The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book One (WIP)

Antagonists will differ from book to book (as confirmed by Sera) but unconfirmed if villains are affiliated with one another (i.e. evil organization) or if they have similar agendas/agendas that have overlapping interests

If this happens I feel like this would be one of the latter books (mostly for the supreme evil is best for last)

4 Likes

I’m back today :smiley:

The wedding was amazing! And I’m back partly (it was a long weekend, lol) refreshed!

My goal is still to get the writing for Book One done this year, but obviously, the year is flashing by quicker than I can believe, lol. So from now, I will be seriously knuckling down to blast through the writing and also be doing tests more often with my testers to get things through and on the move.

@spunkycatninja has offered to continue my grammar editing stuff (which is incredible and I’m so grateful as it’s reading so smoothly now!), so we’ll be on with that too.

It just means I may not be around quite as much here because I want to try and spend every minute on writing :slight_smile: But I’ll still be here in case of questions or anything and also keep up with weekly updates!

Hope everyone is doing wonderfully :slight_smile:

57 Likes

@seraphinite Hey- love the WIP… it’s a uniquely interesting premise and the perspective shifts are a fascinating feature. Each character is really well fleshed out, in a well-executed show-don’t-tell manner. I’m really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Just once minor criticism… it’s slightly immersion-breaking to choose your character’s name and background but to have your mother’s name predetermined and unchangeable. Perhaps it could always be “Agent [lastname]” or self-selected… I just guess “Rebecca” seems like an unnecessary and slightly dissonant addition.

Other than that, the story’s fantastic! Please, keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think the name Rebecca was chosen because it’s fairly neutral as far as names go. It doesn’t point to a specific ethnicity/nationality, so it’s easier to imagine her as being the same (or different) to whoever your MC is.

I never found it immersion-breaking myself. She is an NPC, and an important one at that.

5 Likes

Right, she’s definitely an important NPC. I wasn’t suggesting (keyword) any drastic overhaul of the character, just a minor point I noticed. The name is fine and you’re certainly right about it being fairly neutral (though correct me if I’m wrong but it has some kind of Semitic root), though I do believe most names indeed are fairly “neutral” (at least in the context of American or Western Culture). I don’t know, it was just slightly disconcerting for me… it’s a common gripe I have with more than a couple CoG titles

3 Likes

Also- after a couple more playthroughs… this might be a bug, but male characters have the “stylish” option of wearing a pencil skirt. Not that there’s anything necessarily wrong with that, but I figured you’d wanna know

@user22hundred- Yeah, I tried to go with as generic a name as possible for Rebecca. The reason I didn’t want to player to name her is that I wanted her to feel very much like a set character, one that already is established away from how the player is making the MC. Giving her a set name helps with that, I think.
Not sure if that actually made sense, lol. In my looking at names, Rebecca popped up in a lot of different lists, which is why I ended up on that one. Though it’s likely any name I would have picked might not fit in for everything :confused:

She’s referred to as ‘Agent [surname]’ or ‘mother’ some of the time though, so I hope that helps a bit!

The fashion choice for guys is intentional as I wanted to give all players all choices for that :slight_smile:

I’m so glad you enjoyed the demo! And that characters feel well crafted to you :slight_smile: It’s going to be character and relationship-driven, so it’s so nice to know I’m off to a good start with that! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Quick Update

Nothing major today, still getting back into the flow of things :smiley: I did a quick edit over some of the chapters and am getting down to work on starting Chapter 16 today! Chapter 16 is a biggy, but it is the set-up chapter for the downward slide to the end, so that’s exciting!

Hopefully I’ll have better progress next week as it will be a full week back to writing :slight_smile:

Here’s a little snippet of one of the choices with Nate/Nat- I got to write some of the first ‘down-time, friendship’ scenes, and it was nice just writing a bit of nice conversation and building up the relationships!

Choice: "If you keep buying me food, then you can stay for as long as you want."

