The Hero Project : Open Season’s ending (Spoilers)

Tbh that can be said about any RPG. Or any game in general. It’s an illusion of choice. I agree with what your saying, perhaps there wasn’t a big difference. But there is rather a choice of how the world ends up in OS. In the first novel, you don’t get much except in choosing to kill Prodigal or find a way not to kill her (you’re also locked in decision based on previous decisions), and which type of hero you were going to be, which is more or less irrelevant. The second installment mostly made choices about how you felt during the ending and whether or not you were going to openly rebel against being dampened or not. Of course this choice doesn’t matter, given what happens anyways. The third installment has you choose between four options at the Climax, which seem almost trivial. Only one option really differs from the rest, and that’s killing Victon. The rest of the options during the falling action and conclusion are more or less, irrelevant. You choose which type of hero you’ll be, but that’s the most “major” occurrence, which is also mostly cosmetic, as nothing major changes. HPRS is similar and it projects nothing but goal setting and possibly choosing some RO in the ending, while the Loa Shift bs occurs. But during OS you get to choose between several options of fame, morality, radical beliefs, and wealth. The options here, while also cosmetic in a way, are alternatively better because they offer choices that are more relevant to the world around you, and not purely cosmetic. But more in effect, you have more choices. The only problem is, instead of making the series with a conclusive ending, where you feel as if it everything is right in the world, and it actually concludes, you get the strange vibes that the series continues, most undoubtedly from the links that the author has been throwing in the entire series for Versus.

1 Like

Just that you don’t get to choose.
The only difference is the amount of meaningless flavortext that you get.

OS is a game you can literally play by spaming the ‘mext’ button and still end up with 86 legend, enough for the bonus.

You say OS is better than the other games because there your choices barely matter?

How is barely less than not in the slightest?

As ridiculous, unnecessary and mindboggling as the whole barring one from decisions was before, at least it was something.
In OS NOTHING of what you do is taken into account except for some ‘relationship’ stuff.

The only differences are what useless and unsatisfying achievement you get.
It’s as if Sergi’s convinced by now the A in CYOA stands for Achievement not for Adventure.

And deciding the fate of the world? Sure. It’s doomed. Because whether or not you get the bonus, the alien abduction is what happens.
And that means everyone who could best Culic and keep him from doing sh*t is gone.
The game keeps telling us culic is bad news, yet it does not allow us to do anything about it.
All but one ending even see him succeed either directly or indirectly.

So yeah. There was more of freedom of choice and consequences in the previous installments and that’s saying a lot.

4 Likes

…I think I really hate this new game. I only did the first three chapters and… I just… My character is now a bad guy, who never wanted to join that thing in the first place! And… I can’t stand it. He doesn’t want to be a member of the basically terrorist organization! But no, I’m being forced into it. I mean seriously. I loved all of the other games and was so excited for this new one now… now I don’t want to play it. I refuse to at this point. My hero is now a villain so why waste money on a game that is doing the exact opposite of what I want? I mean really. No. I’m not doing it. I’ll just wait until the next game comes out, if there ever is one, and then spend money in this game in hopes the new one will be better. I hate my current one. I mean I might as well make my hero a villain from the beginning if this is what they wanted me to do. What’s the point of doing otherwise? I hate this new game. I refuse to buy it because of this. And normally I would rant like this but seriously. My hero is a villain. A terrorist villain. No. I refuse. Fuck JK if she wants to be a terrorist with her little fucking terrorist friends them go right ahead. Oh and let’s not forget that I didn’t ask to be in there stupid place with terrorist in their terrorist group. No. It’s forcing me to be. And I refuse. Even the fact if my own original being there will not change my mind. I hate this new game.

4 Likes

Spoiler:
There won’t be another game for HR (least someone gets to write a redux of the entire pentalogy) but at the end of OS everyone ‘important’ got beamed up into the Versus verse

…I wanna play open season now because of that. I’ve just got into Versus but I love it. I can’t wait for the next game of Versus to come out then.

Not worth it.
It’s literally just everyone getting beamed up becausr infinitim was a versus alien scouting new half-time show fodder.

Spent your money on Fallen Hero.

1 Like

Fallen hero is way better then the whole pentalogy in just one book well done @malinryden :clap::raised_hands:

2 Likes

FH manages to do the things right HR tried.
You can see an influence in FH, which makes it more interesting.

3 Likes

You can’t really compare the first trilogy with FH. The first Hero Rise was one of the first CoG games to be released, the first game to have a continuation, etc. People have learned more and ChoiceScript had evolved too, that is why there game might have seen obsolete now, but without it I doubt a lot of people would have get invested in CoG.
But the last games doesn’t deserve the same leniency, they brought nothing new and aren’t enganging as the new heroes games (like FH and CCH).

