The Wayhaven Chronicles General Discussion (SPOILER FREE FOR BOOK THREE!)

Questions!

being nosy is good.

If your MC could relive any childhood memory what would it be?
Hmm… probably—

Oliver: “…what’s the point?”

Nvm then

If your MC could relive any memory but had to make sure the outcome was different what would it be?
I… shit. Honestly… He’d relive that time he almost drowned, but… there’d be no almost about it, if he had his way. : /

“…it’d have been better for everyone,” he says with a shrug.

What is their greatest physical weakness?
His eyesight, probably. Nearsighted like a mfer.

What’s the worst pain they’ve experienced?
Physical? Besides the forced transfusion? So far?

Hmmm… breaking his arm falling out of a tree he climbed to rescue a cat that had gotten stuck? The cat got down okay. Gravity and a few weak branches made sure that Oliver didn’t. It sucked, but he managed to laugh it off. Had to be forced to go to the hospital.

Emotional… Lemme get back to you on that.

Do they have any compulsions?
Does a deep, reflexive need to brush off/refute compliments count as a compulsion? Probably not. Um… legit. Don’t know what precisely would count as a compulsion for him.

Where would your MC put themselves on an alignment scale.
“…that’s that DnD thing, right?”

He wouldn’t know quite what to make of it, honestly. So he’d probably just shrug and not put himself anywhere. (I think he’d actually be neutral good but I’m also not quite sure. So.)

McDonald’s alignment? He’d make a new point on the chart: “But there’s a perfectly good Wendy’s right there.”

…are there any other notable alignment things?

What was the best/worst advice they were ever given?
Best: probably “you need to at least try something once before you dismiss it.” Became something of a (very loose) rule for him to live by. But. It’s very loose.

Worst: no hard answer, but… probably some standard “just be yourself” sort of thing. Like. “Have you met myself?”

or… hmm. Wait. Probably actually something about being/staying humble. Which… for him… would be taken to an incredibly uncomfortable extreme.

To those with multiple MCs, how would they react if they woke up on another MC’s canon route? (example being Blaire suddenly waking up in Sienna’s route)

To those with single MCs, how would they react waking up outside of their canon route? (for example, if your MC mainly romances A, how would they react waking up in an F route)

Regardless of who he was with in an alternate route, and of where he was in the relationship, he’d be immensely confused. Pre-relationship, he’d be misreading his own feels anyway – wouldn’t even be aware of/entertaining the possibility of a relationship – so it’d just be mild confusion when one of the others flirts with/expresses interest in him. If the relationship was well established? He’d be incredibly sad, I think, but… oddly, a little relieved? Or sort of weirdly vindicated? because “guess this is just the universe confirming that me n Adam don’t actually belong together. Which. Makes. Sense. since I don’t belong with anyone…and I knew the universe wouldn’t do him dirty like that.

But he’d explain the situation to everyone, be like “look, I’m not this timeline’s Oliver, let’s try to figure out what happened and see if we can get shit situated.” And he’d apologize to this timeline’s RO profusely for not being able to feel for them in that way. If feels were involved in this alternate timeline relationship yet. And, deep relationship, would do his best to avoid Adam, but not so obviously that it might be apparent that that’s really where his heart lies. But also to not make things awkward.

But honestly it’d all be extra weird to him 'cause he sees Felix, Nate, and even Mason as bros at most. F!UB would be like sisters but also “…I don’t like ladies like that? What?”

1 Like

SERA, LET WAYHAVEN (or the city) HAVE A PRIDE PARADE!!

5 Likes

F would go All Out with the rainbows and you know it

3 Likes

Apparently so would N and that is a beautiful mental imagine.

3 Likes

I don’t think Wayhaven would have a parade, but the big city is really close, so I’m sure they can have over there :smiley:

Also, this got me thinking, do you guys think pride parades even exist in this universe? The whole things with the pride came from the oppression homosexuals had to deal with, and Sera has say how in this world, people doesn’t discriminate anyone for their sexual preferences. So, without oppression, would pride parades ever have existed in the world of Wayhaven? :thinking:

6 Likes

Unless I’ve misremembered or misread something, Sera has said in Wayhaven there’s no discrimination, and that in the series there won’t be discrimination–that doesn’t necessarily mean the entire world is so open minded, or that it always has been. Things like pride month and pride parades might exist from a time period or from places other than Wayhaven where there’s more strife. And there not being active discrimination doesn’t mean the celebrations would just stop–now we can celebrate that the world really does have equal rights! Why not have a party about it! And why not have it when people usually have parties about these things!

7 Likes

It’s been something of a long week. I didn’t really want to post until we got the first bit of Book 2 posted, and I could do some proper commenting, but I wanted to do this.

