The Wayhaven Chronicles General Discussion (SPOILER FREE FOR BOOK THREE!)

I mean, we’ve ALREADY encountered one of M’s past fuckbuddies…

Are you wishing outloud for that kind of Angst?

Aww, hell no! But Sera likes tormenting the MC with M’s behavior/words, and that seems the perfect way to do it.

Although…

If it were used as an impetus to make M catch a clue about their feelings, then I’d be down for it. As long as it’s not dragged out. For any other purpose? No thanks.

1 Like

Then stop giving her ideas :rofl:

1 Like

Honestly, If she’d take the idea to make M realize their feelings, then she can have it! I have a ton of other ideas that could do the same thing (MC sacrificing themselves for M at the end of the book and ending up being on the auction block, for example… not that it would make b3 M get it, but… oh well).

I just hate the needless angst that serves no purpose other than misery (like the bakery scene :tm: ). It did nothing to progress anything with M at all. Having M wonder why they even care that the MC is upset isn’t progress, especially when they would have cared if they had upset anyone else in UB that much and M’s loyalty is supposed to be transferring to a romanced MC, too (guess not, lol). And them offering an apology without bothering to ask why the MC was upset (especially for those that agreed to the no-strings fucking), or telling the MC, “well I meant it, but not the way it sounded” isn’t progress either. If that little scene had actually made things move a step forward for the two steps M took back, then fine, but it didn’t. It was just two steps back after one step forward, which is losing ground.

I guess that scene really irks me… far more than my M-mancer, who honestly expects that shit from him because she “knows” that’s how M really feels about her (even if the nastiness did make her realize she’s in love with him). But I also guess we should expect a lot more of them, too, given how long we’ve got until M actually wakes the fuck up and realizes they care about the MC.

I just wish the MC had a friend who could kick M in the crotch every time they do shit like that, even if they wouldn’t survive doing it more than once. :rofl:

Sera has said that the future books will get significantly darker and angsty in tone, so I’m guessing Unit Bravo breaks up, since it seems kinda obvious, bc otherwise it would be a missed opportunity for angst. Another darker prediction is that an unromanced UB member dies, though idk how that could work coding wise. Maybe at the very end of the final book. Also I’m pretty sure MC’s Mum will die as well at some point in the series.

Just throwing these predictions out there so I can say I called it in the future.

4 Likes

If I remember correctly (I’ll have to look it up), I think Sera said book 6 will be a bit lighter to make up for the misery in book 5. So there’s that.

I kinda halfway agree with you about guessing that UB breaks up, but I think it’s that MC is gonna be thrown off the team or voluntarily separated from them rather than the team splitting (one of those things where you can leave your RO to save them or they do it to you, if you don’t first). I don’t see UB breaking up, though. Something else may go on with them that causes the MC to be removed from them. Maybe by then, M will care and be miserable. XD

As for killing off a member of UB, I don’t see that happening. Same with Rebecca. Sera has said she doesn’t like “dark” so much (which is why the MC can’t really have PTSD over Murphy or stuff like that) just angsty. And her angst seems to be about torturing the MC with the RO (M) or visa versa (F and N’s fear of losing the MC), or both, where A is concerned.

And I think she loves Rebecca too much to let anything bad happen to her. Plus, Rebecca is almost Mary Sued to the point where she’s better than everyone at everything (case in point, she barely had mussed hair when fighting all the thralls in b1, where even UB was struggling due to DMB). If anything, I think we’ll see a scenario where Rebecca sweeps in and saves everyone to show how badass she is. Of course, I think a couple of my MCs would rather die…

But cool predictions!

2 Likes

I think that Rebecca will die at some point too.

I VAGUELY recall somebody saying they never got the Cara+A scene in B2 (to be fair, it’s rare as hell for me, too - I generally get N’s or F’s), so hey, here it is:

2 Likes

The child has already experienced one of the many depressing truths of adult life.

“Can I be physically fit?!”
“Yah, but ya gotta put in the work.”
“Oh… Oh nevermind then…”

5 Likes

I felt like I was the opposite. I kept getting only Cara+A, but the last three runs had been Cara+N, Cara+M, and Cara+F. Although, now I’ll probably get less of A. LMAO!

Either way, the scenes are just too cute!!! ;w;

2 Likes

A’s and M’s are my favourite Cara interactions:

A: “Yeah, it’s impressive, put a lot of effort into it.”
C: “Effort?! Fuuuuuck that!”

