Unnatural Selection (WIP - Even the Title)

As already stated “Choice of” is strictly for cogs games, not even hosted games, and also using “Unnatural” in the title might not be the best of choices, seeing as there is already a well known and well received hosted game called “Unnatural”, people might think the two are related.

So does it make a difference in the next chapters if you choose to make the collision head on or not, I know that it determines whether the moon is split in 4 or 2 but does that effect anything?

(also random brainstorm for names-
Lunar Chaos
Shattered Moon
Divine Perception
Deimos’ Impact

Ok that’s all I got for now, it might not fit well with the rest of the story, but well, its your choice right? plus you can decide on something else if none of these seem to fit quite right so theres that.)

1 Like

I’m guessing the moons will determine sea creatures, because our moon affects tidal waves… Doesn’t it?

1 Like

@Shoelip
Ultimately, I wanted to set the stage for the following chapters so did have to find a way to move forward with the changes to the moon and Earth.
I also did setup another stage with chapters to follow with the creation of life on Mars that I would eventually like to see the Deity and player make choices together that determine the evolution of a life on Mars without dying but my main focus is on Earth.
The choices I determined best to use were from three main general public opinions regarding religion. Those that trust in God and believe in predestination (make no choice, unless forced). Those that may or may not believe in God and believe in some control of their own life (destroy the asteroid). The middle choice of uncertainty (end up destroying self and Earth).
If sparks debate or self-reflection then that is great; however, was ultimately just to set the stage for chapters to follow.

If interested in another God type choice game, check out The Followers with @Maxmansung… That is fun to play in my opinion and may be of interest and enjoyment to you…

1 Like

@WiReDcHiMpAnZeE I will look to change and I got to say that @DragonWarrior has provided some great suggestions!!!

@DragonWarrior the moon split and distance from Earth will play a role in the environment and character strengths.

Moons affect tides, gravity, and rotation speed of Earth.

2 Moons, Further from Earth - lower tides, lower gravity, slower rotation of Earth. Aquaterans weaker since higher water not available, Angelicans stronger due to lower gravity and already have ability to fly, a day will last longer which could weaken the Atraugans ability to be out from their home habitat during the day for too long, lower gravity also result in less bone density for Anubians and Ademans; and with Anubians being evolved from werewolves, well not having a moon close could impact strength even further.

4 Moons, Closer to Earth - higher tides, more gravity, faster rotation of Earth. Pretty much reverse. Aquaterans stronger since water more available in areas. Angelicans endurance and strength reduced. A day will last shorter; and with more moons then the Anubians… well, think that gives the general idea for how affects species and base stats.

As for stats, I will probably use the acronym SHEILA to represent, Strength, Health, Endurance, Intelligence, Lead, Agility.

Thank you for asking and hopefully I did not give too much away lol…

1 Like

@SheaMcD exactly right!

Working on character sheets now which will take time for the various scenarios within two different type worlds.

Well, it’s a good example of God as the capricious omnicidal psychopath he’s portrayed as in the majority of the holy texts of modern Abrahamic religions, but gameplaywise, it feels like the entire premise of the game is built upon a deception… I’m honestly not really sure whether or not this is very cleverly tongue in cheek.

If you set the game up claiming that your choice will shape the future of humanity, and the way you make that true is by letting you choose two things that are an immediate game over and one that isn’t, it’ll feel like you lied.

@Shoelip
Well I had hoped to make for an interesting, thought-provoking read with twists to the decision made. Especially since the first choice in a choice game is to not make a choice, if wanted to play the evolution chapters on a changed Earth.

I’m not sure is deceptive since the text used before the primary three decisions were ‘Earth’ & ‘Solar System’, not ‘humanity’… which is true.

One choice creates life on Mars & furthers the story, to include changing perceptions of God to those on Earth; however these chapters are not even close to yet being developed. Another choice alters the moon for Earth and the future which are the chapters I’m working on now. Then a third is the only one that actually ends the game with Earth being destroyed and again, does change the solar system.

The idea of creating life in other places seems interesting, but I’m not sure about having endings that are failures.

