The Fernweh Saga (Scheduled Release: 5 January!) [Book One is 600k]

Thank you for such detailed answer! Can’t wait to play more.

1 Like

Ah, I see. That does appeal for more playthroughs if I don’t get it done on the first try provided I’m going for romance with R.

Wow that sounds amazing. That really brings up so many avenues. Rather than just going for a response which fits our whim at that moment we have to actually provide time, care and consideration into our choices which is how it should be!

I wish you all the very best with these future developments. Keep up the good work :beers:

2 Likes

Weekly Update: 4 June 2021

(Except I forgot to post it here on the same day, lol. :confused: So it is now the 6th of June.)

Hello! I hope you’re doing well and staying safe.

I ‘launched’ or released the initial demo of Fernweh Saga on 1 June 2021.

The masterpost with the demo link is here: (The Fernweh Saga IF) in case you’ve not seen it.

I’m so grateful for the support and interest you all have shown in the form of asks, thoughtful comments on this thread, likes on the forum, likes/reblogs on Tumblr, and everything else. :green_heart: I would also encourage you all to check out my Tumblr and the RO reactions tag, if you want some character interactions with the MC. I’ve done quite a few of them (got carried away on some of them. :heart_eyes: )

> Here is a more specific update regarding what I have been doing:

- I’ve been answering/queuing a lot of great/fun/thoughtful asks. If you’ve not seen yours yet, please know that it will be answered soon or it may even be in the queue. Feel free to send more in. I love hearing from you all. :smiley:

- I’ve been reading back through Chapter 4 for edits; it is about 36k words.

- This chapter has a lot of character interaction that allows for the personalities of the ROs to shine through, even when speaking with each other . My hope is to make them feel real , so they will have their own comments/quips/etc. with each other without direct interaction with the MC. Some of the conversations were amusing to write before the mystery factor starts to creep. It’s up for you to decide what is and what isn’t’ a ‘clue’ and what they may mean. :eyes:

- I plan to continue with Chapter 4 edits and then get back to wrapping up Chapter 5.

• I’ll be releasing teasers, code snippets, and maybe an aesthetic closer to the update release, which is set for 15 July 2021. It could be earlier.
  • At this point, I can say the initial read through is done, but I like to go through chapters a few times.

An emphatic thank you to you all for the support and kindness. :green_heart: Best wishes!

30 Likes

Same to you. Thanks for an update!

2 Likes

Omg I love this so far, I honestly love the JR poly route but I love all the ROs equally akdjsk.
Ehh means more replay time for me lol

I don’t really have a tumblr to ask these JR questions but

so this would be everyone dating each other poly situation? Or just them just dating the MC and not each other?
Did J and R date in the past?? Cuz I’m feeling those vibes lol
Or is it the same childhood rivial tension like with the MC?
or is that spoiler territory lol

5 Likes

@Netherate Hey There! Thank you for playing the demo and I’m glad you’re enjoying it so far. :smiley:
I’m also happy you find it hard to pick a RO. I think playing multiple routes will be fun/rewarding because the pacing and level of angst/fluff/softness/etc. differs from time to time, plus you learn some different things.

No worries! I’m happy to answer questions on here too, but I will link you a Tumblr post that goes into a bit more detail and is tagged with the ‘JR tag’. You may be interested in some of the scenarios/snippets I’ve written for them under that tag. :slightly_smiling_face: Link: here.

You’re exactly right; everyone will be dating each other in the JR route. You will be dating both of them eventually and concurrently. There is no ‘sharing’ of the MC or the MC dating both and them not also being comfortable with each other. I will strive for a mutual and healthy poly relationship, though this dynamic tends to have a slower burn due to plot reasons.

Oh, that is getting into spoiler territory, but I will say you’re on the right track with noticing a unique vibe between J and R. :eyes: There is an if-statement in Chapter 4 that gives another hint, but I can’t say for sure; however, I’m so glad you picked up on that!

Hope you have a lovely day/night. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

I am so excited to see more of this one. :smiley:

2 Likes

@Neneka Hi! Thank you. I’m glad to hear that. :slightly_smiling_face: Chapter 4 is mostly written aside from edits/stat balancing, while I’m trying to wrap up Chapter 5. We learn more about the mystery next chapter, though it may raise more questions than answers. :eyes: Best wishes!

