The Marriage Market

There’s a new error now: I get a

characterbuild line 190: bad label characterbuild

error when my mother calls my name.

(Also, you still have all those exclamations in there so I don’t think the calls are going to work. We can’t actually see them yet though.)

Can’t progress now cuz of this new bug…

ugh, coding is going to be the death of my I swear… should be fixed now!

@geldar Could you tell me if the name error is still happening? Also, I’m not that experienced with coding, but the tutorials say that the “!” is needed for capitalization and everything seems to be working fine on my end? Please let me know if the problem is still happening!

4 Likes

Yup, it’s working now.

Huh, it does say that in the tutorial. That’s weird. I always though it was for literals. Maybe someone better at Choicescript than me can explain it. But it’s working without that being changed, so I guess I was wrong. EDIT: Turns out the escape character in Choicescript is backslash, not !. So yeah, I was wrong. Dunno why it wasn’t working before though.

1 Like

When coding capitalized letters/names just make the first one capitalized. I.e. $(Namemc) or $(mcHe_She_They)

1 Like

heh, wonder if octavia/octavian has an anti-vampire whip lying around

also romances are great for the extra content but we’re gonna have the option to stay unmarried right

2 Likes

AAAAA I was waiting for the demo I can’t believe it’s available now :sneezing_face::heart_eyes:

1 Like

I haven’t read a single word but I love it already

3 Likes

I love this game so much, its really nice!

2 Likes

Will keep an eye on this

1 Like

Who is this supposed to be?

1 Like

T’is a secret!

5 Likes

My god, the demo is so very short and yet I’m already in love and very exited what its future holds.
Quick question though, I’m assuming things as homophobia and racism don’t really exist in this universe? Are heirs important? If yes, how will same sex couples handle that?
Again love your work and will definitely play the next update!

3 Likes

Lol I also just got the same ask on my blog. What a funny coincidence!
Like I said before, this game will be in no way historically accurate. Therefore no one bats an eye at same-sex couples! So, adoption is a common thing in this society, especially in the upper classes where it’s important to have an heir. However, the child needs to be adopted by both parents to be considered “legitimate” by both bloodlines.

Hope this makes sense!

6 Likes

I already can’t wait to meet Octavia but that rogue got me intrigue as well. Hope the updates keep going.

3 Likes

My guess would be either with a donor or surrogate, while the process is probably… More traditional, due to the lack of medical knowledge to do it any other way. So basically, they’d find an eligible partner of the opposite sex, then proceed to have an incredibly awkward night in the sheets.

It would probably function more as a business transition than anything, seeing as it’s unlikely to be a friend helping out due to the nobility aspect. With commoners in a same sex relationship, they’d probably have a friend help out or something, but when it comes to nobility it’s unlikely to be a friendly favor and more akain to a transaction as I said.

1 Like

This is very interesting. I wonder how the murder subplot will be worked into the matchfinding aspect without eclipsing it. I hope there will be a Wickham-like figure about (someone that appears to be eligible, charming, kind, and aesthetically pleasing, but hides a personality that we call “toxic” in the modern day). I shall have fun thwarting them and protecting my loved ones (and maybe once falling for their charms myself). Maybe it’s [REDACTED]?

I think that I am most curious about Mordecai Sinclair–I am fond of helping the meek guy become more confident in himself. I hope that my PC can help him grow as a person (I say he, because I will probably set Mordecai to be male).

2 Likes

I get that you’re not interested in historical accuracy here, but you’re working from a genre that is founded on a set of highly gendered roles and institutions, making it read very oddly with a male MC. So far, we’ve got a character who hits all the basic notes of a Jane Austen heroine- daughter of a “good” family without a lot of money for whom marriage is the only path to a secure future. It’s not spelled out in what you have so far, but anyone who’s familiar with the genre can fill in those blanks. But that situation emerges from a set of rules about inheritance and roles that were very gendered: daughters can’t inherit the main estate and there were very few respectable roles for a single woman without much money (and those that existed largely meant depending on the goodwill of relatives). Without those rules, the pressure to marry lessens tremendously.

So why is it so desperately important that a son marry in this setting? If we’re assuming the same rules that we’ve got in an Austen novel, his situation is likely far less urgent. If he’s the oldest, he’d inherit land and title. Maybe he might need to find a rich woman to bring money in to keep the estate going, but the idea that you have to marry now isn’t there (since men could marry later without problem- 20 would probably be on the young side for a man to marry). A younger son could enter other professions if he didn’t inherit- he had options beyond marriage to secure his future. Since you’re not sticking to history, it’s possible to imagine circumstances that would explain it, but that has to be spelled out- without an explanation, your readers are going to fill in with what exists in existing Regency romances, and the set-up so far really only makes sense for a woman under those norms.

I think that if you’re going to allow male MCs (and I think it’s great that you do), you’ll need to get some worldbuilding in early on that establishes why there’s so much urgency for the MC to marry. Assumed genre conventions alone can’t carry that for you.

27 Likes

We need a sarcastic personality-

9 Likes

I really do like the concept of the story. Also agree that we need an sarcastic personality like Eloise from Bridgerton. I hope you continue this story. We need more content and a bit of polish. Cant wait to see the story all together. :slight_smile:

9 Likes