's a stranger who knows every one of your secrets, and is just waiting for the right opportunity to humiliate you or berate you.
  • I found this paragraph a bit awkward considering that Iā€™m trying to angle towards a more social and optimistic character. I figured that they would view Alex more as a potential new friendly neighbor instead of a nuisance who has unlawful knowledge over my privacy. This goes for many of the scenes after this one too that involve Alex. It just seems like a sudden U-turn on how my character sees the world.
"I come home." You state matter-of-factly. "What else would I do? It's usually pretty late."
  • Most people would say ā€œI go home.ā€

Overall I do like the game so far, and Iā€™m interested in seeing where it and the elementals weā€™ve met so far goes from here. My only real complaints are the lack of background on the world weā€™re in. Iā€™m under the impression that weā€™re in some sort of Wizard of Oz-esque world, but I donā€™t really know for sure since there isnā€™t really much worldbuilding outside of what is in our immediate vicinity. I know that itā€™s not strictly necessary to iron out all the details of the setting right away, but stuff like the ā€œcorporationā€ mentioned a few times throughout the demo so far have me gnawing at my curiosity as to what they are or do, exactly, considering theyā€™re at least tangentially important to us.

Freudian psychology, while not considered scientific at all for the most part, does have merits to it that modern-day psychologists do accept, such as the idea of a subconscious. But yeah, even if the rest of that whole school doesnā€™t have much scientific merit in todayā€™s world, itā€™s still something to think about for this game and how even if you take away the source of someoneā€™s abuse and troubles, it will take even longer for the water caused by that source to ā€œdrain outā€, if you will. Still worth thinking about since the game does have a sort of psychological aspect to it, mostly regarding how Celeste is still getting into our head even when sheā€™s no longer physically present to harm us.

I personally interpreted that part the same way you did, but at the same time I could see where @trevers17 was coming from. The paragraph that talked about how we were raised to view same-sex relations as a sin comes before the part where we mention Dani kissed us on the cheek and how we ā€œdid not react well.ā€ Itā€™s these two pieces of information happening back-to-back that could lead to someone thinking that weā€™re homophobic as well instead of just simply not touchy-feely like Dani is, despite us going ā€œoh god pls no hugsā€ the sentence immediately before that.

Interesting thought though, and feel free to disregard if you feel that it doesnā€™t fit with what youā€™re going for: the game, while being a slice of life genre as a whole, focuses on our character readjusting to social life after untold years of abuse by our mother right? It might make for an interesting, if touchy, plot point if we were given a choice to explore our own confused and befuddled feelings over what our mother has indoctrinated us with our whole lives and what we actually believe deep down, including LGBT topics. It might make the game a bit more dark than you may be going for, but it could also be an interesting subject to explore since weā€™re coming to our own conclusions on how we feel instead of what our control freak mouthpiece told us we feel.

2 Likes

lol i know right

See, this is on purpose, and Iā€™ve always known itā€™s not for everyone. Youā€™re thrown into the world, and names and places are just supposed to be mentioned as the MC recalls them, and eventually be figured out by the player. Of course, this doesnā€™t mean I want things to be needlessly confusing, which is why Iā€™ll be taking your points into consideration.

Oh, this is absolutely going to be an important aspect of the MCā€™s development and evolution as the game passes by.

Thank you for the corrections (I tend to accidentally eat some words a lot, it seems), and for your feedback! It means a lot!

4 Likes

Oh sure, Iā€™m aware that some authors do like to respect their readersā€™ intelligence by giving them enough hints to figure stuff out on their own without explicitly telling them, and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that, itā€™s just that Iā€™m in the crowd where I tend to not like being kept in the dark about stuff as itā€™s quite the pet peeve of mine. However, itā€™s not enough to detract from the overall experience of recovering fluffiness and angst that I think youā€™ve balanced out very well so far, minus the weird shift in tone I mentioned in my playthrough summary. Just different strokes for different folks, is all.

Youā€™re welcome. I hope that my feedback makes your game a more wonderful experience for all. :grin:

1 Like

Oh, yeah, I forgot to reply to that, but Iā€™ll definitely re-read the scene and find a way to balance out the Optimistic!MCā€™s natural skepticism with their attempts to remain positive.

Yep, I suppose thatā€™s what it comes down to!

I love the plot and how MC see things. I canā€™t wait for the whole story.

1 Like

Thank you! :relaxed:

1 Like