11 Likes

Weekly Update: 11 June 2021

Hello! I hope you’re doing well and staying safe. :green_heart:

If you’ve not seen the announcement post about the earlier update for the demo and the details of a short story raffle, please check this post: HERE .

Essentially, the Chapter 4 update will be released a week earlier due to your support. Reblogging the masterpost enters you into a chance to receive a tailored short story. The masterpost with the demo link is: HERE.

- I’ve been answering/queuing asks on Tumblr and answering the occasional question on here too. :smiley:

- I altered some coding to Chapter 4. You can see a more detailed example of this alongside a code teaser below the hide details arrow.

- People who played Dragon Age: Inquisition may be familiar with the party banter system that would ping in different areas of the map, which is how I initially had some of the conversations set within the cabin. I realized that most readers would likely not realize that there are 3-4 alternate scenes for each room unless happening to get them on a second playthrough.

- I changed the if-statements to choices, which adds 9 new choices with 3-4 options each that will display unique conversations about and interactions with the surroundings. This will make the cabin exploration fresh for each MC. You can have a mostly new experience each time. :smiley:

- I am still editing Chapter 4, but got back to working on Chapter 5.

- S’s route in Chapter 5 is done. I am in the middle of J’s route and I am about to write some action and then the romance choices that tend to be long with how I write romance.

• I’ll be releasing teasers, code snippets, and maybe an aesthetic closer to the update release, which is now set for 8 July 2021 .

An emphatic thank you to you all for the support and kindness. :green_heart: Best wishes!

Cabin Exploration Explanation

Previously, I wanted to add some randomness by calling on earlier variables like how your MC felt about the memorium or what you decided to do with your candle. I think most readers don’t look at the code? So, that means you would likely assume that is just how the story was written (e.g. this happens in the kitchen and then something else happens in the living room, etc).

Now, I made these scenes into choices in the narrative so you can decide what happens in a room between the characters. I ended up writing 16 unique character exchanges/scenes alongside the typical MC choices/if statements, so this will now make you aware of them. :smiley:

I want the cabin exploration to feel dynamic and to be a fun way to learn more about the characters’ personalities and maybe even some hints about the mysteries of Fernweh. :eyes:

For instance, in the kitchen you can now talk to B about a cookie jar or watch R bother J with the fridge (alongside 2 other mystery options that I won’t spoil) as opposed to defaulting to a specific scene based on a previous choice.

I’m actually really excited about this change! There are now more choices and incentives for replaying the chapter, since I hope the other options will make you curious too.

Thanks for reading this extra ramble, lol. :green_heart:

@alliebee Hi! I also wanted to mention that I went in and added more save slots so there are now 6. :slightly_smiling_face:

32 Likes

That’s something new and original indeed. Good idea!

1 Like

This is sooooooo good. I love it a lot.

1 Like

@Sheaon13 Hi! Aw, thank you for saying so. :smiley: I’m glad you’re enjoying it and am excited for you to read the next update too; there will be some more RO interaction within it alongside the mystery.

10 Likes

Weekly Update: 18 June 2021

I hope you’re doing well and staying safe.:green_heart:

The following for Fernweh Saga and the blog has increased over the last week, so ‘hello’ to all of you and thanks for your support! :blush:

If you’ve not seen the announcement post about the earlier update for the demo and the details of a short story raffle, please check this post: HERE .

The masterpost with the demo link is: HERE .

I will be closing the raffle out on June 23rd and plan to announce the two winners in next week’s weekly update (25th).

- I’ve been answering/queuing asks on Tumblr and responding to the occasional comment on here. I am always happy to answer what I can that is not too spoilery, so please feel free to ask me things. :smiley:

- I paused in editing Chapter 4 to work more on Chapter 5.

- J’s route in Chapter 5 is all finished and I am close to finishing JR’s route.

- Chapter 5 has grown into a bit of a mammoth at 53k words excluding code. This count is also without me including all of JR’s route, getting the MC out of where they are, talking to the Police Chief, possibly encountering A , and then a revelation. It’s long due to the level of variation and responses, which hopefully means you all enjoy replaying it. I think of it as a super extended RO moment with plot.

- I will likely need to work on splitting Chapter 5 or halting it around 60k, so it doesn’t take too long to load. I am more focused on writing it all out now. :smiley:

- I have been slowly but surely finding songs for playlists that I will probably release once a week with themed aesthetics until all the routes (and possibly A and the ???) are covered. I will probably do a collection on Youtube since I don’t know how Spotify works…? >.> Or if there is a distinct benefit to one over the other. You all can let me know, if you have an opinion on which is more user friendly. I think there may be more variety on YT.

