"The Ghost and the Golem" Demo Available Now!

Originally published at: “The Ghost and the Golem” Demo Available Now! - Choice of Games LLC

We’re excited to announce that The Ghost and the Golem is releasing this Thursday, August 8th!
You can play the first three chapters for free today!

And don’t forget to wishlist it on Steam!

31 Likes

And check out the trailer here!

15 Likes

So great this is coming out :grinning:. It doesn’t feel so long ago that the Beta started and now there’s already the demo.
I got the impression it is doing something fresh and as there has been some discussion about branching out setting and story wise, maybe chances are that G&G has an audience just waiting for it.

1 Like

I am so ridiculously happy that the time has almost come for this game to be out in the world.

I have broad tastes - I’ve enjoyed most of the ChoiceScript games I’ve played, and the ones I’ve devoted time to as a tester all have special places in my heart. But I don’t think I’ve ever found myself thinking “This is a new favorite” as quickly as I did the first time I read The Ghost and the Golem. There’s nothing about it that isn’t amazingly well done: the narrative voice (easily the best I’ve seen in any CS game), the meticulous attention to history, a cast of characters brought to life with brushstrokes of humor and warmth, scenes that still made me laugh out loud after I’d read them a dozen times, and a genuinely entertaining story with so much going on that I was still discovering new twists and turns well after I’d finally managed not to burst out laughing at that one line in Chapter 6.

I’m so excited for Thursday. Not only because I’m thrilled to add this game to my personal collection, but because I can’t wait to see what all of you think and to join in the discussions here. I hope you’ll find it as spellbindingly delightful as I have.

13 Likes

When you see your city of birth mentioned in IF game

crying-from-happiness

I guess I just have to play it now :thinking: :joy:

7 Likes

Looking forward to it!

2 Likes

I just checked - this has been on my Steam wishlist since March of 2023. I’m excited for Thursday!

1 Like

I found out about this one via a gamebooks blog. After all these years, it’s going gold! Here we go!

This is so great!! Can’t wait for it to come out

A post was merged into an existing topic: Politics Thread (Part 4)

So you beta tested this? I found the narration a bit overbearing, does it ever let up?

What do you mean?

Aahh this was definitely one of the most hype IFs on the schedule for me. Can’t wait to check it out!

All the heavy handed endearments just…no. shaking head No. I am not “your dear.” Even as a child that sort of thing felt overly falsely close and patronising. It drags me right out of the story and makes me want to hurt someone.

2 Likes

This game might not be to your taste, then.

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate. I was really looking forward to this one.

1 Like

ooh here it is! Time to try and figure out how the mystical stuff works without getting killed by a demon

I was one of the beta testers for this game. After the game comes out if you need some help or hints on how to avoid becoming demon-chow let me know

I really enjoyed beta testing this game. It reminded me a bit of the book “Yentl the Yeshiva Boy” by Isaac Beshiva Singer, which I have read half a dozen times.
I am also not Jewish so it was interesting to learn about the history and I learned a few new Yiddish words.

2 Likes

The trailer looks incredibly cool! Been pondering for some time now on how to promote cog games in video format, and this seems very promising :slight_smile:

Anne, you might try playing it at Yiddish level 2 (“give me some hints”), in which case the narrator will call you “my dear bubbeleh” a couple of times and then just start calling you “bubbeleh,” which might feel a little less cloying than “my dear”!

3 Likes