Surprisingly, I need to develop my character a little more

Again, I haven’t thought this out too much, but I want to say a road trip with Rebecca. Nothing too fancy, but it took most of the weekend to complete. It was just the two of them and they could actually have a normal time with each other.
If your MC could relive any memory but had to make sure the outcome was different what would it be?
There were a few incidents where he could have known Bobby as more than an acquaintance back in high school. He would do so, if only to act more protective around those being treated negatively by her. Sort of a way to knock back her ego.
They’re not the most gifted when it comes to weightlifting; they’re not completely scrawny, but aren’t the strongest of people in Wayhaven. Their eyesight is slowly getting to the point where they’ll need reading glasses after a certain age, and their hearing has a tendency to cut in and out.
Aside from the transfusion? They were in a fight when they were younger (age 16). Some schoolyard bullies were picking on some freshmen (think somewhere around age 13 or 14). They got a bit too carried away with him, and he ended up with a few broken bones, cuts, and bruises all over his body. He managed to get back to school within a week, but it solidified his desire to pursue a degree in law enforcement.
He’s not too good with praise, preferring to downplay things, if only to keep from getting too much of an ego. He also has a habit of taking the same route to a location; it somehow feels wrong if he goes a different way.
Lawful Good, with a slight lean towards Neutral Good. (He’s also 75% “Food at home” and 25% “Black Coffee”, depending on who he’s around.)
Best: “Try to figure out what your goal in life is, figure out the best case scenario and worst case scenario of not accomplishing it, and be a good person to those around you along the way.”
Worst: “Just be yourself.”
To those with multiple MCs, how would they react if they woke up on another MC’s canon route? (example being Blaire suddenly waking up in Sienna’s route)
(I’ll do both, if only because this is technically the case, but only one is the most developed.) Lucas is actually pretty much the same character in his Nat run, except that he sees Ava as just a good friend. He appreciates her, but there was never that spark. He would feel that things were a little unusual, but just chalk it up to something like fate. That him and Ava weren’t meant to be together. Then again, if it had to be someone else, at least it was Nat.
For the Farah route (…I want to say his name is Evan?), things would get weird. While he doesn’t mind having Farah around, her introduction acted as something of a turn-off (a little too much too soon with a dash of cultural confusion). That he doesn’t quite look like him also complicates things.
For the Morgan run… Eh, no. He wouldn’t even know where to begin (he has exactly 3 friendship points with her and 0 flirt points).
To those with single MCs, how would they react waking up outside of their canon route? (for example, if your MC mainly romances A, how would they react waking up in an F route)
At best, he would adapt to this change (thankfully, it’s only Book 1 and not 5). At worst, he might end up hurting Farah accidentally.

I think the setting is meant to be more or less in Present-Day Earth, aside from the supernatural element. Wayhaven itself may have it’s reasons for being as open and accepting to people of such backgrounds compared to other small towns, but, for example, the United States may just be reaching majority acceptance of gay marriage. I feel as though there was something in Sera’s Tumblr about it, but it’s getting late for me as it is.

And my MC would be down for being in such a parade. Surely won’t be the weirdest thing he’s done, and it’s for a good cause.

2 Likes

look, igdaf about silly things like the logistics of a parade in a small town environment or whether or not discrimination exists outside of Wayhaven, I just want to have my detective bathe in rainbow glitter, and really, isn’t that what Pride is all about?

6 Likes

agreed! i kinda like just talking information for what it is sometimes and this is one of them.

2 Likes

The holiday her parents where brought her to Fiji, where the sand was white and the sea a beautiful shade of blue. It was one of those rare occasions where both her mom and dad were around. And that meant so much to her

The conversation she had with her high school bf before he left.

Ethan: I got into Columbia University. But that will mean I’ll have to move to New York. But I could stay here, with you, if you want.
Henriette: No, no. It’s fine. I don’t want to impose on you.
Ethan: Are you sure about this, Henriette? It will be a long-distance relationship and… those hardly ever work.
Henriette: We’ll make it work!

It didn’t work. They broke up.
She’ll definitely have asked him to stay had she known it would end up that way.

Strength. She’s not much of a fighter, and even when she tries to punch or kick, there isn’t much force in it.

Physical pain
Besides the blood transfusion, slamming against the glass doors of the police station. It was her first day at work. She was late and in a rush. So she ran, didn’t notice the doors and slammed right against it. Her nose bled for almost an hour.

Emotional pain:
Breaking up with her high school bf. She couldn’t bear too, but at the same time, he had left for college and she couldn’t handle the ldr. She struggled with herself for a long time on whether she should break up with him. When she finally decided to break up, she cried for months.

Shopping, but only when she’s bored or upset. Also, cake. She loves cake and has to have at least a slice every day.