- I’ll be releasing teasers, code snippets, and maybe an aesthetic closer to the update release, which is now set for 8 July 2021 .

- There is a tiny code teaser for Chapter 4 below the summary tab

An emphatic thank you for all your support and kindness. :green_heart: Best wishes!

Tiny Code Teaser for Chapter 4

…What could make a cabin in the middle of the woods more creepy??? :eyes:

32 Likes

Weekly Update: 25 June 2021

I hope you’re doing well and staying safe.:green_heart:

The following for Fernweh Saga and the blog has increased over the last week, so ‘hello’ to all of you and thanks for your support! :blush:

- I’ve been answering/queuing asks on Tumblr and keeping an eye out for any asks on here too. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I will answer what I can that is not too spoilery. :smiley:

- I finished Chapter 5. It is 70k words with a lot of variation within it based on your choices. I am starting the process of the initial edit, which will take me quite some time since I edit in 3 to 4 stages and I tend to read slowly. I plan to read through it at least once before going back to writing on Chapter 6. I’ve decided when y’all will get to meet A (J’s sibling) alongside some other things that I am excited to write about.

- I am going to try and have R ’s playlist out by tonight. I have the songs and need to finish the graphic and put together the playlist. If I finish it in time, I’ll edit in the link to it into this post. The link to R’s playlist is: here and the accompanying aesthetic can be found on my Tumblr.

- I’ll be releasing teasers, code snippets, and maybe an aesthetic closer to the update release, which is set for 8 July 2021.

An emphatic thank you for all your support and kindness. :green_heart: Best wishes!

38 Likes

Oh i love love love this!!! I was like nooo i love both J and R what do i doooo and then, POLY ROUTE BABIEEEEEE. I legit got so happy about that!!:joy::joy: Absolutely love where this whole thing is going, keep up the awesome work!

1 Like

@CynicalCream Hi! I hope you’re doing well. I’m so glad you’re loving the story. :smiley: The JR poly route is something I am really enjoying writing and wanted to include because of J’s and R’s interactions. Their personalities can both clash and complement each other in unique ways–you will see some of this next chapter. Thank you for your kind encouragement! :green_heart:

9 Likes

Honestly I’m loving that I can romance both of them because I usually go for either the nerd cough J cough or the flirt aka R. So I’m very happy for the poly here.

2 Likes

@Sheaon13 Hi! Lol, this is maybe the second time I’ve seen that J may give off some nerd vibes. :smiley: I’m glad that the poly option makes you happy; it will be an interesting route since it has a few unique subplots/interactions and the highest angst level (on average). Best wishes! :heart_eyes_cat:

4 Likes

Weekly Update: 2 July 2021

I hope you’re doing well and staying safe. We are about a week away from the next update. :sunglasses:

- I’ve been answering/queuing asks on Tumblr and replying to the occasional comment on here. I appreciate your patience and interest. :smiley:

- I am starting final edits and play testing on Chapter 4 to ensure it is all ready to be uploaded.

- I am going to have J’s playlist out by tonight. I have the songs and need to finish the graphic once I finalize the color scheme…Green/gray/blue??? I will add the link to this post: here.

-The word count for the new demo after the update will be: 119k words [Intro to Chap 4] and the total so far is: 189k words [Intro to Chap 5] (though Chapter 5 isn’t edited and I need to get to work on 6 after this update, lol.)

- I’ll be releasing teasers, code snippets, and maybe an aesthetic closer to the update release, which is set for 8 July 2021 . I’m tentatively thinking:

Monday (July 5th) : A chapter 4 quote from B and one from S in one post.
Tuesday (July 6th) : A chapter 4 quote from R and one from J in one post.
Wednesday (July 7th) : The Midnight (my cat) extended code teaser picture that may give some hints, if you can see around his fur in one post.
:sparkles:Thursday (July 8th) :sparkles:: Chapter 4 will be uploaded sometime on this day.

Given the relative quiet on this thread, I don’t want to risk these daily events being viewed as ‘bumping’ by mods since that would not be my intention at all…I will be posting these quotes/pics to my linked Tumblr and will try to do so here so long as I’m not double/triple/quadruple replying.

33 Likes

Thanks, can’t wait for an update!

3 Likes