The Golden Rose: Book One by Ana Ventura

There is not! I don’t like checks based on personality stats, I don’t think people are one-dimensional and can only behave in one way with everyone they meet and in every circumstance, no matter how dire or unusual it may be. We’re not. We’re human.

So, the personality stats are there, mostly, for the reader to keep track, in a very simplified way, of how their character tends to behave. It’s kind of a tracking scale for you and little else. I do want to start making other NPCs react differently based on your dominant stat from Book 2 onward like it happens in Wayhaven (and yes, I do need to go snoop in the author’s code to learn how she does it xD) because, by Book 2, I think there’s been enough time to develop your MC.

But, apart from flavor text, personality stats won’t affect the game. And they won’t mingle with the skill checks.

No temper tantrum will change the fact, but I’ll say that the attempt was very amusing :joy:

It’s honestly incredibly flattering (if slightly concerning) that anyone has a soft spot for Aurelius :yum:

35 Likes

I was just wondering how does one go about increasing the loner stat? I’ve insulted both alessa and hadrian and I’ve been basically an all-around jerk to everybody and it’s dropped down to a 57?

Loner stat isn’t about being a jerk, it’s about not working with others. Pick options that say you want to be alone, and that you don’t like crowds or a lot of noise.

20 Likes

To be honest if he didn’t almost succeed at the whole murder thing I’d be compelled to put him in as a comically ineffectual type, which are often well received. You know, like your own personal Team Rocket. But as is, no regrets.

5 Likes

True, Aurelius was so transparent it almost made him sympathetic. I wouldn’t mind if he stuck around as a minor villain.
Oh well, the ball will be crammed with Aureliuses.

8 Likes

I hope the cat will be back in book 2, I’ll trade Billy for her anyday.

9 Likes

It’s not only about losing, it’s about how barely you win or get almost killed doing so.

Summary

You can’t even catch the fake eye, who supernaturally avoids your weapon. You piss your pants with the former inquisitor. (and I got the “respect” achievement there still). A random guard almost stabs you through in a alleyway. You barely beat two guards WITH the help of Alesia while escaping the ministry, honestly Alesia seems more proficient at combat which makes zero sense considering I’m putting it all in combat. Also I’m using a sword which is the best weapon in close quarters from the lot you can choose. It’s a bit mind blowing a few of the random guards in a city that doesn’t see any action at all are somehow a big obstacle.

1 Like

That makes sense seeing as how I chose options about him being ok about the city and stuff like that :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

These are my stats and I don’t remember struggling in any fight. Captain Cynthia saved the guard in the alley in my playthrough (else she would have been murdered :slightly_smiling_face:) and I actually did the rescuing of Alessa by tossing my sword at the guard behind her so maybe your MC isn’t as combat inclined as you believe?

3 Likes

Funny, I was able to do the same, and my combat is 31%

2 Likes

I’ve seen people talk about Goliath and it makes me really regret skipping a fight on the arena, I was confused at first who that was. At that time I thought why would I ever want to fight that huge man at the arena? Although an arena or fighting is an immediate no for me, I didn’t know he could be sweet and ‘gentleman’ about it. I love little interactions like this, even if he is not a romancable character.
I might replay later just to get to that scene again

14 Likes

Is it possible to have the highest platonic relationship with both alessa and hadrian in the same playthrough?

6 Likes

Of course! Or, at least, I think so. They often have opposing views on things, so, for example, if you’re kind to Rafael it usually means a slight decrease in Alessa’s relationship and an increase in Hadrian’s, but these numbers are negligible.

What really determines your relationship will be important actions and decisions. You can definitely be friends with both of them.

My advice would be to talk with one at the tomb, then the other while you’re on the road. Don’t kill Garrett, of course :grin: and then visit both the Market and the Cathedral while you’re hunting Rafael.

You don’t need to agree with everything they say and believe in, but try to be respectful of their points of view — in Hadrian’s case, don’t belittle his faith, even if you’re a non-believer. In Alessa’s don’t call her ruthless and heartless, even if you think she may be too pragmatic.

That’s my general advice!

15 Likes

Thank you… will play it again and see if I can get closer to both of them… (though it always ends up with me romancing alessa or hadrian)… what can I say, they are irresistible.

6 Likes

Reading this while listening to Dorime looped, truly a magnificent experience.

4 Likes

Well a man can dream, I love the character but understandable, your writing is great and I’m glad I could entertain you a little after how much entertainment I’ve had reading your story.

8 Likes

Gosh darn it, I’m on my first playthrough and this is happening to me too. Definitely don’t wanna “cheat” on Hadrian, but I’m on the fence about whether it’s worth making another character just to see if the playboy can be convinced to change his ways… argh.

5 Likes

An earlier post said that lock-ins aren’t a thing in this series - I assume that means you’re not locked in technically, it’s purely an RP/choice thing. Dunno if that means there will be options to actually cheat (not looking for such options myself, but others might be interested).

3 Likes

I think most things in this IF are much less gamified and more up to the player’s choices. As far as Hadrian knows, you and he have shown blatant interest in one another and potentially started a relationship, but I think the game’s not going to prevent you from making choices that hurt him or are maybe even relationship-ending.
For my playthrough (because I’m in a similar Hadrian/Alain predicament😅) I’ve already had scenes where my character was thinking about Alain when with Hadrian and vice versa (a pleasant surprise, I’m glad the game acknowledges both relationship statuses and yes I felt horribly guilty aaaah I swear Alain is only for fun it didn’t mean anything😭).
So I guess you could say that there IS a lock-in, in the same way real relationships are “locked in” when both parties have made it clear that there’s romantic interest, and acting as though that’s not the case has potential consequences but that’s up to you.

7 Likes

I would never - Hadrian’s adorable - but the way I’ve played this MC, the sudden shower of romantic attention from multiple sides has been overwhelming and she’s still trying to figure these things called Feelings out. :smile: If I wanted to actually pursue Alain at all, I’d make a new MC. Still can’t decide if it would be worth it, though, he’s just not around enough.

5 Likes