Vendetta: Rise of a Gangster - Resumed

Passer556 is right we could ask them to make a gang of our own with traits and cons of course!
The war veterans gang could be very good at fighting and the college guys gang could be very streetwise!

But of course that is all up to you!

@Vendetta In my opinion best indie game yet, possibly best on the site. I love the style and structure and the character sheet is by far the best on the site. I adore it, more please!

Hm, interesting scenarios to fill out the chapters eh? Well I don’t find it too much of a stretch to say that Dino probably didn’t like the protagonist’s power grab (if the player chooses to do so), so I think a neat scene would be Dino attempting a coup with a couple of other gullible mooks when your gang starts getting big, and the player choosing how to handle it. Plus it’d be a chance for the protagonist to act more suave, which is how I enjoy imagining my main protagonist.

How about in ch2 we eventually have to make our own gang and how successfully we are plays a big roll and is based on our relations with others our rep and how much cash we’ve got

I think that if you’re going to add an election (which 1. I think is a great idea 2. would allow for a really interesting take on the politicaian background), you make that a major part in one of the future chapters. An election could determine who rules the city, whether it’s a strict law enforcer or a mob-connected friend, you know what I mean? I think a prominent election could be very well-integrated into the game.

An election chapter would be lots of fun. I’m a political junkie anyway and even if the character doesn’t have a political future, it would be fun to use your influence on an election.

With my create a party idea I don’t mean have the player run it but more like they get someone else to be the public face while you manipulate them from the shadows

Thanks guys, some excellent suggestions there. It especially sounds like taking parting in the local elections would be a popular scenario–which would be good for historical reasons if no other, with rigged elections being very much a prominent feature of the prohibition era. It was always intended to be a minor part of the game (specifically for the Political Bagman to dabble in) but I’m now definitely convinced it should be bigger than that. Thanks. :slight_smile:

The other suggestions are likewise good ones, great for adding interesting variety–keep them coming! (Says he, frantically scribbling notes in case the forum should be hit by lightning, or whatever).

@OrpheusRKT I’m delighted that you think so, although I do believe it’s very much a matter of personal taste and won’t be everyone’s cup of tea . . . (or shot of alky, perhaps).

I also can’t take all the credit for the Modus Operandi page, as that stems entirely from ChoiceScript itself actually being flexible and detailed enough to allow more of “a game” behind “the story”. The stats page is the one place where this particular aspect of the underlying system can be allowed to shine through–granted, with a little extra thought and planning on the part of the designer, perhaps. That said, if Vendetta encourages even just one other person to think a little more about the game design behind their own story, and how that will be represented on their own stats page, then that can only be a good thing.

@Vendetta I really like the business system too, its cl just owning something, I can’t wait till we see some expansion on that! :slight_smile:

@OrpheusRKT Hehe. You won’t have to wait too long for that, at least–building up your businesses and/or rackets (and then protecting/keeping them) is intended to be a major feature throughout the game, beginning fairly early in Chapter Two.

If you choose to be a black hand member, perhaps you can meet someone you’ve basicly blackmailed to hell and back again, or completely ruined the life of?

Remember to keep track of the big picture, details are an important part of a game, but I’ve seen many a developer get so caught up with the details and fan requests/suggestions that a finished product never gets released.

@Bikkje Excellent suggestion, and very apt–especially as the Black Hand background has a fairly easy ride in the early stages (just by chance having the right mix of strong stats for many of the early choices) so something to cramp his style would help to balance things out a little. :wink:

@13ventrm A fair warning! I’m hoping to avoid that particular problem with a 3-stage plan overall. The first step is to to complete the full demo (Chapters One & Two) including all the scripting for the ongoing “Weekly” stuff so it’s easier to add more options to that in future as & when ideas occur. The second step will be to complete the main storylines all the way to the end, including being able to resolve the Gina Vendetta at different points along the way. The third & final step will be to flesh out Chapters 3-10 with all the extra ideas and sub plots, especially more background-related scenes and paying particular attention to the quieter weeks so that the regular week endings / income generation don’t often happen too close together.

This way hopefully the game will at least be “complete” (i.e. with a beginning, a middle and an end) before I run out of steam–even if it means the last few chapters aren’t as varied as the first few, due to loss of impetus (or whatever). I also feel that this way–completing the main storylines first–will put me in the right frame of mind to then complete the game properly, and fully, rather than always be looking down a looooong tunnel towards the end!

Well, the theory’s good, anyway. :smiley:

@Vendetta for the Black Hand man I was thinking maybe someone wanted to kill him/ make him miserable for what he has done to them. :slight_smile:

That does indeed sound like a good theory, as I’ve said I like it too much for it to remain unfinished.

Am I the only one who wants Mangano to be the gay option? :-?

Is there gay option?

@Rogar Vendetta said in one of the previous forum pages that there will be one. :slight_smile:

There already are a few minor gay options: in the massage parlor, and also (I believe only if you pick the male massage attendant), there can be some minor flirting with the tailor.

@Bikkje The first brush with other Black Hand in the area happens early in Chapter Two, but I do very much like the possibilities of the “annoyed victim” scenario so that will definitely make an appearance at some point–and not necessarily restricted to the Black Hand character alone. :wink:

@13ventrm When the full demo is done (with the completion of Chapter Two) I’ll officially submit it to CoG to see if they feel it’s both worth pursuing and something they would be happy to one day publish. That should be enough for them to make a fair assessment (as opposed to just submitting a vague idea for a game). Assuming no problems there, I honestly cannot foresee any other likely impediment–life for me is pretty settled, static and uneventful.

@Rogar The overall plan is to have different relationship possibilities occur several times over the first few chapters, so even if you ignore an early one (or simply miss it entirely, for whatever reason–e.g. as @tveldore mentions), the chances are that you will encounter another, and sooner rather than later. This applies to both straight and gay characters, with the only real difference being that the former will tend to be more glaringly obvious and easier to encounter, as gay men of these times (especially gangsters) tended towards being more circumspect.