The Viking Age Era- Interest check

Hey I completely understand, there is a difference between historical fact and historical fiction. I just want people to start using the term Viking correctly. As to the Shield Maiden thing, I think it is best to go with the modern take that Shield Maidens were not uncommon. I still think have a few people give them a hard time, and letting everyone know they weren’t a common sight would add to the flavor of the story. Playing as a Shield Maiden that kicks those misogynist derrieres all over the place would be cool.

1 Like

Yes I been waiting for something like this

This sounds really interesting!
If you’d really like to make the viking/english option (which would be rather awesome within one and the same game!) I do think it’d be easier if you worked on one of the two first and then the other one. It will be a hell of a lot of work to do both, though, as it will be as two whole different storylines.
The idea of being able to choose between the two of them is really great and I would love for it to be in the game!

Sounds great, are you thinking of keeping this more realistic or are you thinking of adding any mythology into it as well?

1 Like

Wait so we vikings or a king

@Shaniya_Bowman hasn’t decided yet. There might be a poll coming up soon though.

Hello everyone. So I’ve updated the Main post. The information section and I’ve added some answers to questions that most of you had asked. I would recommend reading both sections. If you have anymore questions ask :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Do you intend to adhere to historical accuracy and try to streamline the story in the direction of actual events? or shall we be able to shift the course of history?

For instance, properly uniting England and maybe even forming the British Empire is a hilariously gratifying prospect although the former would already facilitate the latter as the rest of the British Isles are still practically barbarians at this point( the Irish and Scottish)

Also, how self-contained will the story be? Will we be stuck to our English castles? or shall we have interactions with the aforementioned remaining regions of the British Isles or perhaps even mainland Europe( this is unlikely but it’s good to remember Francia still exists) ?

Regarding religion, will it be just a choice between atheism, Norse and catholicism? The first two would make you an infidel which is inadvisable but aside from that, can we become a heretic Cathar or Fraticelli for example?

3 Likes

I loved The Last Kingdom, one of my favourite shows, mainly because of the Vikings I think, just love their way of life and humour especially their confusion about religion and being baptised xD Would love to play as a viking though but having the option to act like a Viking is fine too (reminds me of Uthred ). I need to agree that having an option to betray the English and support the Vikings instead is appealing or vise versa.
Looking forward to it !

4 words
Yes!
Vikings!
Saxon dogs!

well @Drakeye …kek

I am really looking forward to this!

@kyros I don’t intend to trace the exact steps of history during that part in time, but instead allow the MC to control it and change it. For example In 827 London was United for the first time. Now the MC will have the choice to unite England or not bother.

Now big changes such as creating the British Empire. I don’t see myself putting that in the game I’ll have to think about that. But you will definitely be able to change the course of history in a not accurate way which I think will give the game flavor.

Now I can’t say for sure yet if you will be stuck in England, again still in development but I would like to say your MC will be able to go on a voyage for a few reasons such as trade, diplomatic reasons, and maybe a few more. But I can say for sure you will not find your MC leaving England that much.

Now regarding Atheism, catholic, and Norse, I can explain a bit. Back then their wasn’t a lot of atheists. Sure your character can be an atheist but telling that to others will have a great impact on character relationship, the pope, (Yes the pope will have an important role), and could effect future allegiance making. Now of course your MC can be an atheist in private not effecting your reputation. Being a catholic and really investing in Godly work can give your character a big advantage, considering the pope was the head of all Christian Rulers, so to be on the popes side could help with what you wish to do. Now converting to Norse religion will have its ups and downs. I haven exactly decided what Would happens yet but I do know it will be good and bad. Now to answer your main question can you become a heretic cathar or fraticeli? I haven’t really thought about it. I mean historically speaking Cathorism did make its way to Francia so I don’t see why it couldnt make it’s way to London. The only thing is I can’t see that religion making an impact on your character beside Christians frowning upon you. Now franticeli I could see putting in the game considering they believed the wealth and power of the church was wrong. I could see the MC going against the church. Now my overall answer is I’m not sure I will add anymore religion beside the three I stated but now that I think of it I could see the story that could come with the MC being a franticeli.

I hope I was able to shine some light on these maters, if not please tell me and I’ll try and go more in depth. :slightly_smiling_face:

@filopay Trust me I planned on adding it so your MC will be able to betray anyone but not always at the best cost. Some will come back to bite you and others not really effect much but how that character sees you. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I think you’ve answered my questions quite well and I’ll definitely be keeping watch on the development updates

Although speaking of the pope, will we have any form of interaction with Charlemagne and the HRE?

Well I planed on making the in game characters from scratch so no he will not be there :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So will you only be replacing people? or is this an entirely “new world” based on medieval England?

maybe you could marry a viking king and unite the two? like in order to stop the raids

2 Likes

I have a suggestion:

I honestly get a little annoyed when there’s obvious proof of pagan deities, but the only option for Christian/“not-Christian” characters is to “clap their hands and believe”.

I just think that there should be some element other than belief on the part of our Christian Saxons. English folklore is rich in tales of saints and mystics.

4 Likes

I like the era, not a huge fan of playing thebleader however. I understand it leaves a lot more options open for the reader though. If its a good story I’ll play it.

I love the idea of a Viking based game, specially the idea of it being accurate. Good luck with your potential project!

1 Like