The Hero Deserved - a spoof on caped comic book capers (WIP, last update 10 February 2016)

As long as it is not a ring or a bell that rings, right Frodo?

1 Like

Verily. Would not do to simply walk into Mordor, after all. Not when you got catapults. :grinning:

1 Like

Very funny! It reminds me a little bit of the original Mardeks by Fighunter. (Donā€™t let the bedbugs randomly battle you in your sleep!)

Iā€™m not too fond of the remakes, but you can still find the original if anyone is into a well designed, intelligent parody based game with good story. :slightly_smiling:

Otherwise, loving this story. Pip pip, keep at it old chum!

1 Like

The Marā€¦ wut? :confused: (Sounds scary, RNG can be that!)

Uuuuuuhā€¦ Story. Yes, of course. Big story here. More twists than a twister dancing the twist on a twisted twine. All planned out. Yes, thatā€™s it. :neutral_face:

[ runs off to try to think of an actual plot ] :anguished:

4 Likes

Plot stuff. When you realise all those characters and gags you created are for nothing if you donā€™t have a plot.

1 Like

I shall soon sound like a mildly leaky cave. :blush:

ā€¦

What do you mean, ā€˜what do I meanā€™? Let me draw you a mental picture:

ā€˜Plotā€¦ plotā€¦ plotā€¦ plotā€¦ plotā€¦ plotā€¦ā€™ :neutral_face:

1 Like

Dentil (as google would have you believe) In classical architecture (from Lat. dens, a tooth) is a small block used as a repeating ornament in the bedmould of a cornice. why oh why would i dance with a dentil in the moon-faced pail-fire? The mysteries just keep adding up.

3 Likes

A better question is, why wouldnā€™t you? :grinning:

Ever even talked to one? If not, you have no idea what you are missing out on, let me tell you. Why, I remember one time, it was roughly two years, ten months, eight days, seventeen hours, twenty eight minutes and four, no fiveā€¦ roughly ten seconds ago, when I wasā€¦

[ fade out in the middle just like all those jokes in films and shows where you wanted to hear the rest but never shall ] :expressionless:

4 Likes

I had to look up what a dentil was.

dentil noun denĀ·til \Ėˆden-təl, -ĖŒtil
one of a series of small projecting rectangular blocks forming a molding especially under a cornice

Never occurred to me to dance with one.

3 Likes

See! Games are educational! Now go break some bones of those thugs andā€¦ Oh right, I need to update the game first, oops. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

If you donā€™t tell me the story I will find you and I willā€¦ Politely ask you to lunch and ask for that story as we share anecdotes about experiences in our life.

4 Likes

Oh noes, lunch and anecdotes! Iā€™ll talk, Iā€™ll talk! :fearful:

ā€¦over lunch, of course. :yum:

2 Likes

Some feedback and thoughts:

1. Batman: The Movie will turn 50 years old this year, and its jokes are still being repeated and referenced today. Your Batman spoof is not now, nor will it ever be, as funny as Batman already is. Youā€™re trying to knock out Muhammad Ali. If I were doing a game like this, I would focus on making it fun, not funny. Itā€™s fun to be caped comic book hero, and if you write a story that acknowledges the inherent silliness of it all, humor will naturally arise. Peppering the narration with jokes risks distracting from the crime-fighting action.

2. Your English is excellent. I never would have suspected that you were not fluent.

3. I love that each persona I can choose for my superhero ego comes with its own customized array of vehicle choices.

4. This game might benefit from a bit more focus. As it is, the humor is somewhat miscellaneous. Why are caped crusaders so ridiculous? Figure out your answer to that, and you can probably get more mileage out of this premise.

On that last point, I like Noah Berlatskyā€™s take on Batman from a couple of years ago:

Under the guise of gritty realism, Nolan and Miller give us a cheerful, libertarian, cowboy power fantasy ā€” billionaire savior as Bernhard Goetz. The ā€˜60s television Batman, on the other hand, presented fantastically wealthy would-be do-gooders as helplessly square busybodies, fighting crime less out of sober obsession than as a kind of decadent game of dress-up. When those stately Wayne bookcases slid back to reveal the Batpoles, you got the sense that crimefighting and/or the entire society in which crime occurred was a kind of amusement park for the obscenely rich.
[ā€¦]
Trust me, Adam West assures us, and I will pretend to save you. Thus we have the conclusion of Batman: The Movie from 1966, in which Adam West in the batsuit accidentally swaps all the brains of the members of the UN Security Council one with the other. Having completely screwed everything up, he quietly declares victory and leaves ā€” which is a much more insightful take on American imperial adventures than anything youā€™re likely to find in Iron Man.

1. There are three men in a boat with four cigarettes and no matches. How do they manage to smoke?
1 Like
  1. Is the game is not fun to play for you? If so, what would make it fun? Peppering it with jokes, I fear, is the way I write and what action there will be, it will be not only light but quite light-hearted too. Crime-fighting is not really the focus of this, more a backdrop, much like Goddam Metropolis. :blush:

2. Thank you. I was not born into it as a native speaker, so I sadly lack the deeper grasp bestowed with that - so many nuances will for ever be beyond me - but I did grow up reading and writing it. Mostly I end up butcher plurals and pull out sentence structures from places best not named, such as hats. :pensive:

3. Glad you like that choice, I actually found myself having to hold back. Same with variants of your crime-fighting persona. It will become clearer as you play, indubitably. :grin:

4. The focus is your character, really. It may become clearer with the next act, possibly. Overall, it will not even be a mile long, so mileage is not that crucial - rather, amusing the player is. My aim is not to provide any new insights or brood over the universe, try to emulate one Batman or another or even be overly coherent - apart from within its own little world. But in the end, to make you laugh or at least feel a twinge around the corners of your mouth (preferable upward). If it is forgotten five minutes later matters not to me, for sometimes a chuckle can transform your day. :slightly_smiling:

5. Ah, I see the smoking gun there. Although I have this sinking feeling those cigarettes went out with the rising tide since the boat literally pulled the figurative plug on itself. :neutral_face:

Oh, forgot to say thanks for the feedback. :blush:

Ready? All right. Thanks for the feedback. :grin: There, I gone and done it now. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

This sounds fun! Batman really needs a goofier take on him lol.

1 Like

7 Likes

That is one archetype in my game, yes. :wink:

1 Like

I like it seem interesting so far keep up the good work

1 Like

Will do, thanks. :blush:

Hopefully I will get stuff together soon for an update, biggest obstacle is getting things together in code, all those (and itā€™s a simple game!) variables! :sweat_smile:

Flowcharts and notes on paper, I need to get better organised. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Reading through this again is just as funny as it was initially. :smiley: I want to choose every option just so I donā€™t miss any of the jokes! If I do, would you want a list of any typos, or whatnot, that I find? Or are you just focusing on getting the game written, at this point?