M: “The fuck you looking at?! I’m scary!”
C: “Lol. Wheeeeee!”

7 Likes

OMG YES!

They were just too hilariously wonderful. I think I spent a lot of time just cracking up whenever something ruffles either A or M. I will say the N and F are just adorably sweet. They’re all the best. I’ll probably go play another run of B1 and B2 tonight. LMAO!

1 Like

Cara has that “no fucks given” special type of energy unique to kids.

1 Like

Yup! And I love it! I hope we get some more scenes with Cara & Fam + Tina because I’m just loving the interactions. Although, if I remember correctly. There are some scenes planned or at least alluded to in B3 when you go through the Verda path. Maybe I’m wrong? I’ll hafta play the B3 demo again.

It’s been a hot minute since I went through these books. I’ll more than likely get re-obsessed with them. Well, hopefully, it won’t happen. I still got some writing to get done tonight. Maybe one run. Just - one. xD

1 Like

Those two are my favorite. Cara doesn’t find M scary, just grumpy looking. “You look mad.” M: “I am!” Cara: shrugs

The one with N is hilarious, too. “Pick me up!” Then, after seeing what it’s like to be tall, couldn’t give less of a shit.

I also forgot how much I love Falk. And how much my F-mancer doesn’t like him… and insults him constantly. “The leaky walls are a great feature…” Way to go, Jax…

3 Likes

Interesting fact, my first four playthroughs, in the Cara scene, I got the bravo corresponding to my RO for that playthrough, so I thought that was the deciding factor for who shows up in that scene, and was thoroughly confused for my next several playthroughs till I figured out it was random. M’s is my favorite though.

4 Likes

I thought this ask was especially cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:, so I thought I’d share it for those who don’t check the tumblr regularly

1 Like

I think F and A’s are my favorite (F with his paragraph and A with his smiling and tickling the MC’s back is just too sweet). N’s is sweet.

M’s is unsurprising, lol (doesn’t care or notice what you’re writing on him with your finger, only that you’re touching him). I think M might be aro, really, the more we learn about him. It certainly would make sense, and also explain why, even deep relationship, he’s just not about the ̶t̶y̶p̶i̶c̶a̶l̶ any “romantic” stuff.

Do they? I mean, M is beginning to fall in love with the MC, but I’m not so sure there’s anything romantic about their feelings. It’s a soulmate connection (otherwise M would’ve already moved on to the next person to bang), but from what I’ve read about aro, that kind of connection can still happen, they just don’t feel any particular need or desire to be all lovey dovey or “romantic” with anyone. Granted, I could easily be misinformed about that!

I mean, M isn’t the type to voice their feelings (ever), doesn’t do dates or any of the typical “couple” stuff… and, in general, just doesn’t seem interested in anything that would be considered couply things (other than banging, of course!). So I just wondered if maybe it’s because he’s not geared that way.

2 Likes

M’s definitely not aro. They DO experience romantic attraction. If M WERE aro, then, e.g, their senses wouldn’t instinctively focus on the Detective on the rooftop, and they’d have no problems when the Detective (possibly) turns them down for sex at the apartment door, because they’d just fuck someone else.

These two clauses are contradictory.

Ah, ok, I think the problem here is that you’re mixing the different usages of the term “romantic”. Romantic in “romantic attraction” doesn’t mean quite the same thing as romantic in “that’s a romantic gesture”. The first usage is a type of emotional bond. Aro folk don’t form that specific type of bond.

The second usage is related to what triggers a specific emotional response. That’s why some people think A’s route (or worse, the love triangle) is romantic, whereas I think it’s fucking infuriating. It’s no different than different people finding different things funny or interesting (e.g., if I ever express interest in watching men’s football, please shoot me with a silver bullet, because that’s clearly a doppelganger impersonating me).

(there’s a third usage of the word “romantic”, but we won’t get into that, because it has no bearing in this)

What can reasonably come off as confusing about M is that their love language is markedly different from the rest of the Bravos and from romantic depictions in fiction in general. What she has are eels, and eels don’t look like fish at all (I’m getting a lot of mileage out of this metaphor, I really love it). This might be related to why M themselves has yet to recognise that attraction; since it doesn’t conform to anything they’ve seen depicted as romantic (or, at least, remember seeing), their conscious brain doesn’t make that connection.

We hear similar things from a lot of non-normative folks the first time they see themselves represented in fiction. “Oh, all those other things never connected with me, but once I saw THAT the things I had been feeling all along made perfect sense.”

5 Likes