The Golden Rose: Book One by Ana Ventura

Yes because the demo is smaller.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s where the newest demo ends

1 Like

It’s been a month since I announced I’m doing a deep edit of the entire game before submitting it to Hosted Games, so I thought I’d give a quick update on my progress.

I’ve gone through 14 out of the 23 files that make up the game! And I’m about halfway to finish editing the 15th. The whole process is time-consuming and tiring, but at the same time it’s so incredibly worth it! And my God, is it necessary.

I’ve been finding so many little errors, it’s incredible. From little things like double spaces, paragraphs sticking together, and forgotten quotation marks to errors that would hide lines of text and even two continuity errors. There was a small set of choices completely hidden and one GIANT mistake where I set a condition as true in the wrong place - which would make some players’ choices not count.

And, of course, just the writing in general. Since I posted the new demo I’ve shaved off about 4 thousand unnecessary words from the game. Dialogues and descriptions are, in my humble opinion, so much smoother now. Sometimes, when you’re writing different versions of the same scene, you forget that you’ve used an expression, or a particular body language, or even a scenery description in one of the versions, and so when you move along, you can unintentionally get repetitive. But when you’re reading everything in one go, it’s easy to catch these problems.

Not to mention the typos! There was a set of choices where I wrote heart instead of hearth the whole time! “The heart burns in the corner, its glow bathing her in a soft orange hue.” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I won’t give a date for when I’ll be done with the edits, but I do have a specific goal in mind. And it’s close, and I’m getting so nervous about the submission but excited too!!! I also dealt with a coding issue I was having regarding Quicktest, so now the game truly fits the three requirements for publication.

I only need to finish this! Some evil part of me whispers that I should just go ahead and submit it. A dark little traitorous voice that seems to live at the back of my head, but I won’t heed it! I’m so close now.

I hope you have a great week! :rose:

138 Likes

May the force be with you young jedi author

21 Likes

@Anathema congrats on the progress I look forward to when it comes out. :smiley: Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

tenor

10 Likes

It’s more romantic like that. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

15 Likes

Oi @Anathema what would be the approximate wordcount of the complete book?

1 Like

Right now, the game stands at 1216072 words without code, but I’ll probably shed at least another 2k before I’m done editing.

53 Likes

1.2 million words… Damn

29 Likes

My goodness, I can’t imagine the stress there.

15 Likes

Woa thats massive

3 Likes

More than 1.2 million?
tenor
Impressive. Now you’re in a very esteemed company with Gower, AllenGies and Cataphrak.

22 Likes

This is you.

41 Likes

I’m in desperate need for this kind of energy to write my damn thesis omfg.
Anyway, good luck! I hope the process of editing goes smoothly!!

8 Likes

Submitted The Golden Rose

tumblr_3674b15858e1f93d6f5b440c15f0e9f7_c97eb486_500

It is done. The edits are finished, the email is sent, and this project, this passion, this behemoth of an undertaking is thus completed.

I can still barely believe it.

I know there’s still road to walk before publication, but right now, I feel like it’s out of my hands. The Rose has gained wings, and it flies away from me. And I cannot wait until it’s there for you all to see.

I want to thank everyone who walked with me along this journey, either from the very beginning, when we were all still starry-eyed travelers and had no idea how many miles stretched before us. Or those who joined recently, lending me your enthusiasm, making me strengthen my weary spirit.

I know it sounds so cheap and cliche, but I could never have done this without all your support. I mean it. Writing can often be so very lonely, so all the likes and comments, all the support that this forum has given me throughout the process have been mind-blowing.

So, thank you. Thank you so very much.

I’ll have a few moments of rest in the shade, allow my blistering feet to heal for a bit. Maybe listen to the wind rustling the tree leaves, and feel its touch on my heated skin. I’ll allow myself to close my eyes and watch the sunlight through the thin layer of my eyelids. I’ll rest this burden for a while. Just a little while.

Because I’ve been dreaming of Book 2, and I feel its pull. So I’ll take a rest. I’ll take a respite. Before straightening up and continue on that road that goes forever forward, chasing the impossible line of the horizon.

Have a great weekend everyone! :rose:

320 Likes

Congratulation! It’s such a major step forward!
I can’t wait for it to be released and finally play the full version!

18 Likes

Took 3 long years for complete this proyect which you putility your heart on it, it’s very admirable your determination and love you put into it, my most sincere respects, I will wait for your story to be release in the near future, congratulations.

12 Likes

Omg! CONGRATULATIONS!!! When its out i will not doubt to buy it :scream: can’t wait to play it

:heart:

31 Likes

I GOT AN ACCOUNT FOR THIS!!! this is such a huge accomplishment I cant wait to read the whole thing, congrats!!!

19 Likes