The Wayhaven Chronicles General Discussion (SPOILER FREE FOR BOOK THREE!)

Well All of that depending of mc Mara will kill herself before have a baby. So no problem if not they could die for all My characters care i hate babies. :slight_smile: No everyone want have smelling poo fabrics

Adoption maybe?

9 Likes

Would your MCs really that easily choose to become a vampire?

Drinking human blood (think about it :grimacing:) for all eternity, not being able to experience rich-flavored food the way you used to, the whole heightened sensory overhaul that is quite irritating for a human mind, I imagine. I’m oh so not sure on this one. Do the perks outweigh the cons, in your opinion?

1 Like

Honestly, to be with the love of my life and kids, I would do it without hesitation, not only because I want to stay with my vamp lover, but because I don’t want them to spend the rest of eternity alone.

8 Likes

If it means the MC can be with their LI for eternity?
If it means sparing them the pain when the time comes that they lose the MC when they grow old?
A million times yes.

Edit ninja-ed by @Magiller.

8 Likes

Yes. Yes 100% absolutely.

The Agency provides blood that I assume was gotten morally so there’s no issue there. Getting to live forever with your love and found family, heck yeah.

The worst part would be seeing Rebecca and the MC’s human friends growing old

8 Likes

And not even. Unless the MC died young that was going to happen either way.

7 Likes

Being super pretty and strong healing not get ill and not aging… Where is the problem? Like seriously I don’t see any issues? In fact N loves food. And you get free blood from the agency…

1 Like

And that’s assuming you like Rebecca to begin with. And that’s far assuming as game let you hated her

Emma would be hesitant, if only because there would be a chance it could kill her. Rather scared of death, this one.(And seeing Tina and them get old and die would hurt.)

Hayden: “Eh…fuck it. Let’s do it.” She’d think it over more after the fact. :sweat_smile:

Cassandra would likely hold off and talk it over with Nat. Probably multiple times over the years.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the input, guys.

My biggest concern comes from human progress and inevitable change in both individuals and society as a whole. Suppose my MC becomes a vamp. It’s not a stretch to say that in X amount of years humanity will evolve, both artificially and naturally, in so many ways that you simply wouldn’t be able to recognize or associate yourself with any of them. They’ll look like aliens that you would struggle to understand or keep up with, even in vamp form - an outdated antique by the time. Not a bright picture, imo.

Secondly comes a question of how vampirism affects mind, more specifically memories. Human brain obviously has a capacity limit and when it hits that limit, what happens? Do older, not so relevant memories get erased and overwritten? Again, in X amount of years, will you be able to remember your former human self? Or how you met with UB? Or will it be a blank slate, gnawing at the back of your mind? :confused:

It’s not a decision to be taken lightly is what I think.

6 Likes

Well, sure, but it’s not like you wouldn’t have the invaluable help and support from the Agency and Unit Bravo. Unit Bravo are all vampires too, and three of them where humans before.

Considering A is old as heck they’ve lived through seeing humanity evolve already, they have long memories. Getting their input would be a huge help

7 Likes

You are assuming that they still degrade and having a human brain. They don’t . You stop being human and your brain changes to allow that healing speed and everything else like hyper senses. That includes memory your brain doesn’t degenerate and forget I hardly doubt A vampire in this setting could in fact forget anything. As forgetting could be a fact their regenerative powers will fix same fix aging or broken bone

1 Like

True. I’m sure that-- probably especially compared to the circumstances behind the rest of UB turning-- MC would have better chances than most just based on that. They (potentially) have the chance to plan and practically the support of a small nation in The Agency. I would fear the wrath of Rebecca, were MC to not survive the process.

Adding on, emotional memories tend to be difficult to forget, and I doubt that the MC will forget their times with UB!

Also, memories aren’t forgotten until we become a blank slate. Our minds are actually quite limitless! The brain is capable of storing everything we have ever learned, and will learn, without running out of space like a computer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

True that. If not for those 2, I’d be much less willing to consider the transformation in the first place :^)

Not counting last ~100 years prior to industrialization progress was paced relatively slow and mostly in science theory and its practical application in machinery. Then in a short span we went from muskets, horses and calculus to quantum mechanics, space ships and internet.

In, say, 500 years what will stop a group of young smartasses from going “Hey, you know what? This human brain of yours. It limits us in so many ways. Enough, let’s rebuild the whole thing and introduce it in the next generation. A better, more prudent generation.” Definitely not the Agency.

But the whole picture becomes murky in such a large timeframe, so I digress.

@poison_mara
I wasn’t talking about brain illnesses that come with old age, but the physical limit. After all it does have a finite number of neurons and hence the finite number of connections that those neurons can make. What happens in the aforementioned 500 years, when you run out of space? Something will have to go. Then something else, and so on.

Eternity is no small amount of time that we are not built for :wink:

edit: I concede, @poison_mara . That talk was turning way offtopic.

1 Like

Brain doesnt work that way is considered limitedless i saw in a doc film that we could store millions of times all info humanity has stored in our neuronal net the problem is access to that info not the capacity. itself also the fact memory is stored in different places in brain. I could tell you sadly by experience due familiar with Alzheimer’s. They still remember how to write or how to play cards but they can’t remember their son. But weird things could make them remember something for a moment.

So a vampire would not have a store problem like in millions and if humanity still alive tech would supply a solution.

1 Like

Deviating from the current discussion to share some new snippets from incorrectwayhaven!

Tina : You were stabbed. Do you remember anything?
Detective : Only the ambulance ride to the hospital.
Tina : That wasn’t an ambulance, I drove you.
Detective : But I heard a siren.
M : That was F.
F : I’m sorry, I panicked.

F is too pure and adorable. :hugs:

Detective : N is hot.
Detective : F is hot.
Detective : M is hot.
Detective : A is hot.
Detective : Ugh, why is everyone so hot?
Douglas : Global warming.

I don’t know why but this made me laugh so much :joy:

18 Likes

Gosh, such interesting and thought-provoking conversations y’all have when I’m gone. :cry:

And as much as I personally want to consider the questions of memory limitations and the effect it has on personality (I’m with @anon8836198 everything I’ve learned say that memories, i.e. neural pathways, are limited, and because humans past the age of one don’t really create more neurons, memory does become a finite resource), I think we’re all forgetting…

If physical limitations actually applied to supernatural beings, then in order for F to outrun a sportscar their leg muscles would be huuuuuuuuuge and they would also need to be capable of anaerobic respiration (in such a way that doesn’t result in lactic acid), same with M being able to lift of a column arm muscles like damn.

While humans are capable of feats of strength, it also comes with huge limitations, and really only counts as super-strength when it’s relative to average human exertion, but what the vamps exhibit is downright superhuman because it goes beyond even our upper limits and continues to shatter past.

So, I don’t think we can really apply the same logic here and we must instead stick with, “What would make most sense for the story?”

And I would say that, for the purposes of A and N angst, memories are not lost to the mists of time because otherwise A’s grudges and N’s wistfulness for humanity would have been lost a long, long time ago.

16 Likes

Even if the memory would weaken with time, memories that provoked intense emotions stay with us forever for a memory that caused strong emotions in someone would cause the hippocampus to shoot that bad boy right into that long-term memory slot (which sometimes backfires in trauma survivors) so, even as vampires, we would forget A LOT of useless stuff (like how many dogs we petted in out life) but remember emotional events (when we first got a puppy…when that puppy died…).

As for space, our brains are infinite so you’ll never run out of space. Your sense of time however…

4 Likes