At the beginning it’s not so bad but later on in the story it would be irritating and feel like a waste of time losing after a while. Try to avoid ambiguous right and wrong choices. I’d just play through to get the choices that won rather than the choices that I felt represented what I wanted.

If you have a choice you don’t want people to pick or that will lose the game it’s probably best not to include it most times.

@maxmansung
You raise a good point. Although you know within the first choice if the game will continue, perhaps I should rewrite so moving the asteroid strikes Earth’s moon and splits it in two and allowing Deimos to be destroyed causes Earth’s moon to be split in four.

I noticed your game follows your advice; and regardless if I change outcomes to first choices or not, I’m in agreement with you that dying later in game can be frustrating and result in picks to only progress game.

Is anyone else reading that would like to give opinion to keep Intro way is or change?

Well I like it because it actually makes you have to think about what you’re about to do before doing it, almost like there’s a risk to your choice. at most maybe warn the player somehow that this choice can make you lose, that way the player knows whats a big deal and what isn’t. (although really I don’t care too much either way, the story is the important part to me)

1 Like

Hey is there a demo because it sounds like there is

I’m so stupid. Sorry guys for the unintentional rudeness :disappointed:

No need to be rude Faerwynd

Cmon we gotta treat people with respect, he made a simple mistake of simply not seeing the link. As stated in the guidelines ( FAQ - Choice of Games Forum ) be civil here we are supposed to be a nice and friendly forum :slight_smile:

1 Like

So will this have a story? The concept seems pretty solid, but how are you going to do the plot?

Apologies: I didn’t mean it that way. Just had a busy day at school, and I apparently typed without thinking. Sorry, adamthecowdog.

1 Like

@Faerwynd takes courage to admit a fault and even greater courage to want to make amends. I initially thought you knew @adamthecowdog and appreciate you made an apology. Hopefully the two of you continue to follow the forum and I still appreciate feedback to the story game play.

@person59 glad to learn you are one that approves of the concept.
As for the story to follow, the Deity will bring you back to choose a species to live as on the New Earth (which I need to rename as well).

From that choice the chapter to follow will be the Rite of Passage and vary depending on the species chosen. I am open to any and all ideas for story but to give a glimpse of the ideas for the next chapter which assist in character development are:

Angelican - Although born with wings, you must still learn to fly. Some learn sooner than others and just so happens you have not developed as quickly as others. So, how will you handle be treated by your peers? How will you learn? Will you learn?

Anubian - Illegitimate offspring to the Alpha, you are ambitious to show that you can take his place. Your father; however, does not plan on relinquishing his position without a fight. But before you may even consider a challenge to your father, you must first learn to hunt on your own and receive your first kill. Will you be able to hunt successfully while your father knows your ambitions? Even if you do, could you challenge and take on your father?

Ademans - Your species is very proud and has a warrior mindset. Your father shamed your family name by hiding you away while your mother died to protect you from a beast attack on New Earth. Although you know you would not be alive if not for your parents actions, it is hard to forgive your father for not taking the place of your mother. How will you restore the family name? Could you ever forgive your father?

Aquaterans - Your father died in the line of duty before you were born. Your mother is now dying years later and the cure is on dry land; however, is considered to far for any to survive getting and returning since your species relies on water to survive. Part of your passage into adulthood requires you survive on land but the test is no where near the distance or length of time where the cure is to be found. Will you attempt to find the cure to save your mother or merely attempt to survive the test? What if there is no cure and the stories were false?

Atraugan - Your species is intelligent yet somewhat cruel. They help natural selection by placing all youth in groups of 5 through a series of life and death choices claiming that only the strongest minded could figure how to survive and therefore, continue to reproduce only the most intelligent. Your time has come and you are part of a group of 5. Will you survive to the end?

Well that is the general thought for how the stories I am writing will develop. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome, especially for future chapters.

Happy Halloween!!!

2 Likes

I feel like I’m asking too many questions, but I’m just too curious about this wip. When you said one one of the decisions will create life on mars, how complex will this life be?