The Lost Heir Trilogy

Or maybe like Fatehaven you can get better at a certain skill in exchange for becoming corrupted…although being evil isn’t necessarily a bad thing in TLH

Being evil tends to reward you with money in this. Also, one of the artifacts is only available to evil characters. Seems like enough of a reward as is, IMO.

Yeah, I guess it only works in games where being evil makes evil things happen to you, although in theory corruption in exchange for power isn’t a bad idea, once you get round the problem of making being bad be bad but good in the sense that it gives you more power, but not enough for it to be the only means neccesary for winning.

1 Like

Yes, Xi’atta can hurt the troll. Try blasting ice on the ground.

Can’t open door with ice powers or intellect, but can harm a monstor that can kill 4 guards quite substantially. Yay, demon summoners forever.

I have two suggestions for the next chapter of this.

One, allow failed attempts to increase the relevant stat, just as successful attempts do. As it is, picking the wrong skill (or not having a sufficient skill) for a given challenge is doubly painful, as not only do you lose out on whatever it affects, but you also lose out on the desperately-needed skill advancement for later.

Two, lower many of the skill requirements. At present, they’re fairly absurdly high. The initial comment block for each chapter notes that “20 is some training, 40 is average skilled, 60 is highly skilled” - this is not, frankly, realistic, particularly when comparing attributes & knowledges to skills, as the latter start at zero. And even by this metric, you are very frequently checking extremely high levels of skill. The ‘Stronghold’ scene, in the middle of the game, doesn’t appear to have any checks whatsoever below 30, and the most common level is in the range of 40-50.

Simply lowering requirements by 10 across the board would, I think, go far in allowing some degree of diversity among characters that stand a snowball’s chance of surviving by any other method than plot immunity. A more involved method would be to examine how many ‘training points,’ you are giving out, and tailor the challenges of a given chapter around that number, with due consideration for the differences between the starting levels of skills, attributes, and knowledges.

12 Likes

I think I ran into a bug. I had my character get in a relationship with both Gill and Karl. I slept with Gill in his tent and in the hotel room. When Karl came back, I welcomed him into my room, too. There wasn’t any objection from Gill (I don’t think he was mentioned at all) and the line “you spend your nights with Gill” changed to Karl. Gill also didn’t show any stat decreases and Karl didn’t seem to notice his presence either.

Thanks, I’ve recorded it. :slight_smile:

So much to do, so little time! I wrote a lot last week on Part 2 during my week off work. :slight_smile: I haven’t touched any bugs yet, but I’ve recorded them all from all sources. My constant dillemma, fix 1 or work on 2. :smile:

1 Like

Excuse me but do you still need people to test your game?

He needs you to buy it, Beez. It’s up at Hosted Games.

12 Likes

So a while ago I think I ran into some kind of bug of sorts. I decided to play the free version of The Lost Heir(which is only Chapter 1) and my WiFi was terribly slow so it came out looking something like this(I didn’t get to screenshot the one for TLH) instead of the usual

. The problem is when the format of TLH was of the first image, instead of getting to play only Chapter 1, I ended up exceeding more than that. I remember being part of the Thieve’s Guild(smth like that) and even seeing Gale again, so I decided to refresh the page. When I refreshed the page it turned back to normal(like the one in the 2nd pic) and I could only play up to Chapter 1, as should be. I think that’s an issue you might want to look in to.

Anyways, just wanted to tell the author that I really liked the beta. Why isn’t this available on Steam? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know. @jasonstevanhill will likely want to look into this.

I’d love for the Hosted Games to reach Steam, but I understand that Steam limits CoG as to how many titles they will allow, so CoG uses their allotment for their labeled games. I hope this changes in the future.

Potentially Lucid’s best work yet.

I felt emotionally attached to my companions, they were each carefully fleshed out with their own interesting back stories, made sense, and had solid motivations explaining why they acted the way they did, overall they felt quite believable which made it easy to empathize with them.

The ending really hooked me up for what lay ahead in Part 2, and I feel charged up and full of ambition.

Zusak really feels like being set up as the ultimate arch nemesis of the MC, I do like how he doesn’t appear to be a stereotypical evil for the sake of evil villain, rather it does seem he has some morally grey strategy in mind, its almost like he’s the anti-thesis of sorts to the MC, a worthy foe, I really enjoy his character and look forward to seeing more of him, though I’m glad his presence wasn’t overused as he did only appear when it made sense for him to do so.

I checked my alignment after demon summoning, and it didn’t seem to change. I take it summoning demons is not inherently evil. (Though it will disappoint your foster parent, which has its own cost.)

Comments about a couple of items on this list:
2) The one time I put 200 gp on the Mischief God’s altar, all he did was burp at me. Do you need to be evil or something to get the feather?
4) Getting the gem is fairly tricky. You need to finish the sheep run with enough money to be a full partner in the next raid, do so, help Thea/Theo loot the final room, then achieve a total victory over the guards so they don’t steal the gem back (most easily done with high Charm), then take the gem as a partnership share.

I did get the gem on my first try, it wasn’t really that hard, though maybe that was because my Prince of Daria was a ruthless pragmatist.

Steam only allows a company to put on so many titles at a time as they slowly prove themselves. CoG decided to put their own titles up, to start with. They appear to be doing well, but they haven’t built enough credit to put up the Hosted titles. Hopefully they will, some day.

Steam won’t take them. Yet. The “slowly prove themselves” that Lucid mentioned applies to the whole genre of text adventures, not just to CoG as a company. Steam isn’t in a hurry to get lots of interactive fiction on their site, though hopefully as the money rolls in that will change.

1 Like

How can you raise your charm?
And unlock any of the achievements?

I don’t write walkthroughs for my own games, sorry. :slight_smile: But, getting a lute at the beginning helps charm, as well as being a bard. There are many others. Any time you can talk or persuade.

The achievements are all reachable. Someone may jump into this thread and give tips.

On a side note, Lost Heir 2: Building a Kingdom is coming along nicely. I’m around the 78k mark right now, but I don’t know if that has much meaning since I will simply keep writing until it’s done. :slight_smile:

Also, my talented graphic designer is working on the cover art for parts 2 and 3 at the same time. He’s taking his time, since I likely won’t need the next one until the fall.

As always, be sure to Like my page and follow me for more updates: www.facebook.com/LucidsGames

3 Likes