Top Five Underrated Choice of Games — 2023

What three games by Choice of Games do you think deserve a round of recognition? What game are you loved is on this list…but shouldn’t be! Vote it up and let other people know what they should be playing!

You may choose THREE options.

• A Squire’s Tale
  • Asteroid Run: No Questions Asked
  • Broadway: 1849
  • Chronicon Apocalyptica
  • Cliffhanger: Challenger of Tomorrow
  • Death Collector
  • Demon Mark: A Russian Saga
  • Drag Star
  • Eerie Estate Agent
  • Faerie’s Bargain: The Price of Business
  • Fielder’s Choice
  • Gilded Rails
  • Grand Academy II: Attack of the Sequel
  • In the Service of Mrs. Claus
  • Light Years Apart
  • Nikola Tesla: War of the Currents
  • NOLA is Burning
  • Pon Para and the Unconquerable Scorpion
  • Pugmire: Treasure of the Sea Dogs
  • Ratings War
  • Sixth Grade Detective
  • Skystrike: Wings of Justice
  • T-Rex Time Machine
  • The Daring Mermaid Expedition
  • The Luminous Underground
  • The ORPHEUS Ruse
  • The Play’s the Thing
  • The Superlatives: Shattered World
  • To the City of the Clouds
  • Treasure Seekers of Lady Luck
  • Trials of the Thief-Taker
  • Undercover Agent
  • Witchcraft U
  • Wraiths of Sentinel
  • Yeti’s Parole Officer
0 voters
15 Likes

Not on the list, but Hollywood Visionary. The actual movie decisions and the results of them are fantastically handled. Unfortunately, there is a second aspect that I think gets in the way, but if half of a game is amazing, then it shouldn’t be forgotten.

19 Likes

Cliffhanger is one of my favorite games ever. The pulp setting is just so captivating and the author does an amazing job capturing the feel of the pulp action genre! I’m surprised to see Pon Para on the list for underrated. I assumed it was already popular.

11 Likes

Fielder’s Choice is a great sports sim!

The random aspects can be kind of frustrating and the romantic side is a little underbaked but it’s the only game I’ve played in the catalogue which actually feels like sports, and the choices it presents really do make you think hard about how you want to shape your career.

1 Like

I think the reason it’s not on the list is that it’s sold better than the games listed here.

I’m a little horrified to see The Play’s the Thing on here. It’s just such an all-around perfect game.

I’m also surprised about Pon Para. I remember how excited everyone seemed to be when it was released.

17 Likes

Eh, the romance is more than a little underbaked. Calling it a token inclusion might still be too generous. But I agree that is one of the better entries in an admittedly very thin genre.

3 Likes

Wait. Nikola Tesla made this list? I was hoping it sold better than that. Sure the subject is a bit niche but I’ve been in love with that game since the demo.

20 Likes

I didn’t want to launch into a full critique :sweat_smile:

It’s a shame because some of the supporting cast is super colourful and it would have been neat to have deeper interactions with them.

Just to add to my own post, I think that the randomness is a bit more acceptable in a sports sim - hits that like, sports manager sweet spot where at a certain point things are out of your hands. Just there’s a couple of places where it’s pretty rough that you only have one chance. Probably a game that would feel nice to be able to use checkpoints with.

2 Likes

Plenty of games here that I love! I always find it hard to vote because there are far more than three that I’ve really enjoyed. I hope them being posted will draw them some more attention, they absolutely deserve it :heart:

14 Likes

I know, right? I had such a hard time narrowing it down to just three. I would happily sing the praises of so many of these: For Rent: Haunted House (aka Eerie Estate Agent) and To the City of the Clouds deserve some love. I enjoyed beta testing Skystrike: Wings of Justice and I’m sad to see it on here. I’m glad that Asteroid Run is in the top five, at least. And then there’s Faerie’s Bargain, Pugmire, In the Service of Mrs. Claus

13 Likes

I voted for Claus, if that makes you feel better about not including it in your own votes.

6 Likes

Huh I thought Pon Para 2 did very well anyways the only other game here that I played was Nikola Tesla: War of the Currents which I greatly enjoyed especially the man himself

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not positive if I’ve seen anyone who didn’t like Tesla.

6 Likes

I’m surprised pon para is even on here. Shits great, especially just how many decisions actually cause differences.

Also asteroid my beloved, one of the better sci fi books in the entire catalogue of COG

13 Likes

Eerie estate Agent is hilarious :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s because I’m a big nerd for the Anglo-Saxons, but I really liked Chronicon Apocalyptica.

5 Likes

I likewise was having a REALLY hard time not voting for all of the fond friends among this really rich catalog. It was at least reassuring after voting to see many that I would have put on Top Favorites were also getting upvoted by other readers. But there were still a few that were amazing experiences in the bottom third of the latest poll results that deserve scores more fans vouching for them!

My (selfish) take away will be to do what is clearly the purpose of this list! Time to jump into these titles and start racing thru to enjoy the ones I missed! As my own style of selecting them has been not very ordered, that also means that many I missed I never really looked at. So, I’m pretty confident I’m going to get a lot out of the ones that are new to me!

2 Likes

I wished I had voted for that one — really enjoyed it!!

1 Like

You can change your votes.