Doesn’t play DnD, so she took this test and the result was Lawful Neutral:

Neither good nor evil, though you are a willing servant of the powers that be. You are not out to do evil or kill others, but you are a bit too trusting of your government sometimes. You might easily become a pawn of someone else due to your trust. If you are working for anyone, it is because they are the powers that be.

Best advice

• “You can never have too many clothes.”
  • “Stressed? Pop a Xanax and everything will be wonderful again.”

Worst advice:

• “Forget your ex. Fuck someone else.”

Yeah… and that’s how she wound up with Bobby.

• “If you like him, you can’t give up on him. You gotta be persistent. You gotta keep after him.”

No. That’s called stalking.

To those with single MCs, how would they react waking up outside of their canon route?

She’s in the Adam and Nate love triangle route, so she’ll definitely be confused if her RO turned out to be Mason or Felix.

Early in the relationship
She’ll probably not mind, considering that she hasn’t developed any feelings yet. With Mason, it’s just sex, which she can easily deal with. As for Felix, it’ll just be a lot of flirting, which she can also handle.

Late in the relationship
She’ll probably be upset. She has developed feelings for both Adam and Nate, and putting her with Mason or Felix will just be weird. Mason, she treats as just a friend (or more accurately, an ally); Felix has become her new bff. She certainly doesn’t want to date them.

1 Like

Considering how old they are, being able to express a sexuality other than straight is a long time coming. Good for N.

2 Likes

Okay, here we go:

Dezh's answers:

The first time she realized she was really good at Aikido, which was about a year after she started taking classes. She caught on quickly, but it was about a year into it before she acknowledged it to herself, in one specific class. It’s the first time she remembers ever feeling really proud of herself for something.

She doesn’t believe in such things, since you learn from everything you experience, no matter how horrible it is.

Her answer is that she’s short and, therefore, has a short reach. She makes up for it by moving in close to fight and ending fights as quickly as possible. That, of course, doesn’t help when she needs something from a high place, but that’s what crawling on furniture is for, right?

The real answer, that she would never admit because she thinks it makes her too weak, is that she suffers crippling tension headaches on rare occasions. She had the first one when she was in fourth grade, after a particularly stressful week and an inability to go to the dojo for her classes. Without that outlet (training), the tension got to be too much. When one of these comes on, it’s a migraine-level headache, where she can’t stand the slightest noise, has to sit in the dark because her vision is affected, and can get sick to her stomach. This is one reason she’s so obsessive about working out and training—she has to have outlets for her stress (triggered by those pesky emotions she avoids) or these hit and she can’t function until she comes out of it. It’s the one pain (other than emotional) that she can’t tolerate.

Dezh: Pfft. I can take pain. And I did not scream when Murphy injected me with that shit, no matter what anyone thinks.

Working out and sparring. She also compulsively uses physical pain to squash emotions.

Chaotic Good (she’d say chaotic neutral, but she’s wrong)

Dezh (worst): “You should go out with Bobby!” (Thanks, Tina!!)
Dezh (best): “You should take martial arts.” (from several people, but it was her nanny who enrolled her in the classes)

Dezh in Nyx’s route (A): Dezh gave herself a shake, then laughed in a very scary way. “Oh, this is gonna be fun…” Rubbing her hands together, she plotted how to get Adam in bed, since she never has to worry about him having any emotions for her.
Dezh in Wolfe’s route (N): Backing away slowly, Dezh grimaced. “Um, no.”
Dezh in Jax’s route (F): “Dude, he’s like a little brother to me. How the hell can I sleep with him? It’s like… incest or something!” She cleared her throat. “Hey, Felix, wanna go get drunk?” That should help.

Nyx's answers:

Oddly enough, she’d relive the first time she ever successfully took apart a computer and put it back together (she was about 12 at the time). And it worked when she got it back together.

Much like Dezh, she thinks you learn from everything you’ve done and bad experiences are essential to your growth as a person.

Allergy to bee stings. She loves the outdoors, but if she gets stung by a bee (or fire ants), she goes into anaphylaxis.

When Murphy injected her.

Nyx: No, being compulsive is a weakness.

Neutral Good

Nyx (worst): She doesn’t remember any really bad advice from anyone. Probably because, if she recognizes someone giving her bad advice, she immediately dismisses it.
Nyx (best): “You should just move back to Wayhaven after college.” (she wanted to stay in the big city to work, but if she had, she never would have met UB… and Adam)

Nyx in Dezh’s route (M): Nyx sighs loudly. “So, is Mason at least somewhat agreeable in bed? Or does he insult you there, too?”
Nyx in Wolfe’s route (N): “Hm. Nate is a nice guy. I can work with this.” She just hoped he wasn’t too boring.
Nyx in Jax’s route (F): “Felix is an overgrown child. Am I to babysit him? I fail to see how this can work.”

