“As the artist mourns his fortune
So the Dynasty falls to crumble,
And the two branches snatch asunder”
You are a recent member of The White Company, a mercenary guild on the far side of the law. Your job consists of hunting artifacts and roaming ruins that the Church has forbidden to mention. One of your expeditions, however, leads you down a path that is much deeper than you ever anticipated.
The Golden Rose: Book One is a thrilling 1.2-million-word interactive fantasy novel by Ana Ventura, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.
Juggle friendships, new alliances, and flames of romance in this epic adventure that will take you to a Europe where History took a different turn.
• Play as male or female; straight, gay, or bisexual.
• Find romance, friendship, or rivalry with a cast of colorful characters.
• Hunt down the thief that stole your forbidden maps!
• Fight against bandits and city guards while trying to stray away from the all-seeing Eyes of the Church.
• Explore ancient ruins and the cobble-stoned streets of the medieval city of Tarragona. Step into a grand cathedral, a sprawling market, a multicolored harbor, the dark gates of the city, or an aqueduct that no one dares to come close to.
• Bond with a stubborn old horse.
• Choose to ally with a street urchin or the feral captain of the Guard.
• Uncover what is true in a world where denial reigns supreme.
• Start to unravel your own mysterious past.
• Immerse yourself in a world rich with characters, story, and lore.
Do you believe in Destiny?
Game Patch Notes
June 24, 2022
- Fixed typos and grammatical mistakes.
- Fixed Alessa’s relationship page bug.
- Fixed the error where it wasn’t acknowledged the MC already knew of the Ministry Building in the Market and the Cathedral paths.
- Fixed Juturna’s coin continuity errors.
- Fixed the MC forgetting Aurelius’ name at the Gates.
- Fixed the MC not remembering seeing Neia’s initial at the Gates.
- Fixed Hadrian’s cross being silver in Chapter One.
- Fixed the siren continuity error.
- Changed the description of Lance’s coin box at the square.
- Added Lance’s crossbow.
- Tweaked the Devil’s guardian dialogue to make it clearer what she means when she calls you “one of us.”
- Added a small exposition about Latin in Chapter 1.
- Changed the description of the Devil’s Bridge in Chapter 3.
- Added the Pirate to the relationship panel.
- Adjusted Hadrian and Alessa’s relationship descriptors.
- If the MC has high enough Combat, they’re now able to hurt the Theers’ spy in Chapter 7.
- Added the option to be grateful to Salina for treating the scar.
- MC recalls seeing a certain white spotted horse before.
- If the MC has enough Lore, they recognize the word ‘Tablinum’.
- Added a different version of Lance’s conversation outside the Inn based on a past choice.
- Chouriça now reacts if you have high enough Corruption.
- Added the option to keep Aurelius’ cross without wearing it around your neck.
- Added the option to tell Hadrian he’s your first kiss.
- Added the option to tell Alessa she’s your first kiss.
- Put the ‘A Templar’s Heart’ and ‘The Flame Beneath the Ice’ achievements in their proper places.
- Added ‘A Sight from the Deep’ achievement.
- Added ‘Fearless’ achievement.
- Added ‘A New Champion’ achievement.
- Added ‘A Noble Parade’ achievement.
- Added ‘The Title before the Name’ achievement.
- Added ‘Gold Handkerchief’ achievement.
- Added ‘Green Handkerchief’ achievement.
- Added ‘A Promise of a Date’ achievement.
- Added ‘You’d Rather Not’ achievement.
- Added ‘A Sweet Treat’ achievement.
- Added ‘It Grew’ achievement.
- Added ‘Record Keeper’ achievement.
- Added ‘Human After All’ achievement.
- Added ‘Head in the Clouds’ achievement.
- Added ‘A Sparrow Soaring Too High’ achievement.
- Added ‘A Tight-Lipped Confession’ achievement.
- Added ‘Through the Haze of Embarrassment’ achievement.
- Added ‘The Noose Tightens’ achievement.
- Added ‘Ancient Word’ achievement.
- Added ‘A Bit of History’ achievement.
- Added ‘A Tight-knit Group’ achievement.
- Added ‘No Point in Clustering’ achievement.
July 10, 2022
- Typo and grammar errors clearing.
- Adjusted the inn conversation in Chapter 6.
- Neia now specifies which hand Romanus has a mark on.
Romance Options for the Series
- Hadrian — Bisexual
- Alessa — Bisexual
- Alain — Bisexual
- Ysabella — Bisexual
- The Pirate King — Straight
- Neia — Lesbian
- Lance — Bisexual
- Rafael — Bisexual
Check the amazing Achievement Guide made by Nell!
My name is Ana Ventura (aka Anathema) and I’m trying my hand at this crazy ride we like to call Interactive Fiction.
There is too many wonderful fanart to post here! Here is a link to the fanart tag on my Tumblr.