The Fraternal Society of the Feline (Demo)

Ya - this is both a game and a story, so sometimes the expectations of both make this format confusing.

There are shorter word count games that have done good. So, You’re Possessed by @MizArtist33 is 50,000 and is well liked by many people. Yet, I think they are tripling the word-count on their sequel - so maybe Beth can comment on this.

I know that every published author commenting here so far has experienced the wrath of people reviewing their works with unfair “this is too short” reviews so there will always be some of those. Yet, you really do attract people’s loyalty by writing longer stories.

I think @Samuel_H_Young has 150,000 words in his second story of his “Fortune” trilogy

The words per page is a grey area because people use different devises to read your game on. An IPhone 6 has a larger screen then an IPhone 5 and unless you are consciously aware of how your story formats on the different devises then you run into unforced errors.

@RETowers should have some set guidelines that she will communicate to you upon receiving your submission - at this point with new phones, tablets and monitors hitting the market daily, it is more of a gut instinct thing then anything imo.

I have a link in my icon thingy (click on my portrait)

Master List Link Fotr Beginners this has the guidelines and blog that goes into more details as well as some wonderful tutorials and a recommended hosting site for those that need it.

I also know CoG is in the process of redefining some of these because of the changing market.

Two Thoughts Here:

1: You seemed to be targeting the teen and twenty-something market with your story - there is a need for more stories that do so but they are harder to pull off because the game aspects are structured for adults or those mature enough to handle adult themes. So I’d encourage you to continue your efforts.

2: You already have a great start, a core to build from. You are ahead of me and others - so don’t get too discouraged.

The development model often used here is the arm-finger analogy with the main core having up to five branches that all wrap around back into the arm later. the original choice stories from the 90’s were on a singular success + dead ends model, just need to change some of those dead-ends into true paths and you should be ok.

For example - the Spinx at the bottom of the trap can open a whole chapter or two of choices by itself … cats in Egypt, etc … just a thought.

tldr: If you posses the will to continue forward, I would advise doing so. You possess a complete core, a developed idea and a writing style unique to the story already. That is a big chunk of the process right there.

3 Likes