I gesture at my plate and the crumbly, warm pastry sat on top of it. “If you keep buying me food, then you can stay for as a long as you want.”

She breaks into a gentle laugh. “So we have to bribe you?”

“Not necessarily bribe,” I say in just as much joking as she did. “But sweeten the deal, you know?”

“I’m glad we met you, Detective,” she replies with a sudden cheer. “The team seems to have awoken since you’ve been around. A waking up we’ve needed to have kicked into us for some time now.” There’s a heavy meaning to those words, one which Nat doesn’t elaborate on and instead goes back to enjoying her breakfast.

Have a great weekend everyone and I’ll talk to you on Monday! :smiley:

43 Likes

I think I might be late to the party but I just finished playing the demo and…boy, lol. I was so sucked into the story I was pouting like a child when the demo ended with quite a painful yet delicious cliffhanger. It was especially tense at the end there because I was sulking in the afterglow of the squabble with Adam and decided not to let anyone from the gang know where I was going. I quickly learned that had NOT been a good idea lol

In conclusion: I absolutely loved it. Your writing experience shows through! It had me deeply focused on reading but it also tickled that urge to open up a fresh document, crack my knuckles, and GO. That’s what good writing does to you grins All in all, I wish you good luck on your remaining chapters, I myself can’t wait to see what’s in store! :yum:

11 Likes

Are there any fanartists or writers here :)) been having a binge need for Wayhaven stuff but it seems so few and far in between?

//tries to keep busy while waiting for the game to come out (part of me is hoping for a Christmas release but that seems unlikely — TAKE YOUR TIME THOUGH SERA)

4 Likes

My main problem with guys wearing skirts is not the skirts but the fact that today it is clothing that isn’t designed to look well on the male body and is therefore unflattering.
Believe me lots of young Greek and Roman guys made skirts and “dresses” look very good on guys in the distant past but those things were designed to enhance the masculine figure where possible, whereas today the cut and shape of most dresses and skirts is obviously unflattering on most men on account of having been designed for the feminine figure.
Sorry for the fashion rant from somebody who thinks most modern women’s fashion is overly silly, frilly and impractical.
Still I guess more options are usually better and real cross-dressers and trans women will enjoy the added representation. And I’ll admit the thought of Adam crossdressing makes even me chuckle.

3 Likes

BOYFRIEND TRIES MY CLOTHES CHALLENGE :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Well no, my mc is a guy too although Adam wearing his clothes would be pretty hot too I’ll admit. :yum:

MY BOYFRIEND STOLE MY CLOTHES!! :sushing_face:

1 Like

…is he wearing them? Or just wants you to be nude? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hehe Not mine, I ment idonotlikeusernames’ MC with Adam, I don’t have a bf although I’m crushing on a classmate but he probably won’t notice me but that’s for another time :flushed:

4 Likes

Hey, go ask him out. You never know until you act.

6 Likes

Considering Adam has likely has the nicer clothes (not that he seems to wear them all that much as he seems to go for practical and casual most of the time) so if my mc had access to his wardrobe the reverse would seem slightly more likely.
Besides he already practically throws his coat on the mc at least once already. :wink:
It also helps I envision my mc not differing all that much from Adam in size and stature.

1 Like

In speaking of Adam’s wardrobe, does anyone else have the idea that he actually doesn’t have a lot of variation? Maybe not as bad as Mason – like I can honestly see him with a uniform of a black shirt and jeans and not much else, only thing that I think makes him look different are possibly his accessories (beyond his choker, I think he’d wear a lot of rings or what not) – but generally Adam’s wardrobe doesn’t really require him to think too much on what to pair things with

6 Likes

I can see that. Adam strikes me as the type who has alot of pairs of something that look almost exactly the same. But would insist that they’re totally different.

7 Likes

Well, I’ve played the demo countless times now, and I have to say, I still cant decide between Ava, Nat, and Farah, theyre all too great at what they were meant to be protrayed as. Morgan just doesnt appeal to me though.

5 Likes