Wolfe's answers:

Any time she got to hang out with Nick (her bff), a boy that lived in her neighborhood. She started playing with him when she was little and stayed best friends with him until she went to college. He moved away from Wayhaven and was hurt she didn’t want to go with him.

She would go back and tell Nick that she didn’t want them to grow apart. She’d try to make him understand why she had to go away to college, to a different place than he wanted. She misses that friendship a great deal, because he was part of her family, as much as Rebecca is, like a younger brother she never had.

If you ask her, it’s her caloric needs. She has an abnormally fast metabolism (boo hoo, right??), and needs to eat quite a bit more than the average person just to survive. Since she works out quite a bit, that means she needs even more. If she fails to eat enough, she gets severely low blood sugar and can pass out.

When she realized she knowingly stayed in abusive relationship simply because she didn’t want to be alone.

Wolfe: Eating? Drinking? Working out? Nah, those aren’t compulsions. You need them to survive! (yes, even the booze!)

Chaotic Good

Wolfe: “No one ever offers me advice.” (truth: she never listens to it or hears it)

Wolfe in Dezh’s route (M): “Well, this should be interesting. At least the sex will be good.” Wolfe grimaced slightly. “Is he, um, verbally abusive in bed, too, or just out of bed?”
Wolfe in Nyx’s route (A): “Okay, so he’s emotionally repressed and sexually repressed? What, exactly can I do with him, then? Argue more?”
Wolfe in Jax’s route (F): “Well, he is fun.”

Jax's answers:

Rebecca had just returned from being away for a lengthy time and it was right before Jax’s 10th birthday. Her mom showed up with a small box and gave it to her. It was a gold unicorn on a chain (yes, she and Felix were made for each other). Rebecca put it on for her and then took her out to eat dinner at her favorite burger joint, to a movie, and then they went home and played games until Jax was passing out from exhaustion. It was the best day ever from when she was a kid.

When she was a bit older, and Rebecca had been away for a long time (and wasn’t there when Jax wanted to confide in her about a crush she had that went badly), once she returned, she yelled at Rebecca and told her she hated her. She still feels bad about it to this day.

She lacks good upper body strength. All of her strength is in her legs.

Yesterday, she ran head first into a sliding glass door. That kinda hurt! (she doesn’t hold onto things like that for long, so it’s whatever happened last!)

Nope, none of those! compulsively walks back upstairs for the fourth time since she walked out the door to make sure she locked the door behind her

Chaotic Neutral

Worst: “You should buy that dress! It really looks good on you!” Jax rolled her eyes and looked in the mirror, the day after she bought the thing. “I look like a pumpkin. Orange is not my color!”
Best: “You should let your hair grow out.” Yep!

Jax in Dezh’s route (M): “Oh. My. God. Mason? Really??” Jax took a couple of steps backwards, spun on her heels, and ran for dear life.
Jax in Nyx’s route (A): “Yeah, I don’t think so!”
Jax in Wolfe’s route (N): “Well, this… might work?”

1 Like

Ok, so

The flirting scene with the UA leader will only happen depending of who are we romancing. Am I the only one thinking of A? :joy:

7 Likes

Given what Sera’s said in the past about how she wouldn’t like to offer the option to flirt while already in a committed relationship (or at least a situation with mutually expressed interest), I assume it’s going to be for A and M (tho mostly A like you said cause rival leaders is bound to cause some tension she’d want to capitalise on). I’m curious to see how this is gonna play out

9 Likes

And maybe the no romance route :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

I wonder if the flirt options will be like the rest of UB where we can do bold or shy flirts with them or if there’s gonna just be one flirt option since it is a small, side thing.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m guessing A is the main one. I don’t see M caring yet if the MC flirts with anyone else or not (though I can see it being an option and maybe getting an eye roll from M for it). A might go apoplectic, though, which would be hilarious!

1 Like

So I have a question for people with multiple MCs. If you were to pair them with any other member of UB besides their “main RO” who would it be? Personally I’ve been kind of tempted to do Morgan’s route with Rin.

And for those with one MCs your favorite RO to pair them with?

7 Likes

I can’t seem to picture all of my MCs with another RO. :rofl:

3 Likes

Blaire would be with Nate! He was actually Blaire’s original RO until I got around to playing Mason’s route then that went completely out the window, surprisingly. He would probably still comment on it early in his romance when Suavewell strikes, “I should’ve fallen for this one.”

As for Sienna… I would pair her with Felix probably. As much as Adam probably would’ve been a good pair for her-she would’ve balanced him out in getting him to open up more, and called him out on his workaholic tendencies and encouraged him to relax- she needs someone who will give back as much as she gives. She needs someone who isn’t hesitant about showing their feelings or else it starts feeling like they’re only being with her just to please/shut her up. Felix would be a good match for her in that he’s very open with that and they could thrive off eachother.

1 Like