The Choice of Games Community -- a joke I made on Reddit

It has a Choice of Games subreddit and a Hosted Games subreddit, thing is that almost everyone in there preffers Hosted Games stuff so it gets much more talked about than usual

2 Likes

As they should. The ability of the player to make choices aren’t as constrained by the creator having to make cutscenes, visual assets, voice lines, etc. like they are in “traditional” game formats, so when players get railroaded in a text-based gaming medium, it’s even more frustrating.

I understand that some form of story and some limitations have to be there to be a coherent game and it can’t all just be choices because then the author would have to basically write dozens of games at once. However, if it’s so railroady that choices basically don’t matter, then you might as well go read a book instead.

27 Likes

So funny to read all the comments, thanks for sharing

1 Like

It’s a separate sub for Choice of Games and another one for Hosted Games.

Because Sergi constantly mocks you for picking the “wrong” path and because he never shuts up about his sociopolitical views.

15 Likes

Indeed, an author putting their opinions and beliefs into their own creations is completely unacceptable!

5 Likes

That’s not the problem.
The problems are:

1. He keeps remind us every page (so far that HR book 4, the soft reboot, is also labeled “Propaganda: The Game” by detractors)
  2. His attitude “I’m a genius, everyone else don’t understand me; I’m right and everyone else is wrong”

Lets stop here before derail to another HR discussion.

16 Likes

Why did you start it then? :thinking:

Here’s the thing, and it’s not specific to any particular game or author, but just in general it is important to remember that any author’s game is, first and foremost, their own creation. That is especially true for ChoiceScript games as they are usually written and coded by just one person. As such, they are free to express their own opinions, beliefs, preferences, etc as much as they’d like. For a player to expect otherwise is, frankly, unrealistic and kinda arrogant.

1 Like

It would be acceptable yes, the diference is that the game mocks you for picking choices that Sergei doesn’t approve and in fact punishes you for that, so you more or less will always be forced into following his vision instead of your own (a common complaint is the Villain path, the game “allows” you to become a Villain but you get forced into becoming a hero anyway)

6 Likes

A game called Heroes Rise doesn’t let people become a villain?! How could this be? :pleading_face:

But seriously, it’s up to the author to decide what goes into their games and which paths are possible within them. Yes, technically speaking, ChoiceScript games are choice-driven, however it is still up to the author to decide what those choices are and what their consequences will be. And, personally, I don’t really get why anyone would want to be a villain in a superhero game, but that’s another topic entirely

It’s a bit like if you get invited into someone’s home and they tell you “to feel at home”. That doesn’t literally mean that their home becomes yours and you can do whatever you want in there.

4 Likes

To their credit, I enjoyed HR right up until the new series with the animal-powered mc.

It stopped feeling like preferred politics and veered straight into preaching in a way that pulled me out of being able to enjoy the game.

2 Likes

That’s interesting because for me it’s kind of the opposite. I like the Heroes Rise trilogy a lot, but I find it somewhat basic whereas the two Hero Project games are my favorite CoG games of all time.

I guess they have political messages in them, but I never viewed that as a bad thing as it’s similar to the X-Men where the whole concept of mutants is an allegory for discrimination.

I genuinely think that the Hero Project games are the most profound ChoiceScript games and deserve to be studied in classrooms alongside Shakespeare and other classics of literature. They inspired my own games and I do think they are the height of what ChoiceScript can achieve as a medium, to not just be a form of entertainment, but something that can genuinely move people.

Well, it really do be a Heroes Rise discussion thread at this point. I’m sure the mods will kick us out soon :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Nothing wrong with authors inserting their own beliefs, as long as it doesn’t get to the point if lecturing. But if you do start lecturing, don’t be surpised if people who paid money for it are annoyed at it, even if they agree with the beliefs.

11 Likes

It is th authors decision, to make the game as the author likes, but the reader/player hast a right to not like, what they get. When I am given the chance to do A or B and then when I chose B I get told the character did A instead, that might be OK once, but when that repeats more, well that is poor game design in my opinion.

I am not talking about HR because I never played it, but I thought The main argument, got lost in the specific example.

16 Likes

I really can’t think of any ChoiceSpript game I played where I felt the author was lecturing me, but perhaps they exist. Either way, the author has the right to put whatever they want in their games, including “lectures”.

I don’t think anyone here disagrees with the ability of the players to criticize any game they wish. However, if a particular critique is so devoid of logic that it becomes comical, I think it’s fair to point that out.

2 Likes

Ah good ol choice of games reddit. Good shit
I’m still surprised slam is so talked about, never thought the premise was too enticing. Granted I didnt think tally ho’s was either but that stuff sold like hot cakes XD

Wha- bu- wait… am I the one Slammed! fan? :joy:

I don’t even like “Pro” Wrestling or know that much about it but I loved that story.

There are more of us! Also about 1,000,000Xs better than Morbius.

9 Likes

Sure it is, but I think this is a good example how sour people get If something is promised/ or people think is promised and then not delivered.

A good opportunity for an author to see, that it is important how a Game gets advertised. Again not aimed against you or HR.

I liked your game 50 btw. :+1: Very different than other games and Special in its setting and mechanics

2 Likes

I agree with that, and I think there is a bit of a problem with misleading advertising when it comes to video games in general and ChoiceScript games in particular (part of the problem is that the games are only allowed a certain amount of characters in their promotional blurbs)

Thank you! You are one of the few people who liked it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

ezgif-1-cf78c7c9c1

Slammed! deserves all the love. And it’s super rare that lesbian MCs get the highest number of ROs out of everyone. :star_struck:

14 Likes