The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book One (WIP)

Okay since the news of the start of the romance paths have been up and about, imagine an unlucky in love MC (or maybe N given what @Seraphinite said about how they view romance in the beginning) pulling a Steve Rogers/Peggy Carter:

[On the topic of MC’s love life, especially with how career focused they are]

[Bonus if they were discussing their fallout with Bobby and decision to remain single after that]

MC: For the past few years, it just didn’t seem to matter that much. I figured I’d just wait

LI: For what?

MC: The right partner

1 Like

So uh being gone for a while how much have I missed :sweat_smile:

“That depends Detective how many times did you discharge your firearm? Do you discharge it so much that you loose track?” Vampire glares

1 Like

Oh wow, you’re spoiling me, so I can have that cutie Adam and Nate too. :yum:

Considering Adam basically got shot in my game because he acted like a thuggish teenage hooligan…I’m not seeing the maturity much, yet. I mean if they had come peacefully my mc would have been more than willing to let them go with a warning and a stern lecture, since that warehouse was abandoned and nobody would likely have cared enough to press vandalism charges anyway. The only ones they (and my mc too) were really endangering was themselves.

Yep, though not by choice in my case.

Also true, however that likely won’t change as long as the “nuclear” (straight) family is still the societal ideal for childrearing.

1 Like

I think fiction can serve as an ideal and because of the nuclear family ideal non-nuclear families are seen as “unhealthy” which can become a self fulfilling prophecy due to outside pressure or societal pressures

No argument from me, but I think fiction and society both will be slow to change.

Through @Interestedparty 's “Through Broken Lenses” has guardian/ward going on, though I think you can pretend father/child with your CIA handler there too. It’s definitely a non-nuclear family/home life situation there.

@ParrotWatcher has us mostly be orphans (with single parent beforehand) or totally unknown parents (his second game with that cutie Alex :yum:)

Many other games on this site also let the mc choose the sort of family home life they come from and much like Totem Force, XoR also always has you with a single dad at the beginning (and it’s definitely not the idealized sort of home life situation either).

Oh I didn’t mean here, choice of and hosted tends to buck a lot of the more annoying fiction or media or societal trends. It’s why I love the games and the community.

@Seraphinite
Okay obvious question of the day time! Are there going to be Bad Ends or chances for our character to die within the narrative? I kind of assumed there would be, but since this is a relationship focused game I wasn’t sure.

2 Likes

@avidreader - I’ve nearly finished Chapter 6, then it’s only Chapter 7 to go before the full demo is completely written!

@Summerbones - That’s a good question! I wouldn’t say ‘bad’ ends. I really don’t like ‘bad’ ends in things. Different ends, maybe not great ends, but not necessarily ‘bad’ ends. There may be ends where everything goes wrong, and the start of the next book is bad, but I hope to put in chances to resolve ‘bad’ ends if they happen.
As for the MC dying, probably not, well maybe there will be times like it- but not dying in the traditional sense :smiley:

I’m writing The Wayhaven Chronicles in the way I like interactive fiction, so not dying or having to restart is due to personal preference, especially because it’s a series. I’m not a fan of investing time into a long game, or even the sequel, only for my character to die and have to restart over again. Plus, dying isn’t always the worst consequence of bad things… dundundun :wink:

40 Likes

me too. i don’t like bad ends. so it almost pains me when VN gives bonus stuff only when you finish the whole endings. :frowning:

there is this romance VN that have four endings for each suitor and worst ending is Normal Ending.
you both have misunderstanding/mistrust so badly that when you finally resolve the misunderstanding/mistrust, it’s already too late. you don’t end up together. but the bittersweet love is still there, so the suitor remains near the queen heroine in some form. ex) soldier, adviser, etc

4 Likes

So. While waiting around for the update anyone want to speculate on first date shenanigans?

1 Like

Crossing my fingers that MC and the LI are the only ones who don’t realize its a date. Or Bobby shows up and things get carried away.

14 Likes

i think A and M’s would be not an actual date. it will be probably like a mission that somehow ends up being only two of them.

F and N’s would be either they or MC asks out on an actual date.

9 Likes

My MC is a cheeky, sneaky, rule breaker. She’d take Ava on a date under the pretense of it being a mission and somehow manage make Ava oblivious to it until they got back an the rest of the team’d be all grinning knowingly like: “hey, how was your date?”

5 Likes

The villain hypnotizes the MC and becomes like a genocidal Bonny and Clyde? One can always guess. :laughing:

1 Like

My mc needs to find an excuse to get Adam to dress-up nice. Maybe war of Independence re-enactment or something?
I bet he’d make a dashing period cavalry officer (probably because he actually used to be one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

5 Likes

Generally the 4 in military dress blues like Y E S

@Seraphinite is the vampire world are MC will soon discovery more like underworld or more like twilight?

And how did mom discovery the team and trust them and did she pick A as the leader or is it the oldest always takes over, because their older and have more exprience and self control? (In some cases)

And did N just drink the tea to act normal or can they actual taste human food?

2 Likes

I’ve actually never consciously thought about that before. Now I’m wondering what they can and can’t do to sustain themselves.

1 Like

Yeah, because I always thought that scene was a bit different because I know N seems to try to act more “human” than the others or fit in and also tries to be less suspicious than the others, so I’m wondering if she did that as an tempt to do a more human thing, thinking that if she tries this it will put the MC more at ease. Or in case if she wasn’t born as a vampire she might have like tea before she change, and maybe she misses being human at times.

Yeah I can’t wait to found out even though I feel we will learn more by what they can and can’t do by N, but maybe to when the MC tries to get them to act more normal when he/she finds out. Like maybe a scene when one of them eats something and immediately vomits afterwards, and if the MC doesn’t know the mc will think it was weird or their sick or if the MC knows it will make the mc realize that they have to find a way to get them the food they need to eat (blood).

1 Like