Voice Acting in CoG

In my fantasy, I wish I could perform my CoG titles like a recorded book.

Imagine a CoG that would fully voice acted with a narrative voice and actors for each role, especially dialogue heavy games. There could be so much fun.

But even a single reader would be amazing.

man reading with my own very eyes is much faster than listening. cant see myself enjoying that

It would definitely be slower. But voice acting has its own charms, I think.

maybe certain phrases or sentences so you can still read but can hear how the characters sound.

Like…a voice-acted visual novel? Minus the graphics? With or without background music? Or an audio drama of sorts, but you’ll also get to read the script and make your own choices?

I guess it sounds appealing for others, but it’s not really my cup of tea. I’d rather get a voice-acted VN, because at least I’m also seeing what the characters look like while at the same time listening and reading along to what they say. Or listen to one of them audio dramas instead.

I was actually thinking about its value for visually-impaired people who like CoG. But yes, like an audio drama, rather than an acted VN.

I do love audio books/audio dramas, I feel it’s easier to get fully absorbed in the story when you’re listening (but maybe that’s just me). An audio CoG would be awesome but so much work.

I can’t even imagine how difficult it would be to create. But I think a well-produced one could have a lot of potential for CoG. There’s a good deal of market for well-done audio dramas, and an interactive one would be something quite special. (Indeed, I don’t even know if one exists. There must be, but not that I’ve ever heard of.)

I ve considered it before but decided against it. For the following reasons.

1. file size. If you take into account the number of lines and variations that’s a lot of additional data to download which increases app size.
  2. immersion you’d need to cast the characters perfectly as if a character sounds different to how the reader thinks they sound it can pull them out.
  3. the actual work load you’ve got multiple lines, different variations not to mention unless you have a set name or title it won’t work when the MCs name needs to be mentioned.

However I am considering an audio/visual codex for my website at some point. (like the original mass effect trilogy).

I’ve never liked audiobooks. I have ADHD so with someone talking, my brain makes it like a conversation and I end up zoning, forgetting where I zoned out, and having to deal with any kinda rewinds frustrates me (though I think this is more a YouTube problem). Plus with dyslexia I’d like to stretch my reading as much as possible.

And with audio books, I feel like everything is half assed.

Perhaps, instead of reading what is already written on the text, the voice actor is just simply spits out random gibberish blurbs.

But in this case, the blurb is not blahblablah robotic blurbs.
Uhh… how I put it?

Do you know Undertale? Hollow Knight? Or perhaps, Pluto Attack the Facebook game?
The characters from those games speak in random blurbs. But what makes these characters interesting is how they say the blurb. There’s certain emotion and intonation that can be delivered via those simple short gibberish blurbs.

Of course, it won’t be visually-impaired-user-friendly.

It is nice to see a thread about this topic.
I am actually doing a voice acting course. Granted that its main focus is dubbing, but sometimes we also train for activities such as locution oriented to radio and interpretation in general. I really hope I can be cast for something like this one day.

Believe me, voice acting is a very difficult skill to train that I feel doesn’t get enough recognition (again I’m mostly referring to dubbing which has some issues of its own), and I will always support it. However that doesn’t mean that voice acting hasn’t its own limitations, adding to what was said above by @Nocturnal_Stillness one of them is that an audio medium is completely different from a text based medium. For example, audio removes the ambiguity of text, different people can have different interpretations of the same sentences, but when you are adding acting you have to pick one.

I really like voice acting and, as I said, I will defend it but sometimes it’s better to use it only when you feel it can really add something to a particular work.

By the way, if someone happens to have a particular question about what we do in that voice acting course, I’ll always be willing to talk about this subject.

I think as a separate product, an audio-version of a CoG/HG game might be a feasible product. There are visually impaired audience members and situations where audiobook versions might be useful (traveling), however, because CoG/HG games are interactive and (as @MockTurtle points out) somewhat subjective where a traditional novel is neither, I’m not sure of the utility gained.

As a dlc option, it might be fun to have the “author’s version” (mimicking the director’s cut of a film) but you’ll run into all the various pit-falls and traps of dlc content. I’m not sure the volume sold would be greater then the headaches received.

I’ve done live readings at a con before, asking the audience to shout choices, and that was a blast.

I am certain I’ll never have time to sit down and record a full game, though.

There is a game called “Trial of the Clone.” Essentially it was a CoG read to you by Will Wheaton. Theoretically, I should have loved it but for some reason, I just couldn’t finish the thing. I blame the plot and game design.

This would be a great idea :smiley: . Yeah I’m visually impared, and I find the artificial voice ok for choice books like COGs, as I head canon like mad and imagine the character voices in my head, but for some reason(no idea why) I simply can’t read a book with an artificial voice. You could just have one or two character’s voice acted. My dream would be a horror COG, based on the creepy pasta Borrasca with the more villainous characters(or at least one) voiced by Barnabus Damos a creepy pasta reader. That’d be my suggestion, approach a lesser known but talented voice actor rather than try and learn…plus after listening to Barnabus Damos, he’s kinda become the bar I compare other voice actors too :stuck_out_tongue: . Or yeah, even just having the lore/background info voice acted would be nice.

Along the same lines, I think allowing background music in CoG would be amazing.

Imagine being in a magical forest with serene ambient music. Better yet, maybe being in a forest scene you can hear birds chirping. It would certainly be an interesting idea.

…Apparently there already is. I can’t remember the games that allow it, but I couldn’t get it to work :confused: . Don’t know if it was just in certain parts or you had to turn it on or something. This would also be good as it’d be cheaper to get the rights I assume? And require less training to implement, and you could even have the sound just for a few seconds when you click next or what not like in silent gear. I actually really liked the sound effects in silent gear, though the game was pretty short :frowning: .

Solutions to the concerns put forth by @Nocturnal_Stillness

1. Audio files can be downloaded from app because that way it wouldn’t be increasing app size.

2. Voice artists express the exact same emotions that the text was meant to do and their voices suits the characters perfectly which requires skilled artists ( which are costly )

3. You have to employ certain program ( some organisations use this but can’t remember their names ) that joins the letters for example of the name of MC is Sam then it joins voice sample of “s”“a”“m” to produce voice sample of Sam but it won’t be exactly similar to how we say Sam but would be close enough.

On a related note (Not certain if I shouldn’t post this in the fanworks thread though), what about making audioplays of a playthrough, how do authors think about that?