"The Gray Painter" discussion (spoilers galore!)

At Gabrielle’s party, should you engage in some hanky-panky with someone other than Harper, Gabrielle will want to show you something the next morning. In that scene, she will admit to you that she can make you just like her, although it isn’t explain how exactly she does it. As for France, I believe those memories simply belongs to the Skinwalker, before it even got hold of Gabrielle.

I get the impression that Gabrielle doesn’t like hanky-panky. According to her, it threatens group cohesion.

That explains why I never saw the scene, I never engaged in extra marital hanky panky and I just ended up being a gray painter.

Regarding the memories of France, that’s what I meant, it’s either Ash’s skinwalker memories or Gabrielle’s skinwalker memories (I would like to think that his name is Gary). And if Ash is not a separate gray painter, it means that you play as Gary all along and Ash absorbing Gary’s memories is inevitable (at least that’s how I see it in light of the new info).

I have no idea, but if you behave yourself at the party, keep the group together and don’t admit to Gabrielle that you know what she did to Blane, you actually get to stay human. That being said, I’m pretty confused myself. I never even heard the name Gary for example.

I just made up the name Gary to easier reference the gray painter, “Gary the painter” :v

3 Likes

I also get the impression that the term grey painter doesn’t necessarily refer to a skinwalker. My theory is that sometimes, some people just have the ability to paint good enough, leaving subtle traces of the true monster Hidden in their paintings. Gabrielle makes use of these subtle traces in order to restore herself. So, in short I believe that a grey painter is simply someone with that ability. Now sometimes, she just happens to stumble upon someone Who can paint better. In that case, she either gets bored of the current person who has a contract with her, or it can even be that because of the new obsession, her current painter’s ability is no longer good enough. Then it is time to get rid of them the old-fashioned way and find a new one. That’s how I have it.

3 Likes

hey guys I’ve been playing several times and so far I haven’t managed to make Harper not break up with Ash, Can we keep Harper until the end? is that possible? If yes, how is this result achieved?

1 Like

Oh its not that difficult, really… I got Harper to not break up with Ash by just… making things with her? I dunno I just chose the options that helps the relationship and in THE CHOICE I said we can work things out… and we did! I think that staying with her is some kind of “good” choice because she actually tries to change and thats so sweet of her

4 Likes

When having the fall out, just don’t spend all options on them. Just chew them out on their crappy parking. Then you can select that you’re not happy, but wish to make it work.

4 Likes

Got it, thanks a lot for the explanation.

1 Like

Oh wow, I didn’t even know it was possible to stay human in this game. Thought becoming a gray painter was inevitable. Is it possible to stay human AND stay with Harper?

Yes it’s possible. Just behave yourself at the party and don’t confront Gabrielle on what she did to Blane. Sadly though, you don’t get to have a last battle when you stay human.

For some reason I can’t seem to romance marilyn no matter what I do, MC always denies attraction when she asks him at the gallery, am I the only one?

As far as I know, you can only hook up with her at Gabrielle’s party, but you also need to get rid of Harper first.

As a sufferer of anxiety disorders, I wound up identifying with both Ash and Harper and really got into the game from that aspect. I also found the fact that when I did a Google search on the author that he was the protagonist of “Death of a Salesman”. At least according to Google he is. That also makes him considerably older than he seems to be based on the game. I probably should put this down to down to how Google functions as a search engine; however, I prefer to think that the game was written by a fictional person.

I’d give more feedback, but my depression, worsened by current events, and the fact that both tablet computer AND my desktop computer have both been giving me trouble! (Well, the tablet finally quit recharging altogether.) Both are to be replaced soon, meaning I will need to figure out how to transfer games across platforms. Plus, wi-fi is spotty at best around here-- THANK you folks keeping government from doing annoying things like making it available everywhere! (And then there is the health care industry…)

Thank you for an interesting game! We will see if I have any comments after sorting out my (current) hardware troubles, assuming something along the lines of civilization collapsing doesn’t happen first.

2 Likes

It’s been a rollercoaster. First, I want to rave about Harper. They are so precious :pleading_face: I’ve never felt so strongly for a character before! They feel so real to me. The relationship started with so many wrongs I thought it wasn’t going to work out in the end. And for my first playthrough, it didn’t.

But even after things ended, they had hope and it seemed like they still wanted to make things work. Stayed with them next playthrough and it’s 10000% worth it.

They’ve really tried their best to make things work bc they’re genuinely in love. And that’s why I hate (and love) the true ending

It was beautifully written. Something about a being damned to an eternity of killing, feeding, and wearing people’s skin sounds… well damning, for a lack of a better term. And if that wasn’t bad enough, Harper died in your arms (idk yet if they’re always meant to die in the true ending but shit. it made me cry)

That’s it. Sorry for the essay!

3 Likes

No they don’t have to die.

1 Like

If you don’t make a mistake, you can definitely save Harper. Sketch the original Gabrielle instead of the grey painter or the monster with Gab’s skin.
I also did the same mistake, and Harper ended up dying in the true ending. Obviously it broke my heart so I played again and saved Harper.

3 Likes

Really?? That’s a relief😭 Thank u so much for the tip!

3 Likes

I have noticed a couple odd things during my play throughs: Marylin tends to show up at the second party despite being dead, if I get my confidence up high enough to model early, I get to model for the first time multiple times for that game. I haven’t figured out if anything is effected by making different decisions during the second first time modelling.

As for semi-relevant comments… but in real life I don’t like licorice, or Eminem!