2 Likes

True but I can compare it with the latest one that was released shortly before FH and the same system was probably used

1 Like

Though looking at what was possible with the code at the time and just some basic storytelling bits, even there HR stumbles.
As in: the author shows he KNOWS some coding tricks… just not when they’d be needed.
E.g. he uses random for multiple puzzles, but can’t set BlackMagic’s gender at random when the MC is Bi.
He knows how to use *if just not on the stats screen, etc.
He can come up with different approaches to a scene for the choicebody… but not write these paths out.

And he never improved his writing and coding.

2 Likes

Well hello to the person reading this, I am new and im starting my little “debut” by simply posting my thought about a certain ending in THP: Open Season.

I was really happy about my ending in the game having accomplished what I wanted to do with my two MCs in the end but it was also in the end where the writer/s definitely ruined a good story. And by how you may ask? Simple!, by basically putting them in another clusterslugger after recently surviving the other.
Like what the fudge man? I finally got my Trilogy MC a good life with his RO which he really deserves after all of the fudge he had to face for most of the series. And since it was the last game of the series you could`ve at least gave an ending in which the Trilogy MC can finally live happily with his RO and family.

1 Like

But Mineral, how else would anyone go and read versus?
That is such an unknown game, there has to be some sort of promoting.

Okay, snark aside, lbr, many seem to really hate the xover, to th point where they said they won’t play that or any further of zach’s games.

He disappointed people one time too often it’d seem

4 Likes

my MC’s straight and male so bare with me a bit

Is there an ending where Black Magic doesn’t get nerfed and not become the most terrifying, the most powerful, and the most useless romance to ever be written? jfc when Lucky survived and still became part of a hero team, I was happy and glad I romanced someone tough, smart and generally lovable, and I understood easily and quickly why she’s not part of the Infinity Guard (duh she ain’t Infini)

But Black Magic, regardless of being wooed from TProdigy to THProject, still gets nerfed by HeroFall? Still becomes practically useless in Open Season? But MC, who has powers that can move planets and create black holes, who has powers that can deatomize matter or cause nuclear chain explosions, is put on the roster alongside two animal Infinis who can do no more than morph into existing creatures, a weak-ass NatRes Infini with just volcano-powers, and two old Infini farts, and is expected to win against an Infini who apparently became a master of their powers in such a short amount of time?

Am I doing something wrong? Because Ignite keeps dying and Black Magic continues being worthless eye candy. What am I missing?

Am I the only one who enjoyed the parts of RS and OS where the HR MC made an appearence more than the rest of those games? I don’t know what it is, but I hate playing games in the same universes as different characters. This is why Dragon Age Origins will forever be the best one and the others have become less and less interesting to me. The best parts of those games are when the Warden is mentioned. I’m super happy for 5 seconds, then I’m depressed for the rest of the game.

2 Likes

Some people have speculated that Ignite dies for the illusion to the player they’d have a chance with Crys… which… is several levels of wrong.

But yes, there is an ending where BM ‘simply’ is all ‘oh I am now a shining hero who could TAKE CARE OF THIS MESS EASILY BECAUSE I AM STILL A REALITY WARPER but i won’t because I’m a shiny hero now who won’t use other people’s lifeforce’
(sorry for that rant there but gnnnrhh) as they didn’t get depowered…

I thiiiiink you have o tell them you’re their friend or try to get in their pants at the museum (which iirc ALSO works if the relationship’s at 1 or such…)

EDIT: to save ignite you need to up your ‘expertise’ stat.

3 Likes

TBF, Our old MC is basicaly at the same level going by the ‘hey, we can reset the freaking universe’ ending and he can’t solve the situation easily either (except he can, by litteraly throwing a kamehameha black hole at her despite the bad guy supposedly no selling his attacks before…the author really isn’t all that good at ‘DBZing’ IMO)

Wasn’t ot in the nm ending that bm empowers the mc? Also its a never-canon ending, like the hospital in hr2.

But yeah. There isn’t much use of atomkinetic powers…
Heck, the old mc should have known infinitum isn’t human by her molecular structure

1 Like

There is one thing I can say I really liked in OS. All of the scenes where the two MCs interacted.

I loved that you could have them befriend each other or hate each other. I loved that you could have the THP MC tell the Trilogy MC not to fire the infini-gun thing or whatever it was, then have the Trilogy MC fire it anyways, because they’re their own character and can make their own choices.

Honestly, I have some ideas for a prequel to one of my WIPs way down the line that would have two protagonists, and that’s the kind of dual-MC interaction I’ll probably snag inspiration from.

I’m the only one who wonder how the hell the Bominate isn’t just dead already if the MC from the first hero rise trilogy is on Versus ? He clearly outgun anything seen in Versus and regeneration shenanigan don’t really help when you get attacked on an atomic level and with more energy output than a nuke.

It’s one of the biggest reason that crossover ending doesn’t work with me, the Hero Project MC’s ‘power level’ might be very ill defined but the Hero Rise MC has clearly and canonicaly done stuff that blow pretty much everyone on the Versus side out of the water, there is litteraly nothing introduced on the Versus side that can’t be solved by the Hero Rise MC.

That’s like dropping Beerus in the middle of One Piece, it just doesn’t work.

3 Likes